End of the world

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Discussing when the Defender is leaving is proving to be every bit as boring as discussing when it would be coming back.
bongggg! LOL Very good point and you've made me realize I don't have a dog in this fight so I don't even know why I'm in this thread. Even the current Defender doesn't really interest me to any extent. Maybe I like the scuttle vents too much.

michaelgroves

Explorer
Independent suspension is not bad and the Range prove that when flexing.

Agreed!

However - and this is the crux of the matter - independent suspension, extensive use of electronics, and all the other changes they have made in newer Land Rovers might not be as well suited to the kind of environments and usage that Defenders have excelled at in the past. It is possible to admire the capabilities and advantages of the new vehicles and appreciate the (different) qualities and strengths of the old!

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Independent suspension is not bad
I guess I'm having a mental block. Without the aid of electronics, what keeps the diff from getting closer to the ground when the wheels stuff up in to the wings?
I can't find a diagram anywhere of the LR3 with coil suspension.

TeriAnn

Explorer
On the other hand, if they go with an LR3 type body/frame, IFS/IRS and so on, i.e., the LR3 platform, that vehicle won't be able to fill the role of today's Defender.

Don't worry about it. The LR3 is obsolete. Expect to see the LR4/Discovery 4 for maybe 2010. It appears that the TDV6 is finally coming to the US as a LR4 option to help boost LR's fleet mileage rating.

By the time there is a new Defender it might well be on a LR5 frame so all this speculation is just a meaningless exercise of panty twisting. "full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

About the only thing I would expect in a new Defender would be frame rails set farther apart and a larger engine bay allowing for the option of the full range of LR engines. Anything else is likely meaningless speculation and fear mongering.

discotdi

Adventurer
Teriann,
Where did you get the info about the TDV6 diesel? I have heard it is on the backburner now due to the price of fuel and the sluggish diesel suv sales. (merc. audi) It is true that the LR3 is a goner and the LR4 is coming in Sept. however, I don't think the basic platform has been changed. 370 Hp 5.0 v8 engine. I would love to see the new 3.0 twin turbo diesel in the USA.
Tom the newest edition of LRO magazine talks about the coil sprung D3. Also LRNA sold about 10-15 of them in the US. Most were donated to Katrina relief but some were sold. I have seen a red one in Atlanta.

check out www.media2010landrover.com for some good pictures of all LR 2010 models.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I saw somebody on a board somewhere who had a coil sprung LR3. Strangely, he was ridiculed by some hard-core types for having passed up "the best and only reason for buying an LR3."

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
No, not what I was looking for. I want something like the shop manual illustation for the D1.
D1-rear.jpg

I want to see what prevents this on the LR3 (found this in the D1 manual while looking for the above) :
SA-FIS.jpg

Which is a lot better than my crude attempt LOL
IFS.jpg

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
What exactly is the dropping off a ledge drawing supposed to show? I guess it's the impact flex? Is your drawing to scale in that it shows the differential in the independent suspension mounted higher in the body than the differential in a live axle? It doesn't look like it.

I've got what, 9" under my diff in the truck. I probably have that much under my minivan.

KevinNY

Adventurer
The LR3 uses what they call "Cross Link" to prevent what you are illustrating. Basically a valve connects the two air springs on each axle and makes them behave as a solid axle. ie, one side compresses and the air flows to the other airshock and it extends.

michaelgroves

Explorer
Which is a lot better than my crude attempt LOL
IFS.jpg

That's too funny! You must be proud of those, although I think some CAD experts might not think they are perfect... Firstly, it look like a uncomfortable ride, with the elliptical wheels. And why's the transfer box on the ground when you bump off the ledge? :ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78