Eurosonic's Montero 2.5Gen Build Thread

Clem

Adventurer
Not much rock crawlin around there, although some trails that go deep in the mountains tend to get a bit complex. Getting stuck there can be scary as it is far away from any signs of civilization.

Sounds like an "ADVENTURE" :elkgrin:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Not much rock crawlin around there, although some trails that go deep in the mountains tend to get a bit complex. Getting stuck there can be scary as it is far away from any signs of civilization.
Ok. Just looking for some new trails for upcoming trips. Would have been better had there been rocks cause some of the other local mitsu crowd also like the rocks while others like sierra trail riding.

Silverwulf

Adventurer
:elkgrin:Got a hole saw for sale, cheap:elkgrin:

Pm me and get the 411 on connecting ot to the air box.:snorkel:

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
what kind of sealer did you guys use?

Im also thinking of sealing up all of the holes around the air-box, possibly deleting the sound silencers on the sides of the box as well.

Heres a pic after a days worth of diving, had to dry up. Looks like most of the water wasn't coming from the fender intake hole but rather through the small holes and and loose rivets on the bottom of the airbox.

IMG_0853.jpg

Monterorider

Adventurer
I don't think so. Not big enough. I had to come from intake canister in the fender. Looks like you came "this" close to drowning it. Get your snorkel

Silverwulf

Adventurer
I sealed all the holes with black silicone. I also put a glob in the holes where the mounting bolts pass through. Silicone was alco used to seal the joints of the snorkel mid tube at each end and so the connection to the airbox.

There is a link to the snorkel install in the first page of my build thread. I have since made a change to the way the MAF adaptor I used is attached to the airbox. Basically the epoxy I used gets soft at @200F, so it separated. I re-attached it using good 'ol JB weld. (make sure you apply it to the inside and outside so it formes a solid bridge with no seams. After I did that I have had no issues :)

Monterorider

Adventurer
If you seal all the holes particularly drain hole which is there for a reason. I wonder if driving in heavy rain you might scoop up enough water to cause problems. Once water/rain makes to the box if it has no way to go it will go only one way into engine. At very least air filter will get messed up. If you get truck deep enough for water to enter into airbox through those holes realistically engine wont last very long before electricals give out. This ain't no diesel. Thus you'll either get out of water before any serious amount enters or would have lot more problems beyond that (stalled engine in chest deep water). If you want to get serious about sealing you can install drain nipple like most industrial grade snorkel setups do. Again I'm not so much against sealing those hole rather IMHO it's not really necessary. I've not sealed holes in mine.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
I think I might leave the small drain hole open on the bottom, and seal up every other possible place of water leakage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior