Eurosonic's Montero 2.5Gen Build Thread

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
I stumbled on this thread while cruising Google and just got done reading about 1/3 of it. This thread is amazing and it has convinced me to buy a Montero! I was looking for a Grand Cherokee and was planning on adding a rear locker and custom spare tire swing bumper but with the Montero those things come standard. Love what eurosonic has done to his and I plan on replicating aspects. I'm going to start my own thread now but just wanted to post here as well because this is an amazing thread - not just for Monteros but for any vehicle it is rare to find one this detailed, with photos, and being active for so many years

thanks for the kind words, Montero is a great platform.

After standing on jackstands for a year and accumulating parts, it finally moved. It will be going through some major changes in the upcoming year.

Swift_45a

Observer
Looking good, Euro; looking forward to the progress, I have been debating going 35s or 33s on my 96 SR but every time I see your rig I cannot help but think its the only obvious choice.

Can you get away with 35s on just the T bar rank + Sequoia spacer lift? I already have a car that rubs like crazy and I like driving my rig because its the only car I own that I have ever left stock, which means I can just drive it without having to drop $100 on something new every other week. I saw a donor rig in the junkers earlier last year with the stock brush guard to hang my front plate as I have been meaning to chop my chrome bumpers.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Looking good, Euro; looking forward to the progress, I have been debating going 35s or 33s on my 96 SR but every time I see your rig I cannot help but think its the only obvious choice.

Can you get away with 35s on just the T bar rank + Sequoia spacer lift? I already have a car that rubs like crazy and I like driving my rig because its the only car I own that I have ever left stock, which means I can just drive it without having to drop $100 on something new every other week. I saw a donor rig in the junkers earlier last year with the stock brush guard to hang my front plate as I have been meaning to chop my chrome bumpers.

Regear and get the 35s. Youll be fine with a torsion bar crank and sequoia spacers. Might need to massage the fenders a little.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
To go forward, I must reverse.

Demodding the car from previous work. Because of the body lift, I had the rear frame tucked underneath for better departure angle. Im removing the body lift therefore, have to chop the frame and mount it back to its original place. Also removed the front mounts for the ARB bumper.

Stepping up in tire size. Picked up a nice set of 37" BFG Krawlers Kx

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Time to dig in.

Removed all the factory front end suspension.

Used my Hypertherm 45 to do majority of the cutting.

Made a connecting mount to keep the front frame ends together because the factory one is built into the IFS suspension mounts.

This is a temporary solution. Eventually Ill build something more beefier to accommodate a bumper and winch.

Bye IFS, we've had some good times together.

All cleaned up. Ill be reinforcing the frame rail with 3/16 plate.

Hoping the stance to sit around here. I really want to keep the rig as low as possible.

another angle

mcskibadee1

Adventurer
Always love setting this thread bumped, so much cool stuff.

I have to admit that as I read and watch everything you do to this I hope you "finish this project and decide to move on to something else". Then I can see it in the for sale section and make it mine. :smiley_drive:

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
No longer need to be so tall. I will have enough clearance with the suspension lift. Plus it will lower center of gravity.

Not necessarily, figure a 2" body lift is only lifting the body now drop that and add 2" of suspension lift, you have then lifted all of your heavy parts like frame, engine, transmission, gas tank as well as the body. I've stuffed some rather large tires under my Montero with the fixed geometry of IFS, I think if you drop the body down to stock and limit your up travel you can keep the Montero super low with minimal clearance issues since these Gen 2.5s have such large fender openings. I think you've got a solid plan and won't need the body lift or much suspension lift.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Not necessarily, figure a 2" body lift is only lifting the body now drop that and add 2" of suspension lift, you have then lifted all of your heavy parts like frame, engine, transmission, gas tank as well as the body. I've stuffed some rather large tires under my Montero with the fixed geometry of IFS, I think if you drop the body down to stock and limit your up travel you can keep the Montero super low with minimal clearance issues since these Gen 2.5s have such large fender openings. I think you've got a solid plan and won't need the body lift or much suspension lift.

I look at it this way. Rather then raising the frame, im lowering the body back to its position. Hight of engine/transmission doesn't change based on the body lift. As far as suspension lift, it will raise regardless if it has body lift or not.

Last edited:

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I look at is this way. Rather then raising the frame, im lowering the body back to its position. Hight of engine/transmission doesn't change based on the body lift. As far as suspension lift, it will raise regardless if it has body lift or not.

Correct, that's why I said you've got a solid plan. I mostly added that bit for your readers.

I know you mentioned this before but are you planning on running coilovers in the rear too? I'm putting together my new rear suspension parts and i'm thinking I can re utilize the stock double tube crossmember for the coils for coilovers. Seems like there would be a good amount of room, I don't have mine apart yet but do you think I could fit 12" coilovers with 1-2" of lift?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior