EP East Coast Fall Trip (Location Thread) October 20-23, 2006

CLynn85

Explorer
If it's 13-16 I'll be leaving here Fri at noon, arrive there ~1700hrs, stay fri night, sat, sat night, leave midday sunday.

Went home this weekend to pick up my camping stuff. Getting excited... Still need to replace the O2 sensors and hopefully that'll clear up my cold/idling issues.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
I personally plan to be there around noon on friday the 13th. OOOHHH... just realized that as i was typing it.

Will be departing early monday the 16th.

Were working on finding a suitable backcountry base camp that can also serve as the meeting location. Hopefully everyone will know exactly where the group will be and can simply drive in to meet us.

Camp will monitor CB Channel 4 periodically. Will also PM my cell # to anyone wanting it, dont know if i'll have a signal though.

Ranger station was a dud...they dont fax camp and forest road maps...you must stop in and purchase the bigger ones. She advised me to call Senecca Rocks VC, they might have the maps.

:smiley_drive:

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
John B said:
Hopefully everyone will know exactly where the group will be and can simply drive in to meet us.

I think GPS coordinates will suffice ;) ... unless you're a muggle. :p

:camping:

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
I propose that we make 10/13-16 the official dates ... however, if one isn't able to attend for the entire duration, they may arrive and depart, without consequence, at any time that is convenient to them. We should operate from an encampment that will remain at a fixed location for the duration of the event. (unless an errant lava flow forces us to relocate)

Cowboy

From southeastern PA we'll take the TP west to I81 and head south from there. Pretty straight shot to the Shenandoah Valley.

Looks like from the posts that JohnB, 91XLT and myself will be there 10/13-10/16.

If we can pin point a good base camp I should be able to find it in the WV Gazateer topo maps. Then we can publish them here for anyone that wants to join us.

Chris - you could always swap out those 02 sensors in camp as well. You'll have plenty of help.

ppro

Poking In

Chris Shontz sent me a note about your plans to visit Dolly Sods in October and asked a few questions. He suggested I take a look at this thread too. I scanned the ten pages and saw my name mentioned a couple times with regard to GWNF, and thanks for that.

DSC01470.JPG

I'm going to blast some info here but seriously, it's just a suggestion and answering to some questions Chris has. Please don't take it that I need to see it happen this way or anything like that - just trying to help.

With regard to Dolly Sods, I have a fair number of trips under my belt out there and live a little ways from there. It would be ideal for the weekend most recently mentioned. Here is some info. I have sent GPS coordinates to Chris Shontz so the sweet spots don't get scooped by outsiders (which I guess I more or less am...)

If your group is mainly an outdoors type group that is not looking for extreme wheeling you will be rewarded with a wonderful experience in the Dolly Sods area. That weekend should be incredible for the foliage, which peaks around that time.

There are a couple spots that I have personally camped nearby that would suit your group. The only warning is that both spots are primitive and do not have any services. You would need to bring water and all that. You would however be rewarded with wonderful solitude.

Town is nearby and there are good restaurants (though not cheap...) and stores with plenty of stuff in Davis (gpscoord).

Thomas (gpscoord) is coming back alive and there's a funky store that serves decent food and some "antique" stores that are interesting.

I have provided several waypoints below. You might want to load them into a GPS Map program like MapSource (or use Topozone.com) to get them all collected together so you can see the layout.

blackwater_3D_track2_070806.gif

Three of the camping spots I marked and used are on the Canaan Loop road
(past Blackwater Falls go straight from gpscoord; the loop road exits to pavement again at gpscoord).

Here are the waypoints. Again, both "wide spots" on the side of the road where camping is allowed:

gpscoords

One of these above I have used and one I simply marked as a candidate. You would have to stop at the marked spot and walk off the trail a little bit to see the spot because it was a little set back from the road.

f6b14265.jpg

Another, which involves fording a stream is located near the base of Mozark Mountain here:

gpscoord

The ford can be done by stockers and unless the water is really high, should not cause anyone any problems.

dsc08305.jpg

This one is by far the most scenic but could be a bit crowded for much more than 6 or 7 vehicles/tents. Also, I have only ever seen it empty once in February in the four or five times I have been out there.

Here is another spot that WOULD accommodate your entire group with plenty of room for vehicles and tents off Route 219 at 717 and FR18:

gpscoord

dsc06019.jpg

(Movie)

It's a large clearing on a knoll and has a large field that can be reached on foot for anyone who wants to get away from the group.
This is near Olson Tower (gpscoord) which is a great place to go at sunset to see the whole area.

DSC02080.JPG

DSC02088.JPG

There are dozens of landmarks out there - I like Big Run Scenic Overlook that is on FR18 somewhere near here (it has a sign so you won't miss it):

gpscoords

dsc05973.jpg

dsc07126.jpg

Check my trip reports for pictures and some ideas what it's like.

July 2004
October 2004
February 2005
July 2006

That weekend is the one after I go away with my wife for my anniversary but I might be able to go out there if you're interested in having me along?

Basically I could see something like the following based on times I have been there:

10/13 Set Camp
Check out Olson Tower at dusk
Hit town for items forgotten, dinner

10/14 Day two
Early departure
Wheel FR18 past Big Run Scenic Outlook and a cool wheeling spot I know
Continue through Douglas to Canaan Loop
Run Canaan Loop and break somewhere along it for lunch
Go up to Dolly Sods for dusk at Bear Rocks
Come back to Davis/Thomas/Camp for dinner
hit camp

10/15 Day Three
Early Departure
AM Hike Canyon Rim Trail (option)
Go to Blackwater Falls (option)
PM Go up to Dolly Sods for dusk at Bear Rocks
Come back to Davis/Thomas/camp for dinner
Wheel

10/16 Day Four
strike camp

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Paul, thank you SO much! :bowdown:

I'm sure i speak for everyone when i say come on out, it would be a pleasure to have you along. Some of us here have never met each other....so no need to feel like an outsider.

Again, thank you and i hope to meet you on this adventure. :wavey:

CLynn85

Explorer
Wow, thanks for the tips and pointers paul. I always seem to get lost in reading your site.

Could the GPS coords be PM'd to those on the tentative list so we can map them out?

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
I've compiled a list of a half-dozen potential campsite coordinates based on Paul's information. I've also sent additional inquiries to Paul regarding privacy, vehicular accommodations, and other possible locations. I'm sure we'll have the list narrowed down to a few sites very shortly.

Original Resolution Topo Map (1920x1124)

241276025_d06f1d36d1_b.jpg

I'm personally leaning toward Camp6 if it is an actual campsite (it looks similar to Camp5 from satellite). Camp5 would be my next choice, as it looked really nice in Paul's video. I think these campsites would offer the most space and privacy of those listed.

Thanks, Paul! :)

HongerVenture

Adventurer
ppro said:
Chris Shontz sent me a note about your plans to visit Dolly Sods in October and asked a few questions. He suggested I take a look at this thread too. I scanned the ten pages and saw my name mentioned a couple times with regard to GWNF, and thanks for that.

Paul, welcome! I should have sent you a note before my wife and I made out trip to the Dolly Sods area, it would have made for a much better trip. Thanks so much for sharing your info for this Fall trip.

I'm growing more and more bummed that I can't go as this gains steam. You guys who are making this trip are in for a real treat.

Regards,
Joel

Cowboy

Paul, obliged for all your help! This is ramping up nicely fellas. I'm itchin' to leave now as a matter of fact.

My brother-in law just bought an 06' Wrangler and may join us as well. He's one of us. :1888fbbd:

I'm game for most all of the suggestions y'all have been throwing out. How many rigs & tents are we looking at now? Will these here sites handle our growing group?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle