Engel Power Cord 12v DC wiring. HELP!

PeteSinc

Hello. My 12v power cord for my Engel fridge is lost. I’m thinking of connecting it by putting two female crimped on spade connectors onto the pins sticking out of the power socket.

does anyone know which is the positive pin and which is negative pin that’s recessed into the fridge where the power cord plug would normally go.

My photo shows the sockets in the side of the fridge and the plug I’m referring to is the one on the left.... So is the upper pin positive or negative? I’m told that getting the connections wrong could blow the power supply unit in the fridge so I only have one chance to get itright. 760F9D1A-FF4C-4F36-8413-B281C929B5CE.jpeg

emulous74

May I ask why are you planning on making your own with the perceived risks, when a replacement cord is $30.00? Engel is more likely to support any issues you may get if you are using their power cords. It doesn't make sense to me to make it on your own as the savings would be very minor, but I might be missing something.

PeteSinc

Which dollars are you referring to? AUS? USD? Or maybe one of the numerous other countries usung their own version of dollars?

irrespective of your answer, your kind post adds nothing to solution that I seek.

i live in England and a replacement cord would cost around 50 British Pounds. I am hardwiring the fridge so dont need the cigarette/hella plug end. The block of plastic at the other end contains 2 female spade terminals of the kind that can be bought for a few British pence. Am I realy going to pay 50 British pounds for a block of plastic? I am retired and living in a British State Pension. The lowest in Europe. I would rather spend my money travelling than lining the pockets of rip-off dealers. And as for Engel Service? Not brilliant.

Thanks, and I hope this answers your question.

Now, can anyone answer mine?

Robert Bills

Explorer
. . . . Does anyone know which is the positive pin and which is negative pin that’s recessed into the fridge where the power cord plug would normally go. . . ?

Engel will know. Ask them.

Engel
900 Jupiter Park Drive
Jupiter, FL 33458
561-743-7419
https://www.engelcoolers.com/

Engel Australia
25 Silica Street
Carole Park QLD 4300
1300 302 653
https://www.engelaustralia.com.au/

International Contacts:
https://www.engelaustralia.com.au/contact-us/international-contacts/

NatersXJ6

Explorer
If I had to figure this out I would pull the fuse and check continuity between each pin of the cord and the power supply frame. Although, in doing so you might open it up enough to just look at where the wire goes.

I would like to think I wouldn’t jump someone’s s#%t on the internet for suggesting or asking something though. I get all sorts of “thanks but no thanks” level help when I ask questions in public... it comes with the territory.

PeteSinc

Brilliant. Thanks Herbie. I genuinely appreciate your help. Exact model I’ll need to check, but it’s an all metal exterior smallest model available when I bought it about 10 years ago. Still runs just fine. I believe the cord for it is the Engel “J” Cord.

I have been told that if I get the polarity wrong that this will cause significant damage to the Power Supply Unit. Do you know if this Is correct, or is my old age cynicism right to assume that this is just sales talk to persuade me to buy a 50 British Pounds power cord ?

Thanks again everyone.

Pete..

Last edited:

jgaz

Adventurer
@PeteSinc I have an older 35 quart model fridge (MT35F I think).

I purchased it used for a good price from the widow of an older gentelman. It worked fine on 120v AC but instantly blew the 10a fuse when plugged into 12v.

After two attempts I began to troubleshoot the unit and found that who ever had replaced the cigarette lighter plug had wired it backwards. I rewired a better quality plug correctly, and the unit has run flawlessly since then. NO long term damage to the power supply. YRMV.

Note: I later talked with the son of the widow during their garage sale. He admitted that the original plug was damaged when they put the fridge up for sale. He had installed a new plug but never tested it after the repair.
The fridge was running on 120v when I purchased it.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Brilliant. Thanks Herbie. I genuinely appreciate your help. Exact model I’ll need to check, but it’s an all metal exterior smallest model available when I bought it about 10 years ago. Still runs just fine. I believe the cord for it is the Engel “J” Cord.

I have been told that if I get the polarity wrong that this will cause significant damage to the Power Supply Unit. Do you know if this Is correct, or is my old age cynicism right to assume that this is just sales talk to persuade me to buy a 50 British Pounds power cord ?

Thanks again everyone.

Pete..
Try Here,

http://www.mps-trading.co.uk/engel-genuine-replacement-12v-power-cord~48

I don't know mps charge so much for it all of their prices are expensive, I gave up trying to buy a fridge from them because they seem to have trouble answering their flaming Phones, So I went and bought a Couple of ARB's

I just bought 3 spare Leads for my ARB Fridge Freezers for £15.00 each,

Hope that helps,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior