Espresso Machine in Trailer!?

vegan_jeeper

www.offroadvegan.com
Hello everyone!!!

Building a new expo trailer (M416 footprint).

Looking to install an espresso machine. Right now it looks like my options are a massive inverter, or a 12V option.

12V option is REALLY hard to find. I found only one model and its in Australia. And, it's $500.

I could do something like this, but would prefer to have a machine I can install.

Average machine electrical requirements seem to be along the lines of:

• 950 Watts
  • 120V
  • 10 Amps

Keep in mind I would only use this for probably 10-15 minutes of actual use. So it is not a long drain.

If I was to run this on a 2nd battery (in the tongue box) would an inverter work??

Any help is appreciated!!!

Scott

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Nice!

While I think that is awesome, and I look forward to sharing a camp with you once it is done... I also think we have just found a definitive answer to the "When is Enough Enough?" thread.

So, my questions are:

Isn't an espresso machine just using all that power to make steam? Are there any models on the market that could use a fuel source like a camp stove to do that?

I would also wonder how well something designed and built to sit on a counter in a coffee shop will hold up to the bouncing, rattles, and weather exposure of an off-road trailer?

vegan_jeeper

www.offroadvegan.com
While I think that is awesome, and I look forward to sharing a camp with you once it is done... I also think we have just found a definitive answer to the "When is Enough Enough?" thread.

So, my questions are:

Isn't an espresso machine just using all that power to make steam? Are there any models on the market that could use a fuel source like a camp stove to do that?

I would also wonder how well something designed and built to sit on a counter in a coffee shop will hold up to the bouncing, rattles, and weather exposure of an off-road trailer?

Thanks. And I know its stupid. But literally my favorite thing in camp is a good coffee. And I make my own espresso at home. So I'd love to find a way to buy a machine that will work.

I think your last point is valid, but these machines are pretty robust. I'd look at something like the Saeco Via Venezia.

And, I am not using the machine for steam. Just to pull shots. I'd heat hot water (for Americanos) on the stove. So no steam needed.

Scott

tenoverthenose

As you're just looking for espresso (not a milk frother), I'd check out a Handpresso. While I've never used one personally, I've heard good things.

For me, I love my espresso machine at home and I use an Aeropress or a french press on the road (and a Montbell dripper when backpacking). There's no way I'd take a true espresso machine on the road - they're simply too fragile for that kind of use.

Lucky j

Explorer
:Wow1:

Holy cow!!! a $400 machine and inverter may be cheaper!!! Thanks

Where did you see a 400$ machine on this site, the cheapest I found was 1300 ish euro. So more like 1600us.

Question now, can you crush your beer can with those after coffee is done? Seriously, the set up is very nice, but the prise is just not right. I am sure they are hand made, but the markup on those is just crazy for sure. Wow

Lucky j

Explorer
This is what I use in camping. Only draw back, you have to watch it cause it need to flow a bit before knowing when to let the pressure go up and need more water than the quantity of coffe you will drink. Also, need water to rinse after.

But veru good coffee. And if someone want a latte, you are all set. But I will not carry that in a pack pack, but I do not think that I would carry a seaco either. ;)

ericvs

Have you checked out the ROK? We have been using it since our MyPressi bit the dust. After getting it dialed in (grind adjustment and tamping pressure), it is pulling some seriously awesome shots. The best part is that it doesn't need any power, it is all hand actuated.

http://www.rokkitchentools.com/

We ended up getting a nice stainless tamper for it and we adjusted the grind one coarser from our regular expresso grind and it works amazing.

lugueto

Adventurer
I use a traditional stove top espresso maker while camping. Can't you use one of those?

I'm no coffee snob, but I do enjoy a good cup of coffee. I know that kind of people worry about the pressure and what not, but if you find yourself a good coffee bean, a good grinder and work the perfect combination, those simple little machines actually make very good coffee! Plus they're bomb-proof, easy to clean, have no moving parts, etc. etc.

DanCooper

Adventurer
While traveling by motorcycle, I use this:

71qnHA74n+L._SL1500_.jpg

It makes decent shots on the stove top. Really. Italians use it in their homes. In fact, I used it while building my "Expedition Trailer" last summer.

I have just acquired an AeroPress to take with me while using the trailer since I have more room in it. I find the results (using it at home) to be quite good. The advantage of the AeroPress is that it is so much easier to clean than the Bialetti. In fact, the only coffee making device easier to clean is the plain old pour-over filter made famous in verse and song by Melitta.

Having said all that, if you want an electric powered espresso maker in your trailer, you can do it easily with an inverter. All it takes is the application of cold cash. On the other hand, you can make really good espresso and coffee without the need for the $1,000 solution if you try out a few other options. The price entry points are below $30US for each of the options I mention above, and if all you are doing is making an Americano with the shots you "pull" I doubt that you will tell the difference.

If you do go the 120v route, please post pictures.

RatherbeFishing

I like a good cup of expresso or cuban coffee, but this can be had without using electricity. A nice stove top expresso pot will warrant the same results.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I run my Nespresso through my inverter all the time. I love it. The inverter is a 2000W/4000W pure sine and runs it no problemo.

The best part is, it takes up very little room and I can stop, make espresso, back in the truck moving again in 3 minutes.

I've even set it up within reach of the drivers seat for long pavement hauls. Don't listen to the haters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman