EV acceptance is peaking

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I do think the auto makers transitioned to full EV abandoning plugin hybrids too soon. For people who need a vehicle thats used for occasional longer trips not just local shuttle use the hybrids are excellent. As for reliability? Most are built around the Toyota hybrid system which is proven to be exceptionally durable and out lasts the ICE equipment. Its no secret why Taxi services use them. Our local Taxi still runs a Ford escape old generation I just rode in it last week its 12yrs old and has 560,000 miles on it. They replace the ice every 350,000 ish and said the battery was swapped out at 400,000. Average mileage has been a solid 25 mpg. They have a Prius pushing 700,000 same deal new crate ICE at 350,000 the battery was replaced at 400k. Their newest addition is a hybrid Sienna gets crazy mileage 40-44mpg.

My own hybrid 2016 Fusion Energi has been a absolutely fantastic car. The plan is to pass it to my HS kid and probably pick up a Lincoln Corsair plugin hybrid AWD for the wife. Sadly most of the auto makers are quitting the plugin hybrid. We drive ours around locally on EV about 40% of the miles used. Charge it at home off the 110. Solar power on the house which cut our power cost by about $3600 average a yr since 2015. Easily $25,000 savings just on the low average. Not counting gas savings in the car, lower maintenance cost on the car fewer oil changes, far less brake pad wear at 90,000 and still have 30% on the pads. Oil changes I can wait till 7500+ miles given 40ish % of them are EV only. Add in the tax credit on the car purchase we paid $27k for a premium vehicle. Just by the numbers our plug-in hybrid has been the cheapest per mile car I’ve ever had. Nice ride too.

ThundahBeagle

Its an issue everywhere charging capacity is extremely limited. No different than ice cars stranded when gas pumps run dry or become scarce. Many regions in the US lack charging stations in a bad way. Especially the region that made front page US news.

The last time I recall gas pumps going dry in the U.S. was during the Carter Administration, back when the Eagles were topping the charts and your pant leg was as wide as your waist.

Not saying it couldn't happen again, I'm just saying it was a dambed near national emergency. Today, for EV's, it's just par dor the course, that and over-paying for a vehicle that chews through tires and requires a good night's sleep to charge.

I do look forward to the day, but I also think hybrid is a better idea

For those who think Toyota is "just saying that" because they are the hybrid king...sure. I can see the skepticism. But everything transitions in the form of battleship curves, and when change is forced hard and fast, it's almost never good and things take a while to stabilize

ThundahBeagle

Yep totally dead battery doesn’t need to be an EV could be your Dewalt battery drill too. Special charger for EV is a bit of a stretch but they likely needed Ford shop computer that ties to a charger to carefully bring the batteries back to life without damaging them. No different than hacking a charger solution to revive your dead Dewalt.

Mine's a Ryobi and I have a number of batteries for it because I have a few of thier products.

Dead batter in something like that just gets swapped out for a warm charged one. Cant really equate that with current (see what I did there) EV batteries

ThundahBeagle

I do think the auto makers transitioned to full EV abandoning plugin hybrids too soon. For people who need a vehicle thats used for occasional longer trips not just local shuttle use the hybrids are excellent. As for reliability? Most are built around the Toyota hybrid system which is proven to be exceptionally durable and out lasts the ICE equipment. Its no secret why Taxi services use them. Our local Taxi still runs a Ford escape old generation I just rode in it last week its 12yrs old and has 560,000 miles on it. They replace the ice every 350,000 ish and said the battery was swapped out at 400,000. Average mileage has been a solid 25 mpg. They have a Prius pushing 700,000 same deal new crate ICE at 350,000 the battery was replaced at 400k. Their newest addition is a hybrid Sienna gets crazy mileage 40-44mpg.

My own hybrid 2016 Fusion Energi has been a absolutely fantastic car. The plan is to pass it to my HS kid and probably pick up a Lincoln Corsair plugin hybrid AWD for the wife. Sadly most of the auto makers are quitting the plugin hybrid. We drive ours around locally on EV about 40% of the miles used. Charge it at home off the 110. Solar power on the house which cut our power cost by about $3600 average a yr since 2015. Easily $25,000 savings just on the low average. Not counting gas savings in the car, lower maintenance cost on the car fewer oil changes, far less brake pad wear at 90,000 and still have 30% on the pads. Oil changes I can wait till 7500+ miles given 40ish % of them are EV only. Add in the tax credit on the car purchase we paid $27k for a premium vehicle. Just by the numbers our plug-in hybrid has been the cheapest per mile car I’ve ever had. Nice ride too.

Solar power CUT your electricity bill BY $3600 a year?!?! Dang! I'm on Municipal power and that might be MORE than three YEARS worth of electricity bills for me!

Alloy

My neighbor bought an Escape PHEV 3 months ago. The are getting 2.5L/110km (94MPG) but they don't have a driveway so they and the tenant (Chev Volt) have been charging on the street.

City came by yesterday and said they have to stop charging on the street. This is a City that declared a climate emergency in 2019 and wants residents to reduce their ICE mileage by 50%.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Who is selling how many EVs?
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
I am mainly referencing the US market.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
My neighbor bought an Escape PHEV 3 months ago. The are getting 2.5L/110km (94MPG) but they don't have a driveway so they and the tenant (Chev Volt) have been charging on the street.

City came by yesterday and said they have to stop charging on the street. This is a City that declared a climate emergency in 2019 and wants residents to reduce their ICE mileage by 50%.
A city declared a climate emergency?🤣

calicamper

Expedition Leader

Again the crazy news coverage of the EV vs cold weather drama was exactly this large number of city dwellers who park on the curb with no legitimate charger location at home. Long power cords likely on under rated junk old house plugs and circuits strung across public sidewalks is no bueno.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
Again the crazy news coverage of the EV vs cold weather drama was exactly this large number of city dwellers who park on the curb with no legitimate charger location at home. Long power cords likely on under rated junk old house plugs and circuits strung across public sidewalks is no bueno.

Except for the videos that show numerous EV's deserted in numerous charging stations, people cannot use superchargers AND stay warm when batteries are not taking a charge.

Same users who wait in the EV while it's charging in a charging station at freezing could not do that below zero, I can get a full tank of gas at -22 while the GF stays warm!

No pictures of EV's parked on curbs with extension cords, so your disinformation tactics are a failure in this example no matter how many spins you put on it.

And again, chicago has ample charging stations, and the videos show evidence of that.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Except for the videos that show numerous EV's deserted in numerous charging stations, people cannot use superchargers AND stay warm when batteries are not taking a charge.

Same users who wait in the EV while it's charging in a charging station at freezing could not do that below zero, I can get a full tank of gas at -22 while the GF stays warm!

No pictures of EV's parked on curbs with extension cords, so your disinformation tactics are a failure in this example no matter how many spins you put on it.

And again, chicago has ample charging stations, and the videos show evidence of that.

But if they had effective charging at home would they be using a public charger in a blizzard?

If I had a fuel barrel at home I wouldn't be waiting in line at a gas station in a blizzard...

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
But if they had effective charging at home would they be using a public charger in a blizzard?

If I had a fuel barrel at home I wouldn't be waiting in line at a gas station in a blizzard...

Doesn't matter if they have chargers at home or not, the videos show them AT charging stations abandoned, I see people sitting in their cars at the charging stations here every day and they aren't abandoning them en mass, yet in the cold in chicago they were so that proves the theory about not enough chargers to be wrong, they were literally abandoned AT charging stations!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179