Equipt's Alaska Solo Trek June/July 2014

Arktikos

Explorer
Are you going to drive up the icefields parkway as you head north (is it open yet?) It is a beautiful drive. I love the way the rockies along there sweep up from the valley floor.

Is there another way to Prince George? I'm also wondering because he gave 7 hrs travel time for this leg, which seems too fast. The Parkway is really great.

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
I had the option of the east or west side of Glacier as a route. I have been to Waterton park a couple times. Beautiful. But I hadn't been through Kootenah before, or north of Whitefish. So that is the route I chose. Al, I will look around the that book. Maybe in audio format. :O)

cheers,

Equipt

Parc National Bannf / Jasper

Parc National Bannf / Jasper
Mile 2080

Bigger. All I can say is that the mountains in Bannf and Jasper are bigger. I am not so sure they are taller than the ones we idolize in the US. Perhaps it is the elevation as which I am staring up at them from. Whatever the case, they sure are an impressive collection. The upheavel and glacial carving that created this place has made one of the spots on the planet you need to see. I started the day in Bannf with a couple errands. I though Canadian cash might be handy. I headed northwest up the Icefields Parkway, and made my first stop at Lake Louise. I remembered this lade from my journey through here in the 80's, and wanted to see it again. The water color is an incredible shade of blue. I had set aside roughly 7 hours to make it from Bannf to Prince George. It was based solely on mileage estimates, and took me a lot longer to accomplish. Each and every turn in the road made my jaw drop. I had to stop and take it all in. It is sad that I didn't plan more time through here. But it is tough to know when where to set time aside unless you have passed that way before. Next time, I'll know.

_MG_6731.JPG_MG_6745.JPG_MG_6750.JPG

Further up the parkway I made my way back into British Columbia and Parc National Jasper. Incredible. Mother nature at her best. Glacier ice floating in Bow Lake ( I think it's called Bow Lake). I stopped for a bite of lunch just east of the Icefields Parkway summit. Feeling the time crunch, I moved on. But one stop I made was to check out Mount Robson, as Christophe Noel's suggestion. A peak among peaks, reaching 3954 meters high. The surrounding peaks were more than 1200 meters shorter. I almost saw the top, but alas it was clouded in.

_MG_6767.JPG_MG_6773.JPG_MG_6795.JPG

I did make it Prince George, 12 hours later. Oh well.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Robson is considered one of the 50 Classic Climbs of North America and one of the more beautiful mountains in the world. It's a usual suspect on the list of mountains climbed prior to people attempting peaks in the Himalayas. i.e. Ranier, Robson, Waddington (also in BC), Denali....Everest.

Cool you got to see it!

NMBruce

Adventurer
Parc National Kootenah / Bannf
Mile 1980

Heading north from Whitefish MT, I arrived at the US/Canadian border. After what I would consider a vehicular cavity search by the polite border guards, looking for hooch, drugs, and anything that goes “Bang”, I was on my way. First thing I noticed was that I should have paid more attention in French class. Welcome to Canada.
Cheers

that seem like what happen to me, after an hour long search, I got to spend 20 mins getting everything back into the JK & trailer

lbarcher

Adventurer
Hey, Equipt, glad you're enjoying my neck of the woods.
Just curious, are you miss spelling names in an effort to be fun?

Arktikos

Explorer
Paul,
If you want a place to park, I'm in Palmer, AK (right at the base of Hatcher pass)...Hot shower, wifi, fresh cookies, and beer.
Josh

Generous offer, but it doesn't appear he's planning to be in your area on this trip. Check out his itinerary somewhere on page 1.
Bet he went further than Smithers yesterday, though it's a nice destination. Smithers to Whitehorse in one day would be killer.

Last edited:

OverlandX

Generous offer, but it doesn't appear he's planning to be in your area on this trip. Check out his itinerary somewhere on page 1.
Bet he went further than Smithers yesterday, though it's a nice destination. Smithers to Whitehorse in one day would be killer.

that depends, if he comes from Denali in Anc. to get the ferry to Haines, then he will only be 20 min. from me. If he goes back into Canada to get to Haines, then no he won't be near me, but that trip is also double the mileage of what he has posted.

Arktikos

Explorer
6/29 Denali, 6/30 Denali Hwy, 6/31 Haines. Don't see how that takes him anywhere near Anchorage or Palmer. From the east end of Denali hwy he'll either head north to Delta Junction or south to Glenallen. But yeah, his mileage to Haines is incorrect, no matter how you slice it.

Equipt

Hey, Equipt, glad you're enjoying my neck of the woods.
Just curious, are you miss spelling names in an effort to be fun?

Gads no. I double checked a few of the names, and noticed I had Kootenay spelled wrong. Thanks for the heads up. Any others I have screwed up?

Cheers,

Equipt

Paul,

What are you doing for internet access in Canada?

Starbucks in Bannf, McDonalds in Prince George, where ever I can find a signal. My initial plan was to hotspot my iPhone, but that is a bust up here. I think I will have better luck in Alaska with that.

Cheers,

Equipt

that depends, if he comes from Denali in Anc. to get the ferry to Haines, then he will only be 20 min. from me. If he goes back into Canada to get to Haines, then no he won't be near me, but that trip is also double the mileage of what he has posted.

I appreciate the offer, but unfortunately I am not headed that way. Our travels take us inland to Haines Junction and down to Haines that way. Thanks though.

Cheers,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12