Eureka Drawtite expo tent

xjman88

Adventurer
I picked up a 1960s era Eureka Drawtite 3 man tent. Its in awesome shape, has all the poles, and is pretty solid from the looks of it. From what little info I could find it these tents were used on the Everest expedition by Sir Edmund Hillary. Should hold up to strong winds, rain and snow. I will be using it this weekend fora backcountry trip. Its quite roomy and hope to get alot of use out of it. Stay tuned for a followup report. Heres a few pics.0519190501.jpg0519190510.jpg0519190520.jpg

xjman88

Adventurer
Used the tent this weekend and it held up to heavy rain and strong winds. No leaks after 4 days. Pretty impressive for a 50yr old tent. I did put a tarp over it just in case.

JackW

Explorer
GREAT classic tent - heavy and bulky but a real classic. I used to have an eight man version of the Drawtite - you could park a small car in it.
My sister borrowed it and lived in it for a summer down by a river outside of Athens, Georgia until it got washed away in a flood. I'm still pissed about it.

Be sure to stake it down every time you use it - it has a perfect aerodynamic shape and will do its best impression of Dorothy's house in the slightest breeze - even with sleeping bags inside.
My tent launched itself about fifty feet into the air at Sebring in 1976 - one of the racers looked up just in time to see us snag it out of the air and drag it to the ground as it was bearing down on his race car.
I imagine he had the same look on his face as the wicked witch would have had as he saw a garage size tent about to land on his Corvette.

aruss

Very cool! Love the pole design. Can't imagine lugging that thing up Everest, I have an 80s Eureka canvas cabin tent with a rubberized floor and it weighs a ton.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12