Ellsworth Epiphany

SLOwag

Adventurer
I've been off a Mtn bike for about four years after my fork exploded through a turn. I have the urge to get back into the dirt and don't want to rebuild the old Fisher (anybody remember prestige tubing?). I need a bike that climbs and descends equally well and will give up the quick steering on single track to get the climb/descend attributes

So I have a chance at a built '06 for $2500 and have read some reviews...but what say the Portal that knows this bike. Thanks

Topmounter

Observer
I've always liked the Ellsworth bikes quite a bit. When I bought my Blur, they didn't climb quite as nice as the Blur, but it looks like they've got that worked out now. The Truth that I demo'd did have a little better feel on the descents and the build quality was superior to the Blur.

Just make sure the bike you buy fits you properly. No matter how good the deal is, if it doesn't fit and/or isn't comfortable then you're just going to be miserable.

TD64

Adventurer
Ellsworth is one of the worst companies that I have ever dealt with for warranty issues. I would recommend that you research their current business practices and frame reliability before you buy. I suggest doing some forum searches at www.mtbr.com (I post as TD64 over there too, so, my rants will be easy to find).

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
I road a friends the other day. It of course depends how its setup, but I thought it felt like a dirt bike. Heavy, clumsy, but could hand ANYTHING. That thing is stout!
I guess it all depends on the built and whats put on it. This one was way too beefy for an xc/all mountain bike and really leaned towards being a downhill bike. In summary, :drool:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
TD64 said:
Ellsworth is one of the worst companies that I have ever dealt with for warranty issues.
Interesting thing to mention. I looked at Ellsworth, Intense, Yeti and Santa Cruz when I bought my bike back in 2003. I went with the Blur frame set because of ride (VPP), reputation and, yes, price. Could not have been happier with the choice. Mine broke about 6 months out of warranty and they sent me a replacement Blur LT (and gave me the choice of a XC or LT) just the same. Santa Cruz is the customer service opposite it seems.

TD64

Adventurer
DaveInDenver said:
Interesting thing to mention. I looked at Ellsworth, Intense, Yeti and Santa Cruz when I bought my bike back in 2003. I went with the Blur frame set because of ride (VPP), reputation and, yes, price. Could not have been happier with the choice. Mine broke about 6 months out of warranty and they sent me a replacement Blur LT (and gave me the choice of a XC or LT) just the same. Santa Cruz is the customer service opposite it seems.

Nice! I wish Ellsworth had treated me that way as I loved their Truth bike.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I have a friend who knows Tony Ellsworth, worked for them, still calls himself friends, but can corroborate your sentiments on the company, business practices, etc, unfortunately. At used, seems like a good deal. They are very (honestly unjustly) expensive bikes, seem to ride well, usually very light and reasonably well built. I believe they are actually manufactured/assembled by an aircraft manufacturing company, and are made domestically, much like Turner Bikes. In the common world they are considered probably in the top 5 of boutique producers, very popular around here though I personally would probably purchase a different brand first.

I would second the information about fit. What I've found is if you don't know your sizing or preferred geometry use the www.competitivercyclist.com fit calculator in the bottom right corner for a good ballpark effective top tube and/or seat tube. Then subtract about 2cm from the stem length and you have a good current day fit and setup. If you post up your height and your beliefs as to arm/torso length (proportional or if something is accentuated, for example I have long legs/arms, but shorter/regular torso) then we can probably tell you if it will fit without having to spend the 20+ minutes to measure and plug your info into the fit calculator. This will help with any bike purchase, particularly if you are on a cusp of sizing (between large and medium, for example).

Hope it helps...
Andre

Last edited:

SLOwag

Adventurer
A lot of good dialog here. Thanks

I don't need a boutique bike, in fact I would prefer a sleepr that does everything I ask of it. Let me stress that I like to climb so I need a bike that responds well and feels light and I always beat all of my friends down the hill back in the day. I understand the fit issue but I'll throw out this information: I'm 5'-10", 165lbs with a shorter torso but long arms (not quite a knuckle dragger ;) ). I'm a little bit odd in that I like being stretched out on my Mtn bike with the seat back on the rails, longer stem and an almost straight bar. My crit bikes were 54cm back when I could still ride a crit and I would jack up the seat post. This might not fit conventional wisdom for fit and sizing but I liked it.

I read the reviews on mtbr and most folks seem to like it, the bike is built with the following: Medium Frame, Fox Tail Fork, XTR Rear Derailer, Truvativ Stylo Cranks and Bottom Brackets, Fox Float R.P.3 Rear Shock, Hayes El Camino Brakes, F.S.A.Bars & Stem, Cane Creek Head Set, DT Swiss EX 5.10 Wheels, Dt Swiss 240 hubs.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Take 99% of what you read on the MTBR forums with a grain....er block of salt. That is the largest collection of bike yahoos around. I love to read the reviews guys give knocking a bike because of poor shifting. Uh....that's the mechanic, not the bike you dope!!!

I'm one of those bike industry types that made an oath to never knock any particular brand of bike, but Elsworth.......those bikes.....are....... I can't do it. I can't say anything nice so I just won't say anything.

Not to bang on the 29er drum again, but have you thought about a 29er?

Topmounter

Observer
DaveInDenver said:

Was your first Blur an original or was it an LT? If it was an original, I'm wondering how different the original is from the LT. I rode a demo XC this winter and wasn't crazy about the handling compared to my original Blur.

TD64

Adventurer
Flounder said:
Take 99% of what you read on the MTBR forums with a grain....er block of salt. That is the largest collection of bike yahoos around. I love to read the reviews guys give knocking a bike because of poor shifting. Uh....that's the mechanic, not the bike you dope!!!

Wow, that is a broad brush! Well, there is one person on the mtbr board you should meet... folks, meet Tony Ellsworth:
http://forums.mtbr.com/search.php?searchid=6961877

Please don't miss this thread, especially after Tony posts his reply:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=23087

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Topmounter said:
Was your first Blur an original or was it an LT? If it was an original, I'm wondering how different the original is from the LT. I rode a demo XC this winter and wasn't crazy about the handling compared to my original Blur.
My original was a 2003 Blur (i.e., the Blur 'Classic'). A small number of them had a flaw in the way the seat tube was butted and can fracture prematurely. Santa Cruz gives the owner a 2 year warranty out of the box for regular problems, but apparently this problem was not a typical abuse or singular mistake. Turned out that a range of serial numbers of the early 2003 Blur frame that were only large size had this flaw and they were honoring the warranty beyond the original 2 years if the frames failed. I bought mine in March of 2003 and it was one with the flaw, so in late October of 2005 when it broke, Santa Cruz offered to repair my frame.

At that point the Blur line had split to the XC and LT. I opted to get the LT, which is really more appropriate for what I do with it (all mountain riding in the Rockies and around the west rather than a hardcore racer). The current XC is supposed to share the same geometry as the original Blur (i.e. Classic), just that SC lightened the XC up a bit as the target is primarily adventure and endurance racers. The LT shares a similar rear end with a change to the VPP linkages to increase the travel to 145mm. The front end is designed to safely accommodate up to a 150mm travel forks (I run 140mm Fox) with additional gusseting and a slightly steeper head angle than the XC. If you run a 100mm fork on the LT it will be slightly more twitchy than the XC with a 100mm fork.

It's been 3 years since I rode my Classic (or an XC), but I can tell you that the LT rides fantastic. I run a large frame with a 120mm Thomson stem and a laid back Thomson seat post. I'm 6 feet tall on the nose with a 33" inseam and the front end is just barely light on very steep climbs (just keeping my head down is all it takes to keep the wheel solidly down). I race it in 24 hour races and have done as far as 50 mile races on it. Sure I get outclimbed, but I honestly don't expect that short of a very high zoot 24 lbs Blur XC would I really shave much time. I just point down and go and make up some time there. I have pretty much no desire to really change to something else, well except the new Blur LT with the upgraded lower pivot. But I've never ridden the new one, so that's only marketing gibberish that makes me interested.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I wanted to mention I had several good days in Moab on a Blur LT last year (it was an '07, so the same as Dave's I think) and loved it, very good feeling/riding/stable, and plush bike :) It is cool to see people hauling around these slightly heavier frames on I suppose the same type of terrain I'm riding (95% XC) and doing well, 50 mile rides, etc.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
TD64 said:
Wow, that is a broad brush! Well, there is one person on the mtbr board you should meet... folks, meet Tony Ellsworth:
http://forums.mtbr.com/search.php?searchid=6961877

Please don't miss this thread, especially after Tony posts his reply:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=23087
Yes, that was a broad brush. Guilty as charged. The MTBR bike reviews are worthless. The banter on the forum is slightly better. You have to sift through a lot of BS to find the bits of info that really count. Mountain biking as an industry is rife with "experts." Everyone on MTBR claims to have started riding with Ned, Tom, and Gary. I still work in a shop sometimes to help out a bud and it always cracks me up when people come in saying, "I read on MTBR ....." One guy said he read a post that suggested full suspension bikes consume 43% of your pedaling power. Hmmmm.....43%, huh? I gues Cliff Claven is posting on MTBR. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan