Engel vs ARB, battle of the frig

Power Wagon Family

I Hate Off Camber
I'm sure there is a thread deep in the forum search but I did not see it on the first few pages.

Looking to get a new frig. I had an ARB 50 in my last vehicle and was happy. So my plan is to do ARB again but this time get their 63qt since our family grew a little. I know some friends with Engels and have looked at the MT60 but it is missing some of the features I like that the ARB has. Still I would like to hear any pros and cons of ether one before I drop the cash. Thanks!

Power Wagon Family

I Hate Off Camber
NL are great just beyond my price point for my use. If I was going to live out of a 12v frig then yes I would spend the money on a NL.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
I have a 10 year old Engel 45 that has never had a problem. Gets used about a month+ per year and when it does it travels in the back of my Scout. A digital thermometer would be nice but I have an extra remote thermometer set up that I use so I can see the temp as I drive if I am curious. It holds a very stable temp only varying maybe a degree around the set temp. Never used the ARB. I had heard at the time of my purchase that Engel made the ARB. They sure looked the same with only the case color being the difference I noticed with cursory looking. Not sure about that anymore.
I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Darrell

Last edited:

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
ARB and Engel both make a great product and I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

I've had my Engel for close to 15 years now. Personally I like the metal body, and I like the Engel mounting system compared to the ARB. To me the ARB just looks plastic-y.

Power Wagon Family

I Hate Off Camber
Found an unbeatable deal on an ARB today and jumped, got the 63qt for 875$ approximately and free shipping! Check out AutoAnything.com their prices are competitive and on top of that they are offering 20% off and free shipping!

Crazy Schooner

Fortune's A Mistress
I picked up an ARB 80qt a couple months ago. Got it for $900 all in and it works perfect. Ended up buying the transit bag for it and it fits perfect in the truck. I would have considered an engel but not a huge market for those locally.

ARB%20Inside%20small-XL.jpg

nerdstar

Engel have been used in Australia for many decades. They're simply the best. ARB doesn't make fridges. They put their sticker on someone elses product. Engel make fridges.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
LOVE my 50 QT ARB. Had for roughly 8+ years ish? Zero problems. I'm sure they all cool the same but the ARB just LOOKS cooler. Sorry couldn't resist.

AndrewP

Explorer
Engel have been used in Australia for many decades. They're simply the best. ARB doesn't make fridges. They put their sticker on someone elses product. Engel make fridges.

I thought the Engel Fridges were made by Fujikawa in Japan? Mine was. Anyway, my Engel 45 has been flawless since 2004. It has outlasted some of my trucks. I would buy another tomorrow. Great piece of gear.

lysol

Explorer
LOVE my 50 QT ARB. Had for roughly 8+ years ish? Zero problems. I'm sure they all cool the same but the ARB just LOOKS cooler. Sorry couldn't resist.

Nice pun. I agree with the ARB being great. My 50qt has worked flawlessly for the past 1.5 years. We move it back and forth between the wife's and my Jeep all the time. Just a quick disconnect and reconnect and it's up and running again.

rtkraken

Been reading up on Engel vs ARB and learned that Dometic makes ARB's fridge to ARB's custom spec. Now it looks like Dometic may be running a bit with ARBs spec in their CFX models. Only a couple models available here in the US, But the price is better than comparative ARB or Engel. Anyone got one of these CFX units?

crusaderJK

Adventurer
Anyone got one of these CFX units?
I've had a CFX 35 for 2 years now and I'm happy with it. You're right, they're pretty much the same as the ARB. Display, controlls, features are all the same. Biggest difference is, that ARB use a Danfoss compressor, while Waeco use their own.
IMG_20150325_185722.jpg

rtkraken

How's the power consumption in your 35? More reading looks like their bigger dual zone unit actually uses less than the smaller one, but the dz looks huge! In one vid the person reaching into it was past their elbows! Your 35 looks nicely tucked in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12