Electric Winch Vs. 10K lbs. Come along

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I used and hauled around a griphoist for years when I was fixing hiking trails in the adirondacks. Definitely a cool machine but way too cumbersome and large and dealing with the cable is just a PITA. I second the rec for just getting a winch. Comealong will pretty much be a major major PITA and probably quite unsafe as well, realistically. Too much setting up/reset etc...

Scott Brady

Founder
For the least expensive route, I would set-up a hi-lift for proper winching. Total investment would be around $150, and it would work well for most scenarios, plus you have the advantage of a tool that can be used for multiple situations.

I have a Black Rat Tirfor winch, and typically bring it on any technical trails, especially ones that are muddy or covered in snow.

Black Rat

Both of these solutions are acceptable for most desert environments, of course complimented with a good shovel ;)

But for any serious recovery work, wet environments, extreme terrain, nothing replaces the efficiency and safety of a vehicle mounted powered winch. :ylsmoke:

toy_tek

Adventurer
2 or 3 Tons....isn't that just 4-6k lbs? Despite the obvious quality of the product, those weight ratings seem very inadequate for the intended purpose.

Note that is DEAD LIFT rating...

from the above referenced Power Puller site:
* 2 ton unit: 2 ton (4,000 lbs.) double line / 1 ton (2,000 lbs.) single line
* 3 ton unit: 3 ton (6,000 lbs.) double line / 1½ ton (3,000 lbs.) single line
* Ratings are based on "dead lift" (lifting an object straight up, not dragging or pulling) The commonly used drag/pull rating ratio is 2:1 (double the dead lift rating)

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Yes, for heavy recovery, etc, a powered winch is better. But I didn't get that as the need from the OP. If he can do self recovery with a bit of digging and planning, then a hand winch should be more than enough. He's not trying to extricate himself from door handle deep mud.

Of course another option is a Lewis Winch.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
For the least expensive route, I would set-up a hi-lift for proper winching. Total investment would be around $150, and it would work well for most scenarios, plus you have the advantage of a tool that can be used for multiple situations.

But for any serious recovery work, wet environments, extreme terrain, nothing replaces the efficiency and safety of a vehicle mounted powered winch. :ylsmoke:

Any time the Maharishi chimes in, I listen. This prompted a little more research and I am on my way to buy a 60" Hi-Lift Xtreme. I already have the Hi-Lift kit and will also be getting some more chain and a tree strap.

This, in conjunction with my old hi-lift, shovels, sand ladders, some training and patience, should provide the solution I am seeking. If I am going into known dangerous territory, I will ride with my buddy in his Range Rover Classic!

Thanks for the suggestion Scott!

Tennmogger

Explorer
Any time the Maharishi chimes in, I listen. This prompted a little more research and I am on my way to buy a 60" Hi-Lift Xtreme. I already have the Hi-Lift kit and will also be getting some more chain and a tree strap.
...chop...

A nice accessory for use with a Hi-Lift for 'winching' is a length of Dyneema (no stretch) rope, preferably with a protective sleeve. I have bought several used "stays" off sailboats for this use. Most have an eye in at least one end. A rope ties to several trees very easily by making a wrap(s) around one or more, then tying to another, making taking up slack very easy. Chain and hooks work fine too but get heavy.

Tennmogger

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Gotta have it

all these come along products are just a compromise from what you really want and need.

A winch

I have a WARN 9000 lb. winch. I also have a 4 ton come along. There are things you can do with a come along that you cannot do with a winch and visa-versa.

A come along is an essential for any one who wheels alone or on a regular basis. I have made the transition from very "called in the middle of the night" to very "stuck" to very "hero" with the aid of my trusty come along.

A come along has the distinct advantage of versatility in direction when used on a vehicle with recovery points all around. I have literally pulled out sideways before, not to mention kept my rig from tipping over going through a tight spot (Ground looked shaky next to a creek, then it gave way under driver side of the truck.... long story).

Best solution is both winch and come along with snatch blocks, but come along is crucial.

Good luck,

michaelgroves

Explorer
A vehicle-powered winch is easier and better in almost all cases. However, a come-along and good rigging can do everything a winch can (just more slowly, and with more effort), and it's more versatile. So IMO, if you're off somewhere remote with just one vehicle, a Tirfor or Highlift jack or similar is probably a better bet (you wouldn't deliberately get yourself into any winching situation anyway, solo, so either way, it's an emergency item).

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I would really like a Tirfor, but they are stupid expensive here new, so I'm asking my wife's folks to keep an eye out for one at boot sales, and just pick it up next time I'm in the UK. Just have to figure out the models I'm interested in. I don't want one that uses 5/8" cable. ;)

Spikepretorius

Explorer
A come along/ tirfor type winch is the absolute last thing that I will ever load in my truck. For a host of reasons.
I don't understand why people even consider them.
(no offence to any sensitive come along fans) :peepwall:

Toy-Roverlander

Adventurer
A nice accessory for use with a Hi-Lift for 'winching' is a length of Dyneema (no stretch) rope, preferably with a protective sleeve. I have bought several used "stays" off sailboats for this use. Most have an eye in at least one end. A rope ties to several trees very easily by making a wrap(s) around one or more, then tying to another, making taking up slack very easy. Chain and hooks work fine too but get heavy.

Tennmogger

I have thought long and hard about this one. I would have loved some good lenghts of Dyneema. But it's just so stupendously expensive stuff. I decided to go for chain. At €1.20 a metre, that's a LOT cheaper than Dyneema.

So I've got the High lift Xtreme, winch kit for the high lift. And on my 'to buy' list are those composite waffle boards and a ground anchor. Carrying that, plus the other essentials like shovel and straps and stuff I can get out of practically anything by myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman