Electric chainsaw for specific purpose

WOODY2

Adventurer
Most of the pics in this thread show wood raised on some type of bench/stand. Using a hand saw on a log on the ground is not going to fly. Realistically if the tree has been down for a while the time you would spend finding someone to cut it up for you shouldn't matter. Age ,wood condition/location and lack of proper equipment point to getting someone else to cut it up.

NorthwestDriver

If you go chainsaw, buy some chaps at a minimum. Face shield would be a plus.

The electric chain saws are dangerous because they have so much torque, most (all?) of the tear away chaps that can stop a chainsaw and prevent serious injury are ineffective against electric chain saws.

For small wood, I use a reciprocating saw. It’s slower, but safer, and a more versatile tool around the home. You can buy 6-10” blades for them so you can cut fairly large rounds if time isn’t a constraint. And the blades are disposable, so cutting on the ground isn’t a problem. You really want to avoid running chains through dirt, it will dull the blade near immediately.

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
I checked my saw. It's a 14" Homelite corded. It feels very safe to me. Light, easy to control. I cut myself lightly on the leg once with a gas saw because I was tired and the weight of the saw pulled my arm down after the cut.

Fishenough

Creeper

These saws are fast, faster many times working along side friends using reciprocating saws.

Wind down trees happen on Vancouver Island back road exploring, and you need something when they come down trapping you in. Any chance of wind I do carry a gas saw, but the trail saw has cut through a 18 inch log across the road with a little sweat. Evenings in the Campgrounds use it for a little firewood when I don't want to bring out the noisy gas saw.
3bb76fa67e5844aee7b7fbff2dff12c0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
I have a Greenworks 40V chainsaw. They also make an 80V version. IT has all the features I needed. 16" Oregon bar, 2-3 hours of runtime from a 4Ah battery, and fits in a standard chainsaw case.

I used it to clear a pine tree that fell in the back of my property. It was roughly 18-24" around at the base. It did stall down if I tried to push too much into the cut. Mostly I just let the saw cut, and it went through the whole tree smoothly.

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
Since I first started this thread, there has been a change in my situation. I got an EGO battery-powered lawnmower and love it! My goal now is to start collecting wood from a nearby national forest. I would only be cutting a couple of bushels each time I pass through the forest. Up to about 6" in diameter.

(1) Would a 14" EGO do the job?

(2) Would the 5 amp battery from the lawnmower be too heavy for the chainsaw?

zoblo

Observer
I bought an ego lawn mower couple of years ago and love it too. I think it would be fine with the what you want to cut and the 5 amp battery. I bought the 16 inch ego chainsaw over the 14 inch mainly to get the bigger battery since it wasn't that much more. Seems the battery is the biggest cost. From what I remember the 14 inch comes with a 2.5 amp. Anyway, my saw with the battery weighs about the same as my inexpensive 16 inch gas poulan.

Reactions: WVI

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears