EugeneTheTJ's 2000 XJ Build Thread

EugeneTheTJ

Tar Heel
Picked up a full set of WJ seats tonight. They're in superb shape and will be a nice upgrade to the interior. Much more comfortable too.

XJSuperman

OhIOWAn
Yeah, I think they look better on an XJ than they do on the JK lol. Been halfheartedly looking for a set. People want waaay too much money for them though. If you buy a new Rubicon, and take off the wheels and other trim, then build the rest of it, was it really worth the Rubicon package? Esp if all your asking prices on those takeoff parts are still high.

EugeneTheTJ

Tar Heel
Yeah, I think they look better on an XJ than they do on the JK lol. Been halfheartedly looking for a set. People want waaay too much money for them though. If you buy a new Rubicon, and take off the wheels and other trim, then build the rest of it, was it really worth the Rubicon package? Esp if all your asking prices on those takeoff parts are still high.

I got them for a fair price. I disagree on buying the rubi and then selling wheels and trim but what gets me is the people who buy them and proceed to rip out the axles for one tons. If all you wanted off the Rubi was the 4:1 case you could've had an Atlas for just a few grand!

XJSuperman

OhIOWAn
Exactly. The "average consumer" who wants the best offroad jeep they can get out of the box goes and buys a Rubicon, but then they want to "mod' it and make it look like a customized Jeep, so they go buy tires and wheels, then rip off the Rubi wheels and trim, and say "Ta-Da" done.

The other type buys a Rubi off the bat, and wheels it hard, actually uses the axles and tcase, but knows they will grow out of the stock Rubi to begin with, and eventually rip the stock stuff out for tons like you said.

Must be a JK thing? Lol, just an XJ owner's POV.

May I ask what "fair price" was for you? Maybe theyre cheaper in NC than OH.

Last edited:

mtlove91

I'm really liking your jeep. I've been lurking for awhile now.

I also ordered the detours knucklebone. I'll be mounting it on the left side of the hitch and dropping it to the left.

I've seen people ask as much as 1,200 for rubicon take offs in my area. Will you have to get an adapter to mount the 5x5 wheel on the knucklebone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EugeneTheTJ

Tar Heel
I'm really liking your jeep. I've been lurking for awhile now.

I also ordered the detours knucklebone. I'll be mounting it on the left side of the hitch and dropping it to the left.

I've seen people ask as much as 1,200 for rubicon take offs in my area. Will you have to get an adapter to mount the 5x5 wheel on the knucklebone?

Thanks man. If you have the factory mopar hitch though just remember you'll have to cut off the wiring box on the left side.

Dang I wouldn't pay anywhere near that!

No - Mark being the wizard that he is cut slots into the upper lug mounting surface so that the carrier can accommodate different bolt patterns. It will literally just be moving the studs up a bit to mount the jk spare.

mtlove91

Thanks man. If you have the factory mopar hitch though just remember you'll have to cut off the wiring box on the left side.

Dang I wouldn't pay anywhere near that!

No - Mark being the wizard that he is cut slots into the upper lug mounting surface so that the carrier can accommodate different bolt patterns. It will literally just be moving the studs up a bit to mount the jk spare.

Yeah I do. That was the plan. I just put my order in on Friday, but I can't decide if I want to mount it to the left and drop left, or mount it to the right and drop right.

Southern California. Everything is overpriced. If I can find a set for $700 I'll pick them up.

EugeneTheTJ

Tar Heel
Yeah I do. That was the plan. I just put my order in on Friday, but I can't decide if I want to mount it to the left and drop left, or mount it to the right and drop right.

Southern California. Everything is overpriced. If I can find a set for $700 I'll pick them up.

I would've really preferred it on the left but I am planning on running the Gobi hatch ladder (which only works on the left) and I didn't want to chop the wiring box off of the hitch. Honestly though there isn't a visibility issue like I thought there would be.

Yea I paid just a little more than that. I thought it was fair though given the age and condition of the tires and wheels plus it came w/ a whole set of OEM locking lug nuts. Lots of life left in these tires!

EugeneTheTJ

Tar Heel
I'll just leave this here
Snow%201.22_zpsvcwr70dq.jpg

EugeneTheTJ

Tar Heel
Braved the snow and cold and got the front seats swapped today. Going to work on the rears when I have more time to mess with it since they're a lot more work.
PhotoGrid_1453586956532_zpsrrnl1grc.jpg

20160123_164230_zps3wiimvh6.jpg

UltraHDGames

Adventurer
Really love this xj, nothing was over done and it looks awesome. If I were to sell my Mazda it'd 9/10 be an xj that would replace it

XJSuperman

OhIOWAn
Wow, looks great. Have you had any thoughts about using another set of towers that would lower the roofrack closer to the roof?

I had a basket on a set of thule towers and I ended up building my own in order to set the basket nearly on the roof. Nice and low.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior