Engine/trany Swap Recommendations?

KeepCruzin

Observer
Hey guys. I have a 1987 toyota FJ60 (actually I have three). The only drawback I found in my cruiser is that its incredibly under powered especially when fully loaded, or going up long grades.

I am seriously considering an engine and 5-speed swap for one of my rigs. If any of you have any recommendations as to what might be the best engine and trany combos I would love to hear.

I would prefer a turbo diesel and 5 speed swap. But Im totally open to other suggestions. (a good balance of power and fuel economy would also be great)

zimm

Expedition Leader
gm crate motor and an nv4500 is by far and away, the most economical, reliable, and powerful swap when cost of install and resale is factored in.

no one likes to hear that though.

merc

om 617
om 602
om 612

chronological age, and power in that order. along with complications on install. you will never drive enough to to make up the install cost.

you can use an isuzu box truck diesel, but the drivetrain is worth more than your best 60. you will never drive enough to make up the install cost.

any of the later model toyota diesels that you have to buy used 'as is' from Australia or se asia.. who would never ever ever beat the crap out their trucks so im sure youre spending twice as much as a new gm crate motor for something super nice with parts availability....

sell yours and find one someone selling that already took the hit diesel swapping. while it will seem expensive, it'll still be cheaper than paying to do it.

or, call AA and get the parts you need for a GM crate motor swap.

economy is NOT the reason to diesel swap a motor in a 60. power is not the reason to diesel swap a motor in a 60, especially in a fully loaded 60. long distance travel is the reason, but in the US, improved fuel tanks are a much more economical option than a drivetrain swap.

reece146

Automotive Artist
Great post by Zimm.

Gas is cheap, don't bother with diesel unless you really need/want it. The only diesel I'd bother with due to NVH is a Mercedes (likely OM617 but research others) and the Isuzu box truck engines (4D1T?) have good reputations. There is a thread on ih8mud where a guy is putting the Isuzu into his 80 series. It's a labour of love, you really need to want it.

Could get a period correct TLC diesel drivetrain from up here in Canada as well so that it all bolts in at least, could save some labour. TLC peeps think these drivetrains are made of gold and charge appropriately. It will likely need a rebuild otherwise it wouldn't be sold.

1FZ out of a 80 series would probably wake up a 60 but if you are going to bother with this scale of work is it enough engine?

Can't go wrong with a small block Chevy or a later LS series small block. I'd consider the LS. If you are going to bother with it at least get a modern, fuel efficient engine.

Also consider a Ford Windsor engine out of a Fox body Mustang. Light, small, cheap and with some work can get in the mid 300s for hp for not a lot of money. It's basically the LS series that Ford had a million years before GM.

Adapters for both the Chevy and Ford stuff exists, at least for the Toy mini-truck transmissions anyway.

You couldn't pay me enough to consider ChryCo V8. The Jeep straight six is a fantastic old tractor motor but not enough of an upgrade for your intended purpose IMO (see 1FZ above). My stock I6 deals with my ~5k lb loaded XJ well enough but it's not worth swapping to.

If you love the truck and have no plans of ever selling it then it is worth the bother. If this is a truck you are likely to sell just go ahead and sell it and move on. For every engine swap thread there seems to be a one or two year later "for sale" thread.

I'm a big fan of OEM and/or "simple" when it comes to cars, trucks. Bt/dt.

[ ignore my sig - workhorse vs toy truck is two different things ]

Last edited:

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
If you are in an area of CA where you have smog regulations. It makes this a little bit tougher to do and you have much less choice in engines to do it legally. In a nutshell, the engine has to be from the same year or newer vehicle that it will be installed in, it has to be from the same vehicle weight class or lighter and it must have all original smog equipment. Once complete you need to have referee visually inspect the install before you can go to the DMV and get it registered.
Of course there are stories about people doing swaps that aren't legal to the books and getting them registered but I for one am not willing to risk the money. If you cut through all the red tape and BS on the internet the GM 6.2/6.5 diesel is a legal viable candidate and I believe shares all adapters with the SBC.

Last edited:

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I see you live in California (at least according to your forum info). You are probably already aware of the strict regulations CA has on engine swaps -

Engine Changes
Engine changes are legal as long as the following requirements are met to ensure that the change does not increase pollution from the vehicle:

• The engine must be the same year or newer than the vehicle.
  • The engine must be from the same type of vehicle (passenger car, light-duty truck, heavy-duty truck, etc.) based on gross vehicle weight.
  • If the vehicle is a California certified vehicle then the engine must also be a California certified engine.
  • All emissions control equipment must remain on the installed engine.
  • Vehicles converted to 100% electric drive, with all power supplied by on-board batteries are considered in compliance with the engine change requirements. All fuel system components must be removed prior to inspection. For additional information contact the ARB helpline at (800) 242-4450

After an engine change, vehicles must first be inspected by a state referee station. The vehicle will be inspected to ensure that all the equipment required is in place, and vehicle will be emissions tested subject to the specifications of the installed engine.

I'm not saying you should necessarily follow the letter of the CA law - but if you don't, make sure it is intentional and you understand the potential implications.

JohnnyS

Explorer
An E-Rod LS1 & 4L60E would be a great, California legal, swap.
You'd be looking at close to 10K just in parts, including the AA adapter, but it would be 325hp 60 series with a brand new motor & trans.

theside00

Adventurer
We have installed a few chevy 5.3 and 4l60E combinations in 60's and the owners absolutely love them. They have been getting about 15-17 MPG and with 300hp there is more then enough power. We have heard stories of trucks going 70mph up and over mountain passes with no problem. With this combo you also get the reliability of a newer engine and the parts availability.

We also have installed a lot of 1hd-t and 1hz diesels into them and they also turn out great. Not as much HP as the 5.3 but there is something cool about having a stock toyota diesel.

rickashay

Explorer
Another thought to consider would be the 4.0L Lexus V8 from the early LS/SC400's (1UZ). I have no clue if it's been done before or how difficult it would be, all I know is that it's a pretty happy, low maintenance engine that is all aluminum (light) and is pretty basic (before the vvti versions). Plus it's a Toyota motor with good parts availability (maintenance items... not aftermarket support).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger