El Malpais National Monument, eastern NM

Richie

Adventurer
The wife and I drove 90 minutes west of town to El Malpais(badlands in spanish) a few weeks ago. Its volcanic features include jagged spatter cones, a lava tube cave system extending at least 17 miles, and fragile ice caves. Unfortunately we didn't have much time to explore any caves. But here are some pics.

Picture560.jpg

Picture562.jpg

Picture563.jpg

Picture564.jpg

Picture565.jpg

Picture571.jpg

Picture572.jpg

Picture575.jpg

Last edited:

Richie

Adventurer
There are a few 4x4 only roads through out the park. Some went over lava which was cool. But again due to time constraints I didn't explore to much or take many pics.

Picture579.jpg

Picture583.jpg

Picture584.jpg

Picture586.jpg

Picture587.jpg

kai38

Explorer
Thanks for the pictures, not what I was expecting of the area. I'm heading there next month. Starting in Aztec NM & heading to the Gila sticking to dirt roads or back roads.
:clapsmile

KMW

Thanks, that brings back memories! My great-grandfather was an adventurer and gold prospector. In his later years he wrote his memoirs, and those have been handed down through the family. I read them when I was a young teenager; he passed through El Malpais and Acoma a couple of times. Inspired by his tales my buddies and I trekked out there for our high school senior trip, my first overland adventure.

Thanks again, I need to return to that place!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears