Euro 6 complient

part time nomad

Adventurer
Has anyone looked into making their truck euro 6 complient?

It`s not a problem at the moment, and I dont realy want to be in towns, but I think there will be more areas coming euro 6 in the future and possibly a problem passing through them if they have no bypass or ring road.

It would be handy to future proof my Vario for a while.

Sitec

Adventurer
In Australia we do the opposite as it's nothing but problems! ;) I chose an old truck as I don't want the complexity associated with Ad Blue, DPF's and the EGR. We have a V6 Amarok which we use for short trips out bush. With 2500kms on it I brought it half way back across Australia on the back of a 1976 Hino as VW Assist couldn't get it and it's 5 passengers home... A quick ECU remap and it's never faulted again. It can't! If we ever get to Europe and the like with our old Merc V6 truck, we'd park on the outskirts and catch transport in. :)

part time nomad

Adventurer
I totally agree, I also have an old LR defender, no electronics, that I have spent time in Africa with, always repairable!
But this emissions/ euro 6 is all round europe now!

I am contemplating a small trail bike, or even electric cycle.

Geo.Lander

that sounds like a massive and expensive undertaking, I would think a complete motor swap would be more economical (and reliable)..

tanuki.himself

As someone who bought one a couple of years ago, i suspect euro6 will only be a temporary thing before they force us down the emission free route. I'd consider an electric drive train, scalable batteries that you can add more as they become cheaper and you need to use them more often, and plug in charging, solar charging and build in a clean fuel generator (propane, hydrogen when it comes) that can act as a range extender. Could be a fun project.....

part time nomad

Adventurer
I aggree with Geo Lander that a motor swap could be the way, but not sure about the reliability bit! we always try to stay away from all the electronics!!!

But in theary, it makes our current motors worthless in the future, unless we you can do a body swap!

As for Electric, not yet!

Geo.Lander

As someone who bought one a couple of years ago, i suspect euro6 will only be a temporary thing before they force us down the emission free route. I'd consider an electric drive train, scalable batteries that you can add more as they become cheaper and you need to use them more often, and plug in charging, solar charging and build in a clean fuel generator (propane, hydrogen when it comes) that can act as a range extender. Could be a fun project.....

This isn't actually the near term legislation for heavy vehicles as the technology and battery tech is not viable at the moment. In Norway and the EU the plan for heavy vehicles, aviation, marine, etc is the 2nd and 3rd generation of so called advanced biofuels (not palm oil/food crop based, like HVO100 in Norway). They claim up to a 90% reduction in environmental impact and better running engines. The biomass mainly comes from forestry and food waste (stuff that would have released the same amount of CO2 in a natural decomposition anyway).

I am looking at running our truck on this 90% of the time, hopefully!

Geo.Lander

I aggree with Geo Lander that a motor swap could be the way, but not sure about the reliability bit! we always try to stay away from all the electronics!!!

But in theary, it makes our current motors worthless in the future, unless we you can do a body swap!

As for Electric, not yet!

Agree about reliability, but I was more suggesting the current block with E6 mods would be less reliable than a new E6 complete block forklifted in.

part time nomad

Adventurer
I don`t know if it`s available for euro 4 to 6 but there used to be an exhaust conversion for trucks that was fairly reliable and also independent of the main engine controls.

Bet it will cost a fortune though!

Whats your truck?

tanuki.himself

This isn't actually the near term legislation for heavy vehicles as the technology and battery tech is not viable at the moment. In Norway and the EU the plan for heavy vehicles, aviation, marine, etc is the 2nd and 3rd generation of so called advanced biofuels (not palm oil/food crop based, like HVO100 in Norway). They claim up to a 90% reduction in environmental impact and better running engines. The biomass mainly comes from forestry and food waste (stuff that would have released the same amount of CO2 in a natural decomposition anyway).

I am looking at running our truck on this 90% of the time, hopefully!
i truly believe that sustainable biofuels will be a serious player in future - personally i think there is a great future in atmospheric carbon capture/in vitro algae farming for fuel production.

I'm not a heavy vehicle so suspect the UK - famous for doing the dumbest things that no-one else thought possible or sensible - will force me and my ranger to go fully electric eventually if i keep it registered there. I know the logic of battery and commercial vehicles doesnt work commercially - an electric dustcart would be so heavy with batteries there is no space for rubbish - but for RVs where you want electric power for other things (air con, lighting, fans, water pump, induction cooking) and other fuels (propane grill, cooking, water heating, space heating) i think there is potential to combine propulsion and living power systems in more interesting ways

Geo.Lander

i truly believe that sustainable biofuels will be a serious player in future - personally i think there is a great future in atmospheric carbon capture/in vitro algae farming for fuel production.

I'm not a heavy vehicle so suspect the UK - famous for doing the dumbest things that no-one else thought possible or sensible - will force me and my ranger to go fully electric eventually if i keep it registered there. I know the logic of battery and commercial vehicles doesnt work commercially - an electric dustcart would be so heavy with batteries there is no space for rubbish - but for RVs where you want electric power for other things (air con, lighting, fans, water pump, induction cooking) and other fuels (propane grill, cooking, water heating, space heating) i think there is potential to combine propulsion and living power systems in more interesting ways

That made me laugh ? I think in 10-15 years this tech will be viable (both economically and battery energy density). Near and middle term more advanced liquid fuels are a great stepping stone IMO. Tesla have also just announced they put their semi-trucks on hold for a while with some sources saying they are waiting for higher density battery tech..

Sitec

Adventurer
Fendt are testing an electric tractor. I think they are running into the same issues as Tesla with their trucks. Battery capacity is just not there for something that works hard. It's all well and good on a lightweight small car with narrow pizza cutter wheels, but not so great on a 44 tonne truck or a tractor that has to deliver it's stated hp most of the time...

I think for the time being, most of us will be better off with old school trucks as most of the places we want to go are still fairly basic! For us, Africa, Australia, New Zealand, America, South America, Canada, Alaska, Russia and the like are all still better suited to mechanically injected diesels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998