El Camaleon Azul. an '08 V8 4x4 T4R built to go.....

zidaro

Explorer
Some pics of playing in a lil pit prior to all this snow we've gotten here in the E. Sierras!

E1C5D99C-3300-4C11-87FE-3B370E4C6484_zps4ns9nicg.jpg

B77E7799-828B-4A0F-8E4E-47A6C72635ED_zpscbkdtjeo.jpg

9400D213-D34F-462C-90B5-39E4163529E5_zpsgcc2culr.jpg

C400EF58-0E5B-4B8C-8137-544B03F7AB0A_zpsh1kmivpd.jpg

A4476CC6-AF0D-46A8-9ACE-56526B93556F_zpspofuc5n9.jpg

7B85AF45-044B-47B3-86A8-B58645EC74BB_zpsmryzcfka.jpg

zidaro

Explorer
And then theres Jan 23rd carnage!

4runner in foreground :) driveway pic.

IMG_3079_zpsjs9ucq3o.jpg

IMG_3078_zps80a2puvk.jpg

banks are getting tall around here. You won't be seeing any pics of 4runners "offroad" in the snow anywhere near my elevation anytime soon. Unless your sporting 40" tires running 0psi.

IMG_4920_zpsonbasz8j.jpg

zidaro

Explorer
We had a couple great weeks of spring, but Winter is back at it.
Skiing has be PHENOMENAL!!!!!

Escaped to baja for a few days of camping in Early March

IMG_5016_zpsjvga2uzf.jpg

IMG_5054_zpsctbklef4.jpg

DSC_2199_zpsajeb4zok.jpg

and a tour of Death Valley North.

DSC_2208_zpsnyla695c.jpg

DSC_2242_zpst5ssrmfy.jpg

DSC_2255_zpsuvftffcf.jpg

IMG_5193_zpscwydcove.jpg

DSC_2283_zpsbd5wgf7y.jpg

DSC_2314_zpsffehuo8x.jpg

DSC_2342_zpsx7obb9yw.jpg

Neither in the 4runner :)

Was able to get a Gobi ladder mounted up just as the storm rolled in. Mounted up without issue, easy install. Nice to have a product fit the way it is supposed to the first time, without the need to struggle or fab something to make it work the way it should ;)

relatively low profile
no rattles or flexing noticeable
seems sturdy, held up to 18" snow so far .l.

F957145C-EDAD-4851-A3E8-730CC1FE0209_zpsjg1wappm.jpg

5CE01D6A-E3F8-497A-B48A-5035396341EB_zpsj2nq3hvd.jpg

chunko

Observer
I love this build! Your attention to detail is unparalleled.

The wife and I are driving up to Mammoth in June- any beginner or mild trails you recommend for a GX470 with a 2" Toytec/5100 lift and 32" tires? I don't have armor except for the OPOR sliders I replaced the running boards with for the little ones. Thanks.

zidaro

Explorer
I love this build! Your attention to detail is unparalleled.

The wife and I are driving up to Mammoth in June- any beginner or mild trails you recommend for a GX470 with a 2" Toytec/5100 lift and 32" tires? I don't have armor except for the OPOR sliders I replaced the running boards with for the little ones. Thanks.

Shoot me a PM before you guys are headed up. Id love to go for a cruz. Lots of places to go, this year will have many limitations on trail selection due to snow. Higher altitude trails, along the Sierras specifically, in June will likely still be completely covered. But the Whites, Glass, and Inyo ranges are filled with places to explore.
Bring your ski gear, Mammoth will be open till atlas 4th of July weekend.

chunko

Observer
Yes, snow-play is our main reason for the trip and I will definitely let you know when we head up there- I believe it's the weekend of June 17 (I didn't realize it was Father's Day when I booked the lodging).

zidaro

Explorer
The sun is out and days are longer!!! Yay.
Nice to not have to blast down to the high deserts for dry trails!

Local fire roads are getting fun again. Ridiculous snowpack this year in the E. Sierras. Still completely inaccessible at higher elevations, but lower in the valleys its starting to melt off.
Covered with huge patches of snow, can be solid or sometimes it collapses a couple feet deep and can suck you in. Snow islands are gapped with small ponds, some get up to frame height but the earth underneath is generally good traction.

IMG_5364_zpslrfbe2bw.jpg

Such high granite composite makes it not really mud, but sandy slop. Usually an easy cleanup.

IMG_5365_zps6pm9wbhe.jpg

zidaro

Explorer
Scored a Prinsu Design Studios roofrack at a good price from a Group Buy.
www.prinsudesignstudio.com

Lightweight, sturdy, flat, very modular, but my favorite design feature is its sleek low profile style.
Took awhile to arrive (months), but showed up undamaged by UPS and the install was simple albeit time consuming. Wasn't short any hardware! Good job Zach! (Prinsu owner)
Laid it all out, and bolted it together on a level floor, liberal application of the copper anti seize! Assembly was refreshingly simple, everything fit together PERFECTLY! did i say that already?

IMG_5377_zpsbt7qis4w.jpg

The 4th gen Runner has a rack already, though they suck for carrying anything, this makes install a breeze as the new rack just bolts right up into the existing mounts. No drilling or fuss required. OEM rack removal is simple.
Prinsu recommends a buddy to install- I did it solo without any issue or scrapes/dents on my roof. Once assembled on the floor. Held it over my head, climbed onto a step ladder and tire, flipped it upright into the roof gently, aligned it onto the included spacers, bolted it down.

Looks good!

Road Noise- at highway speeds
NONE with sunroof closed. It is no different than stock.
sunroof open. Of course you can hear wind, nothing abnormal or excessive that i would attribute to the new rack.

Standing on it- rack itself does not flex or distort. I can slightly bow a single crossbar if i stand on just one in the center concentrating my weight. I think this should equate to a very sturdy support platform for well distributed loads.

My intentions are to someday have a RTT. But realistically- I will use it to carry duffle bags, camping equipment, rotopax 4 gal gas can, maybe a spare tire on occasion, high-lift, annual x-mas tree, and whatever a run to the hardware store might require. I think this rack is going to handle all that with ease and style.

I purchased the front fairing with a lighter cutout. Still need to get on that one! Theres a nice box in the garage ;)
would like to pickup an awning as well.
so many things, so few $$ and hours each day!

some shots on its virgin drive.

IMG_5384_zpsecguzjkk.jpg

IMG_5385_zpsmktfzn9c.jpg

IMG_5380_zpsehvqcf8w.jpg

IMG_5381_zpsgwqgwgxu.jpg

IMG_5382_zpsfbve6gh9.jpg

IMG_5383_zpspyz7pqfd.jpg

Curious to see if vibrations will be transmitted when long washboard roads are travelled.
Let ya know :)

rickashay

Explorer
The rack looks great!

I also picked one up during the GB. Very happy with it as well. Although I think I may have got the wrong spacer blocks for my roof, mine looks like the mountain feet sit up slightly taller.

Curious, where did you buy the Gobi ladder?

zidaro

Explorer
Slipped this guy onto the front of the roof . Now I've got some wind whistle at speed. Need to try a few little adjustments to see if it can be resolved. Not Horrid, just can hear it whistling with the sunroof open. Think its coming from under the rack at front dam so I'm going to slip a trim piece in there.

F26D2B16-7E0D-4AF1-B4CA-92BF6D1C26E6_zpsi8zsqx8t.jpg

Also finally got some time in the garage and outside now that the weather is less Winterlike. Tabbed up a mount tray for my Aux. Fuse box and circuit breakers. Bought a prewired bussmann box from Skygear awhile ago. They are Tits!
Panel started out as a spare piece of Alum. diamond plate. I used some super thin cutting board plastic from the hardware store to make a template of where the plate is to mount and all the cutouts for the accessories, then traced it over and cut it out with a sawsall and air saw. Filed it to dial it in.

8F8D0270-A336-47CE-8383-515E07CCBF2E_zpsvqqqygib.jpg

A70CB3F6-6AFD-4FAC-BAEB-D1F6D9371A19_zpsfgkdteja.jpg

7261D662-F532-4CA5-8017-50EB9C684747_zpstxnhuezz.jpg

Still need to wire everything in. Fits though. :)

zidaro

Explorer
Working too much, but did get a chance to continue on the wiring project a lil bit.

Drilled a nice hole in my roof :Wow1: But then sealed it up quite well using a product i love, the Scanstrut deck seal. marine sailing product. http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|328|2289986|2289996&id=1351907
Ive used them on my poptop camper roof and toy hauler roof to run wiring for solar, they have held up over 5years of Sierra Snow, Ice, and Rain. No question, they work to seal cables run thru roofs.
Still damn nerve racking to drill holes in a completely good roof.
Ran power and ground for the light bar, and a 16g and 12g power/ground on Weatherpack plugs for future needs?? Rather have it done than not. can always just plug in a solar panel and wire it to a controller. Or scene lighting, or RTT lighting and power.?? who knows.

IMG_5407_zpsisq0bpku.jpg

IMG_5412_zpshdlxfmwt.jpg

Grounds i terminated on the inside of roof under the headliner. Ran power wiring thru the side panel, along with a cable to power an 8 switch panel i installed on the headliner above the sunroof controls (forgot to take a pic of that) :) fun for later.

IMG_5413_zpsw4euxosj.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman