Elmo's Camper Build

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Don says his is around 350 pounds since its made of aluminum, I am not sure of the weight of the one I posted, but I hope it is very similar. I will know in a couple weeks... :)

I figure its a great place to start from since the boxes and doors are already built for you as well as fenders etc.

~James

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
I just found another box exactly like what you have on Craigslist... $200.00 bucks. I am going to pay for it in a couple weeks when we get to the states. It was mounted on a ranger rear, but I will be building my own frame rails. I also will just build a small rack for my RTT to mount on. I amd glad you are doing this one ahead of me...

Where did you get the new latches? The box I am getting has no keys, but I am wondering if it would be cheaper to get keys cut for it or buy new latches.

looks the same (very similar) to me?

That's a heck of a deal on the utility body. It does look very similar, however yours has the longer top box on both sides, where mine only has the long top box on the starboard side. I guess it just means you have to plan your space differently. Is the one pictured Aluminium? It's always hard to tell from pictures.

If it's Aluminum, it weighs in at 350lbs, the steel version is about 750lbs, at least the "Reading" brand beds like I have.

The stainless paddles are from a place called Easternmarine.com. They have a store front about 20 minutes from me here in Delaware and they were on sale for about $12, normally $15. Sure beats the $65 price from the utility body manufacturer. My paddles were worn, and mostly non-functional, so I just replaced them all.

Don

-

rain76king

Adventurer
Hey guys, I'm loving this thread! I had been thinking of doing this for a few years now. When I was looking for a m416 I kept seeing a few homebrew utility style trailers and was so tempted. I did find a m416 but I as well will be doing one of these builds hopefuly over the fall. Can't wait to see the results, maybe we'll cross paths as New Englanders! Stump, can't wait to see your build, I loved the xj thread, hell it's saved in my favorites!

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Thanks! I need to update the XJ thread....

The 'little old lady' doesnt know if its aluminum or not, but I will find out. Its a good deal either way. I just cant imagine this thing weighing 750 pounds...

~James

450 DUDE

Adventurer
Did you ask her to go out to it with one of her refrigerator magnets ?

If its aluminum that would be sweet!

ken

jagular7

Adventurer
I've seen them as well in fiberglass.

EDIT

Re-read the beginning posts to understand your goals.

For the top canvas area, check out the layout and design of Quicksilver campers. They are all canvas tops that flip open on poles that erect with the top. IIRC the canvas for the truck camper was under $500 with built in screens and large zipper windows.

Last edited:

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
I will use it for fridge and water tank storage. The fridge would be on a slide out the back end, and water tank up front. the rest of the space would be just random storage. I have enough crap that I would easily fill it up.

Don, sorry to hi-jack!

~James

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
More Done

Well, there is only 2 days of work this week, and we're leaving on Thursday morning, so I've really got to pull out the stops tomorrow, Tuesday, and at least I'll have most of the day on Wednesday to tie things up.

Anyway, my progress from last weekend and some of this weekend not spent doing family things (mother's day). Although, I did have my mom and wife (new mom) helping for a little bit of today. :eek:)

I'm short on time because I have to do some work-work, so I'll mainly just list the pictures for now and I'll come back later (probably tomorrow) to recap if the pictures don't speak for themselves.

img_4133.jpg

img_4135.jpg

img_4136.jpg

img_4146.jpg

img_4137.jpg

img_4141.jpg

The door and latch is done now, but I didn't get a picture of it... It came out pretty good.

img_4157.jpg

img_4163.jpg

img_4152.jpg

Hope you enjoy!

I still have to weld up a tailgate, finish a little bit of aluminum trim and caulking on the top, put another coat of vanish on the exposed wood, and change the hubs to a 5 on 5.5in for the matching tires/wheels that are on my Bronco. Other than that, it should at least be good for it's first trip on Thursday.

Don

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Nice progress..I was wondering how this build was going..:wings:

Good luck and here's hoping for nice weather!!

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
I haven't done any updates on this in a little while as I've been busy with some other projects, but the first camping trip went great. Towed the trailer about 1100 miles round trip down to White Rocks campground in the Jefferson National Forrest of Southwest Virginia. We only stayed 2 nights in the camper. The first night it was raining heavily, and the second it went down to 25 Deg F. But, overall the setup did great, but I definitely need to do some more work to it.

The bad parts were a long set-up time, the top bed is too heavy, and the old Ford Ranger leaf springs are a little too soft. Setup took me (mostly by myself because the wife was with the baby) about 1hr total. Now that is with the kitchen and everything, but still too long. I hope that a lot of that will go away once I get the canvas tent made up, and the onboard kitchen is completed. Also, because of the weight of the wooden top (about 250lbs) and the soft springs, it is a little too top heavy, and there was a significant amount of lean in the trailer when taking turns. I'm used to body lean, as I don't run sway bars on my truck, but the trailer would sometimes out lean the truck on off ramps and tight turns. Other than that, I need a little more tire clearance, so I think I'll add and "add-a-leaf" to the rear spring pack to make things a little stiffer and give some more height. Also, as noted, the top is too heavy. I have to figure out a way to lighten it up and still keep it strong enough. Fiberglass may be the answer, but it needs to support 400+ lbs sleeping, and about that much from canoes, wood, etc. on the roof when driving, so I'm not sure of the best option.

The good parts is that it towed great, and allowed me to take a lot (probably too much) stuff with us. The only thing I had in the truck on the trip was 3 adults, 1 kid, 1 dog, a small cooler and food. Everything else went in the trailer. 4 suit cases, tent, tarp, 12' ez-up, 2 camping boxes, 1 camping kitchen, camping stove, tools, lanterns, sleeping bags, chairs, 15 gallons water, 5 gallons fuel, propane, tarp poles, another BIG cooler, presents for my niece, etc. Even on a couple badly rutted Forest Service roads, it pulled great and articulated well, but did suffer a little from the body lean, and touched the body a couple times with the new 35's. No damage to either, other than putting a black marks on the rear of the fender wells. It also did well on the washboards, but I look forward to getting the brakes hooked up so the down hill turns aren't as exciting.

The overall weight fully loaded was about 300lbs heavier than I had estimated. The whole thing weighed 1750lbs excluding ice in the big cooler and the 5 gals of fuel, so say 1800lbs cruising down the road. Took the truck's mileage down about 1-1.5 mpg to 13mpg.

I'll post some more later about other thoughts and some questions for the group, but for now I'll just add some pictures. Enjoy.

During setup:

img_4203.jpg

img_4206.jpg

Mostly set up right before it started to rain for the rest of the night:

img_4209.jpg

img_4229.jpg

Enjoying breakfast after the 25 Deg F night:

campercamping.jpg

All the hiking (about 6 miles of AT) and camping kept the little guy (7.5 months) pretty tired:

loganbackback2.jpg

Last edited:

Xtreme XJ

Adventurer
Congrats. on the first outting...

Could you basicly leave the tent spread out on the lid just flat, maybe keep the poles together but partially broken down a bit and have a canvas or ?? flap to keep it basically inplace just colapsed so when it folds up it's hanging in a "pouch"...
Open the "lid" unzip the "pouch" the tent is basically spread out... slip the partially assembled poles into the tent and erect it... might help with set up time... I leave my air mattress in my tent... suck the air out then fold it up and stow it in the duffle... ready to go next time...

Enjoy !
Curt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78