Espar Airtronic d2 ( eberspacher) fitment

Steve UK

Adventurer
Hi,

Well after recently joining I am starting to post work I have done to my Landrover defender as I gradually turn it into a compact overland/camper.

The final car won't be a round the world spec just extended UK + Europe holidays, maybe North Africa.

As winter is coming I though I had better fit my diesel heater I bought 6 months ago. These are crazy expensive and are not for everyone but I like to be warm....very warm :)

I took me ages to decide where to fit it inside? outside? I finally decided on modifying my beloved cubby box, I think this was the right choice as its out of the way and kept the installation very neat. The cubby is huge and still has room for stuff.

Fortunately I have 2 auxiliary fuel tanks, 1 of which I have dedicated now to the heater.

I have fitted an external socket which the heater controller can plug into and reach into the tent, and the 2 small distribution pipes can reach into the roof tent for winter camping

The pictures should speak for themselves, hopefully this may help anyone considering this themselves.

Steve

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Hi, As suggested this config. does not work I can confirm. Ok when stationary but once the car engine is running there is too much back pressure.
picture.php

This is the latest addition, side exit exhaust with twin silencers as the heaters can be noisy
attachment.php

Last edited:

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
That's cool.

I have my VHF in the cubby box, so I may build a box into the wheelwell just forward of one of the rear wheels. Lots of room there on the 110, even on the 5 door.

Ray

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
Steve - nice install. Just came across your post while researching Espar heaters. I am looking at installing a hydronic 5B (gasoline fired unit) in my Jeep. I have a question: do you have a problem with the heater exhaust pipe acting as an exhaust vent from the vehicle? I like the idea of porting the Espar exhaust into the vehicle's exhaust system, but am concerned about the tie-in port acting as a path for engine exhaust. This is dependent upon the level of backpressure, to be sure.

Steve UK

Adventurer
Hi Jim,

I did think of that but decided that the combustion system is all totally sealed so no problem there.

The problem I can think about is if any car exhaust does find its way back up it may cause extra carbon build up.

The pipe is angled so it should be minimal, only time will tell though as I am not 100% sure what will happen.

Steve

lowenbrau

Explorer
Hi Jim,

I did think of that but decided that the combustion system is all totally sealed so no problem there.

The problem I can think about is if any car exhaust does find its way back up it may cause extra carbon build up.

The pipe is angled so it should be minimal, only time will tell though as I am not 100% sure what will happen.

Steve

As neat as it is, the first thought I had was that your rig is going to fill up with exhaust as soon as that tailpipe goes under water. There is no way that the unit is 'sealed' It forces combustion air in one side and exhaust out the other. Maybe you are getting your fresh air intake from outside the rig? It might not be so bad then.

You are wasting good exhaust heat, though. Every Webasto I have installed had the exhaust pointed at the oil pan. If it is cold enough for a furnace you might as well be heating the engine oil.

Steve UK

Adventurer
As neat as it is, the first thought I had was that your rig is going to fill up with exhaust as soon as that tailpipe goes under water. There is no way that the unit is 'sealed' It forces combustion air in one side and exhaust out the other. Maybe you are getting your fresh air intake from outside the rig? It might not be so bad then.

You are wasting good exhaust heat, though. Every Webasto I have installed had the exhaust pointed at the oil pan. If it is cold enough for a furnace you might as well be heating the engine oil.

Oh yea, the heater air intake is outside too. But good point about submerging the exhaust. Maybe it wasn't such a smart idea.

I really like the idea of pointing the exhaust at the sump. I feel and exhaust mod mark III coming.

Steve

Last edited:

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
Ah! I have not seen any installs of coolant heaters, and the discharge of the exhaust directed at the oil pan is an excellent suggestion! I have a close fitting oil pan skid plate that would dissipate the heat nicely all around the pan. Thanks lowenbrau!

Steve UK

Adventurer
Hi,

For everyone who was concerned about the heater utilising the car exhaust I can confirm that it does NOT work.

I got around to running the car engine with the heater. With the car running the heater will not start. With the heater running then start the car the heater cuts out.

I have now blanked off the stubb and returned to normal, going to see if I can use the exhaust to heat the engine but it is about 1.5m forward so routing may be awkward.

Many thanks for all your constructive critisism and kind comments on the install. All gratefull recieved.

You live and learn :)

Steve

Last edited:

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
Thanks for the follow-up/confirmation Steve. I had already abandoned that idea for my install, but now we know for sure. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears