equipment to keep the wife happy

frumpy

Explorer
I've always roughed it while camping (basic tent/sleep in vehicle, minimal gear etc) but last year I finally talked my wife into going camping with me. We slept in our jeep liberty with a foam mat and didn't have our two small dogs with us. I also had a military trailer all our gear was in.

I no longer have our liberty and got rid of the trailer too, but now I have a truck. So I'm looking for a suggestion on a tent ideally big enough to stand up in and change, a good comfy bed (trying to talk my wife into maybe a week long trip), and anything else that might make tenting more comfy. All of our camping for now would be provincial parks with possibly the idea of going to more back woods stuff in the future.

I'm not sure how much my wife wants to get into this but she has expressed interest, so with that being said I don't want to dump a ton of money into it but I realize this stuff isn't always cheap.

jbaggy

FlyFish Zealot
For a sleeping bag, I bought my queen a Butler Bag. She loves it and NEVER complains that she is cold (a true miracle my friends..:sombrero:). Its big and heavy but oh so comfy. Thats my .02.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
Mr. Buddy heater!

X2 lol
my wife and I did a huge purchase of gear last year. A few things I can say are
1 - Tent - say yes to full coverage rain fly and no to hubb style tents. A goof rain fly will save your butt in a down poor. the tents you showed where not that great IMO. Tents such as the Big agnes flying diamond or Kodiak flex bow are great. Tents like the REI hobitat are supposed to be awesome

2 - we use two extra large slumber jack sleeping bags with the flannel liner such as the cabelas magnum 44. we never get cold.

3 - for longer stays we have a shower setup that works pretty fair. start with the Trekker Fold a privy outhouse/ shower and a solar shower although we are contemplating something a little better such as a Zodi.

4 - don't forget pillows, and your favorite way to escape biting insects.

refried

Adventurer
Good sleeping pads are important, We've been using 4" Maravia Silverback pads or a 3" pad made by Sotar and sleep very well. Some friends just picked up some 3" pads from Alps as a cheap replacement for their Paco Pads and are pretty happy with them (they are no where near the quality of a Paco Pad, but they are 1/4 the price). We open up a basic rectangular bag and put it on top of the sleeping pads, it makes them a little more comfortable and warmer.
The Big Buddy heater is another must have now, along with a WAG Bag toilet system in case the public toilets are just too bad. Another thing that's always in the van now is a 12 volt electric blanket, great for sitting in the van when the heaters not running.
I'm sure there's lots of other stuff she's put in there too (I found a blow dryer the other day), Putting an inverter and microwave in the van helped to add necessary stuff.

Last edited:

sasaholic

Adventurer
"equipment to keep the wife happy"........sounds like a personal problem to me:Wow1: haha

being serious mr buddy heater

dms1

Explorer
Here is what I have for my wife to make her comfortable - she now goes with me on all trips.

Tent she can stand up in - Eureka Timberline 6
0 degree sleeping bag - Cabelas Summitt
Cot - Coleman
Buddy Heater - Winter
12v Fan - Summer
PETT Bathroom
Solar Shower
Long Underwear

mudbutt

Explorer
My wife won't go anywhere with me unless she has a place to pee.....

We spent 4 days in Death Valley with a Luggable Loo and she had a great time.

762X39

Explorer
Well Katherine will pee behind the truck but a comfy bag (Woods made in Canada much like the Butler made in US) and pillows sealed the deal.A nice Eureka tent is good too.:coffee:

rynosurf

Adventurer
I have a REI Base Camp tent that has two large vestibules. We use the small one as an entrance and the larger one with a portable loo as a bathroom. It works great.

frumpy

Explorer
I just found a Colorado truck bed tent (by Chev) for $50 on kijiji with the matress so I am waiting to hear back on that. I like the idea of being off the ground and on a flat surface (plus if we parked appropriately the truck would block a lot of the wind if there is any).

paulj

Expedition Leader
Have you browsed a MEC store (Mountain Equip Coop)? A 4 or 6 person tent from them would be a good starting point, bug and rain proof. A 4 man has enough floor space for a full (double) air mattress, or room to spare for 2 inflatable backpacking pads, but may not have enough room to full standup in. But I'd put quality construction ahead of standing. In prov. parks there's always the shower building to complete the dressing.

MEC may not carry the air mattress, but other shops do. At 5" thick it will have all the comfort of home. I like to inflate mine with a 12v battery pack (emergency charger). Carrying an inflated air mattress from car to tent is a good way to puncture it.

Consider a bug proof rain shelter, so you don't have to huddle inside the sleeping area when the bugs are out or it is raining. I've been eyeing the MEC Mantis Tarp.

frumpy

Explorer
Going to be picking up the truck tent this weekend and hopefully it fits. My only concern is space but the dogs can always sleep in the truck (as long as its not too warm out). Also if the air mattress is no good I'm thinking about trying to make one out of foam that will fit to the shape of the truck bed. Anyone here made one before?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998