Elevator bed DIY leveling

Ramdough

Adventurer
All,

I am building an elevator bed and trying to decide how much effort I want to put into it.

I can easily have it travel up and down parallel to the floor.

I am contemplating making it so I can level the bed, but adding flexible joints to the track system would make everything much more complicated.

I could also bring a lot of block of wood to stack under the tires.

Truck is 27’ long 6x6 and +/-25,000 lbs, so I would need lots of heavy wood blocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deleted Member 183

Hey Man! Glad to see you working on your rig!

You know me well enough by now that you won't be surprised when I suggest... DUMB IT DOWN!

In Casa I used to pack those "lego like" leveling pads, then bailed on them because I park the truck with a left front tire high bias. Most of the time it is just fine up in the "Studi lounge". Worst case, I just pull a few sticks of our cured Coastal Red Oak firewood ( the best for BBQ) and use them to make an appropriate platform for the deprived wheel.

So are you going to post up the progress on your build... Or just leave us guessing? ;)

Last edited:

lost1

I am going to add an elevator bed into my camper in the coming weeks. I won't try to level out the bed because I felt that with my previous ( thick and soft) mattress it tends to compensate for variations in terrain. If angles get ridiculous I have some cribbage for my jack and can throw rocks or whatever under the wheels to sort it out. I did see a DIY on youtube where the guy used ratchet straps which could allow some adjustment. Check the 15 minute mark on this clip

Ramdough

Adventurer
I am going to add an elevator bed into my camper in the coming weeks. I won't try to level out the bed because I felt that with my previous ( thick and soft) mattress it tends to compensate for variations in terrain. If angles get ridiculous I have some cribbage for my jack and can throw rocks or whatever under the wheels to sort it out. I did see a DIY on youtube where the guy used ratchet straps which could allow some adjustment. Check the 15 minute mark on this clip

I saw his video and was going to do something similar. I did not find the exact motor he used on Amazon. Most were smaller or much more expensive. Have you selected a motor yet?

Ramdough

Adventurer
Hey Man! Glad to see you working on your rig!

You know me well enough by know that you won't be surprised when I suggest... DUMB IT DOWN!

In Casa I used to pack those "lego like" leveling pads, then bailed on them because I park the truck with a left front tire high bias. Most of the time it is just fine up in the "Studi lounge". Worst case, I just pull a few sticks of our cured Coastal Red Oak firewood ( the best for BBQ) and use them to make an appropriate platform for the deprived wheel.

So are you going to post up the progress on your build... Or just leave us guessing? ;)

Sent you a text…..

lost1

I saw his video and was going to do something similar. I did not find the exact motor he used on Amazon. Most were smaller or much more expensive. Have you selected a motor yet?

I am going to use the motor from one of my electric camper jacks. It may have slower rpm. I will also try to keep the whole motor assembly inside the bed structure which may require a chain drive to the main shaft. I was thinking of bicycle chain/sprockets

Deleted Member 183

I was thinking of bicycle chain/sprockets

Well if you end up going that route... PM me with your addresses and I'll send each of you a handfull of 22T or 24T stainless chainrings. I've probably got over a hundred of each size of them.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior