Electrical voltages and engine types.

DAN87N

Hello, I have a question regarding the 4x4 canter range from 1998-2006 in regard to the engines fitted and electrical operating voltages also. As far as I can see there are 24 and 12 volt models. I'm also interested to know how people have managed the issues of running 24 volts but using 12 volt gear still. I'd also like to know of any potential issues with any of the motors that anyone is aware of. I know about things like transfer shift cables etc from lots of reading on this forum but can't seem to find the info I require how ever I get the idea they are quite bulletproof. I am planning on purchasing a crew cab and doing a slide on camper mod in the next 12 months as a step up from my td42 patrol and camper trailer but would like to carefully select the vehicle taking all pros and cons of each into account. In case it is different in overseas markets I am located in Australia, I am a trade qualified mechanic however it it difficult to find detailed information of the nature I require on the web. Any comments or help would be greatly appreciated.

gait

Explorer
comment from wrecker while I was trying to find a replacement heater (blower) fan for 2005 FG649E ... "good point, I was forgetting that from 11/02 onwards they were 12v".

Not really relevant to question but I found a fan from a Lancer CE that fitted with minor modification to screw holes and windscreen washer reservoir at $20 vs the $200 asked for used truck part.

DAN87N

Ok that helps a bit as I'd prefer to go 12 volt. As for you saying that isn't really relevant to the question no maybe not exactly however I leaned something new so I would call it a win. It's amazing the difference between genuine and non genuine parts and sometimes cross referencing part numbers between different makes and models can do for price.. Sometimes not the way you would expect it to go.

Joe917

Explorer
I can't comment on the Canter, I am however running a 24volt truck with a 12 volt house battery bank. The vehicle and the camper are electrically separate except for a Stirling 24-12 battery to Battery charger. Simple solution.

kerry

Expedition Leader
My 99Fg in the USA is 12 volts. Truck still has two 12 volt batteries though, wired parallel. I ended up dividing them up with a switch so I can run on either, both or none. The none was necessary since the batteries were losing charge in storage for some reason. It's nice to have a back up battery.

DAN87N

Ok I was trying to get my head around either running dual alternators one 24 one 12. 24 for truck and 12 for house batteries or a dcdc charger. however the trucks I'll be looking at it would seem will be 12 anyway wich makes life a bit easier. Thanks for the helpful info

LeishaShannon

Adventurer
FYI - The isuzu's are still 24v.

Our house bank is 24v and a pair of DC-DC converters drop that down to 12v for the few items we couldn't get in 24v. 24v has some advantages over 12v for house use - half the cable size for the same power, less voltage drop, and better efficiency for inverters. The more power hungry systems (flood lights, pumps, fans, inverters and solar ) all run at 24v and 12v is used for inside lights and other less power hungry devices.

DAN87N

I did look at the advantages of current draw on some items on 24 vs 12 however since almost all accessories are already fitted to my patrol and camper and will be reused on the truck. 12 volt would be easier for things like my hid lights, shower etc as it seems a waste to spend on the same items I have that are under 4 years old

selfy

Observer
24-12 volt inverters are available, you can run most car fridges on 24v and use an inverter to run 12v lights,pumps and accessories that only run "part time"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior