Eurosonic's Montero 2.5Gen Build Thread

BOPOH

Explorer
a29f6434a1fb8f73102a7d7821f1f0f7.jpg

Can you show more of this tool? Very interesting

nckwltn

Explorer
thats cheating when you take the head off... makes it too easy!

I see you commented on my youtube video where I use the rope and hand crank the engine to keep the valves from falling in. Funny thing is two weeks before I made that video, I had the heads off to replace the had gasket.... didn't know at the time that I needed to do valve seals as well.... so I was forced to do it the hard way.

Jay Ayala

Explorer
thats cheating when you take the head off... makes it too easy!

I see you commented on my youtube video where I use the rope and hand crank the engine to keep the valves from falling in. Funny thing is two weeks before I made that video, I had the heads off to replace the had gasket.... didn't know at the time that I needed to do valve seals as well.... so I was forced to do it the hard way.

HAHAHA. The exact same thing happened to me right after my overhaul on that Raider. So frustrating. But I have to admit, that little detour made for some interesting new tech forum threads. You've seen them before right Nick?

Jay Ayala

Explorer
This is the tool that I used for replacing those valve seals both with the heads installed using the rope trick and with the heads removed on my work bench.

6.jpeg

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
This is the tool that I used for replacing those valve seals both with the heads installed using the rope trick and with the heads removed on my work bench.

6.jpeg

I was going to get one, but decided to make a tool myself from some aluminum scrap. I actually think it works better because Im using a clamp.

jlocster

Explorer
Good luck on the engine refresh, man. It's gonna be purring when you're done. Btw, how many miles did you have when you pulled the motor?

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Good luck on the engine refresh, man. It's gonna be purring when you're done. Btw, how many miles did you have when you pulled the motor?

160K.

I didnt have to pull it. Im picky when it comes to my personal cars. If I do it, mind as well do it right. Plus this was a good way to get to know my motor inside and out. Good experience to have when working on the trail.

Last edited:

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
some uptdates on the engine refresh.

Clean cam vs dirty

this is the tool I made to compress the valves and install the retainers.

heads cleaned up real good

Got new exhaust manifolds. Thanks to carlos CAP510

Seal kit. Everything is replaced with new.

New valves stem seals

Cleaned intake plenum. This thing was filthy.

Almost done

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Having the motor out and doing much thinking I decided to take things further with this build.

SAS and Doublers!

I pretty much maxed out the use out of my IFS. Having Rubicon Trail, Fordyce, Slickrock within an hour drive from me, it would be nice to have a rig more capable to flex and crawl. Also Im fed up with the fact that we almost have no options for good low gearing.

For the axles Ill be using a Dana 44 from a early 80s Jeep Wagoneer. WMS to WMS is 60.5 inches. Ill be keeping Montero rear axle (at least for now) which is around 59'. As far as the cases. Ill be using Duffy Box4Rocks kit. Chopped NP231 out of a XJ Jeep in the front. Still deciding on what to use in the back. It will be either a NP241 or a flipped Dana 300.

If I use the NP231 and Dana 300 my low gear will be something like this.
2.72:1 or 2.62:1 Low

7.12 LOW LOW:Wow1:

Much better than the lousy 1.9:1 that I have now.

Anyways, along with the build.

I removed the transmission along with the case using my floor jack.

Bolted all together it measures 45' inches! Stock Montero Transfer case is monstrous. Im thinking the doubler setup will be close to that length, maybe even shorter.

Full size Monteros use a Aisin 30-43LE (a.k.a. A340F and AW4) automatic transmissions, similar units are found in Cherokees. To mount a six bolt case to Monteros transmission Ill be using a tail shaft housing from 1998+ Cherokee 4.0L automatic . After some time I finally sourced a 1999 Xj at a local PicknPull.

Luckily when I got there someone already partially took it apart so I pulled the tail housing in no time.

Hmm, looks familiar

To make this work I also need the Jeeps pulse gear for vehicle speed sensor. I grabbed that along with the sensor.

Also while I was at the yard, I got a non sunroof headliner from an LS. Ill be welding my up shut. I really see no point in keeping it. Truck has a cargo rack, motor pretty much doesn't work, it leaks when it rains and it weights a ton. Should be nice removing all that weight from the top.

Total spent: $20 for headliner, $33 for tail-hosing.

Last edited:

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Jeep tail housing on the left and and Montero on the right. As you can see the mounts are identical.

This is the transfer case side. Quite a difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998