electrical systems

punisher1130

Adventurer
I would love to have a power wagon personally, would clear a lot of headaches, but they are way our of my price range even the ones from the 80's so I am making due with what I got. I do plan on going bigger on the cable, that was a given, but I will check out DCPE alts. I prefer to keep my belt too but fortunately my truck has 3 different belt sizes and currently the belt I have now is the middle size so I may have more wiggle room with that. For my battery it just sits on a open try with a bracket that goes over the top so I may have a easier time with a larger battery, maybe small modifications to the tray it self if anything.

punisher1130

Adventurer
Checked out DCPE and turns out they have alternators for my truck specifically with the same amp rating as the power wagon, I'm sold lol.

punisher1130

Adventurer
Thank you very much, that saved a lot of headaches with the alternator, now I just need to be sure with the battery and I am all set.

lwg

As others have mentioned avoid Odyssey batteries. I have 2 currently and have replaced both in the past 2 years. Even upgraded alternators don't work well with Odyssey's as most can't sustain mid 14 volts log enough to top up the batteries. When mine finally die I'm going with Deka group 34 AGM. Many, many store brands are this battery including the latest Sear Die Hard. They come with a 3 year warranty, the Odyssey warranty is just about useless now days as they easily find ways to void it, if you battery has ever been dead they void the warranty. That makes a lot of sense...

As for Quality Power Alternators, I just put a 220a unit in my rover, it failed within 4 weeks. Sent it back and they replaced it. The verdict is still out on that unit but I am optimistic.

Sent from my Toaster

punisher1130

Adventurer
I think I have a die hard battery now but I don't think its a higher CCA or anything, the label is worn out and not readable for that part. Here is a good question though, completely forgot about this battery, ever heard of never die batteries? Those are the batteries that are made with metals that allows the alternator to charge it in bout 5 minute from dead or low charge and has that button on them that activates a reserve within the batter to allow it to start up when the battery is dead.

Here is a video link on it>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxL_MyGZkDI

Last edited:

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
As others have mentioned avoid Odyssey batteries. I have 2 currently and have replaced both in the past 2 years. Even upgraded alternators don't work well with Odyssey's as most can't sustain mid 14 volts log enough to top up the batteries. When mine finally die I'm going with Deka group 34 AGM. Many, many store brands are this battery including the latest Sear Die Hard. They come with a 3 year warranty, the Odyssey warranty is just about useless now days as they easily find ways to void it, if you battery has ever been dead they void the warranty. That makes a lot of sense...

As for Quality Power Alternators, I just put a 220a unit in my rover, it failed within 4 weeks. Sent it back and they replaced it. The verdict is still out on that unit but I am optimistic.

Sent from my Toaster

That has not been my experience. My odysseys have been great; I have a group 65 and two group 31's. I did have an issue with my starting battery. I thought it was because it sat for a year before I installed it. It was replaced with no issue by a dealer in Riverside, ca. Maybe your bad experience is due to the dealer you are using.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman