Espar Hydronic heater stopped working

skibum148

I have an Espar B5 hydronic heater, it has ~420 hours on it and has been working great so far.
on our trip this past weekend, we went to start it, and it failed to start. had half a tank of fuel. I went into town, and made sure the tank was topped off, the intake and exhaust were clear, and it still would not start.
fuses and electrical connections/ wires all look to be in good shape.
this morning I pulled the error codes, and had several in memory,

P001707 - ???
P000125 - Flame cutout from start process
P000126 - Flame cutout within the control range 0% – 25%
P000224 - Electric motor – current input too high
P000223 -Electric motor – blocking Electric motor
P000315 - Implausible air pressure information
P000307 - CAN communication error control unit

and a controller error of P000e01 - Runtime limit exceeded

After doing some searching on the errors, I cleared them, did a factory reset, which was also recommended, and tried to start the heater again, the only code I'm getting now is the P000223

Electric motor – blocking Electric motor – current input too high Impeller blocked (frozen, soiled, sluggish, ...). Remove blockage. – Check electric motor for smooth and easy running by turning the impeller manually

Has anyone had this issue before or know of the next troubleshooting steps? can you check the impeller without fully disassembling the system?
when I turn the heat on, it starts the coolant pump, runs that for a little, and just trips the service error. it does not seem to try and ignite.

we are right in the middle of ski season and tend to go north every weekend, so getting this resolved ASAP is important to us.
thanks,

turbodiesel

Probably not the advice you want to hear, but the quickest way to figure this out is to open up the heater. You might be able to just remove the input hose side of the Espar and pop the cover to see if you see anything and can manually turn the fan.

Just remove the cap and pop the two tabs on the end. It'll lever out and you can check it without removing the heater completely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12