EV acceptance is peaking

jaxyaks

Adventurer
427997157_10229914126629266_1508872247656874023_n.jpg

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Wouldn’t even be a topic if the news skipped it, like all the other vehicles that failed during that storm. There weren’t news trucks at my buddies work covering how a bunch of them had cars that were left at work because they failed to start.

The only thing stupid is this thread.
The “news” wants EV to succeed, they aren’t covering a story that shows the growing pains of EV’s unless it was a legitimate concern.

Huh...I shared some info relevant to Chicago and the number of EV's in Cook county and somehow triggered the EV police. I could give 2 whatevers about EV owners in Chicago or anywhere else for that matter. Have you seen this group they may be of interest to you.

And here you are in a EV forum, offering your opinion for something you don’t give “2 whatevers” about.

Unfortunately we don’t really talk about actual EVs on this forum. It’s just become a place to spread doubt and argue with the occasional rando that stops by to kick a puppy.

Last edited:

jaxyaks

Adventurer
And here you are in a EV forum, offering your opinion for something you don’t give “2 whatevers” about.
It's a thread about the peaking of EV acceptance on an Overlanding Forum.... but never mind the details.

When I shared that, the conversation was going back and forth between plenty of chargers, not many EV's, to many EV's etc....so...as I was reading all of this I figured I would google and see if I could come up with some info regarding EV's in Chicago...I shared what I found.... and somehow set off the EVangelists.

I've not actually given my opinion on EV's....no one has really asked...

jaxyaks

Adventurer
I thought it was funny?

View attachment 819786
I thought it was funny as well, the Nissan Leaf video I also found funny.

What may be funnier is that I actually like EV's...lol. The technology is cool and watching the advancements in battery tech and electric motors trickle down to other motorized vehicles is awesome to watch, from Outboards, Motorcycles, Tractors and Bikes. There is some serious trailblazing going on and the infrastructure has a lot of catching up to do.

Hybrid tech is really coming into its own especially PHEV's which I happen to think is one of the best mixes of the two technologies and for a lot of car buyers it can be the best of both worlds.

I'm looking forward to the future and to see what is next....at the same time, I also love traditional internal combustion engine vehicles. You know...it is ok to like both after all...its also ok for an EV not to be for everyone just yet...shockingly its ok for both technologies to exist in the same world...it should not be a one or another kinda thing.

The more the EVangelists try to twist peoples arms into believing that they have to hate one to love another..and that they can't actually enjoy being a vehicle enthusiast without picking a side...the larger the brick wall the EVangelists will run into.

It''s not a one or the other, its ok to say...yep...thats one of the down falls of xyz...

At the end of the day there will be electric cars/tractors/planes/trains..etc and there will be gas powered vehicles and they will be mixed together for years to come, I dare say longer than most on these forums will be breathing....

Last I checked it was still ok to laugh and have fun...no matter if you drive an electric car, or gas powered car.....

Last edited:

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
Yikes, I laid out many of your erroneous claims about “plenty of chargers” right above here for all to see, and also showed proof from the articles/videos *that you cited* that a huge factor was not having enough chargers, and you’re still pretending that wasn’t your point. Wild.

We can literally just scroll up and read all the times that “plenty of chargers” was your point. You know that, right?

Oh, and all my supposed “moving of goalposts” was in my very first post on this topic. So, no moving goalposts. Same goalposts the whole time: Your claim that there were “plenty of chargers” is false, and it’s clear as day now.

And everyone agrees that some cars died and/or wouldn’t take a charge, and that it sucks for the drivers. Everyone agrees. So, you can stop pretending that you’re winning an argument that everyone agrees with. Our disagreement was on infrastructure.

From the very beginning, I quoted your claim that there were “plenty of chargers” and debunked it with an explanation of what probably happened to many of the cars, and it turned out to be exactly what happened.

Your claim is false. There aren’t enough chargers, and the lack of chargers substantially worsened the situation, just like I said from the very beginning.

Your posts are absolutely hysterical!
Congratulations, you have taken the title of most obtuse and self aggrandizing user away from the user in florida originally from utah and the user who camps in cali!

Once again I will repeat my original points from this event, there are plenty of chargers available! as evidenced by the sudden onset of frozen EV's left abandoned in charging stations around the area even while plugged in, in the week prior to the deep freeze the EV community was humming along just fine, users drove to chargers, plugged in and charged then went on their merry way, same way with the week after the deep freeze, batteries thawed, got charged and no mass desertion seen, but during the deep freeze we saw frozen EV's deserted in charging stations because the batteries would not take a charge! let me reiterate that, the frozen batteries would not charge!!!

The area affected by the freeze could have had 1 or 2 chargers available for every EV, if the EV will not charge due to being frozen then all the chargers in the world will not help!!

So let me make it simple for you, before and after deep freeze EV's work fine, plenty of chargers keeping EV community happy!!
During deep freeze EV's no longer function properly and are deserted en mass due to NOT WORKING AND CHARGING PROPERLY!!
Warm weather EV's good, cold weather EV's fail!!

Explain the change, plenty of chargers up to and after deep freeze and community happy, but all of a sudden during the deep freeze you suddenly claim "not enough chargers" and EV community unhappy! What changed? same number of EV's, same number of chargers!! So why the sudden problem? That's right!!! as I have claimed all thru this discussion it's the frozen and unable to charge batteries that caused ALL this!!!

Is that simple enough for even you?

Last edited:

3laine

Once again I will repeat my original points from this event, there are plenty of chargers available!

Cool story, but multiple people who were there disagree with you.

Explain the change, plenty of chargers up to and after deep freeze and community happy, but all of a sudden during the deep freeze you suddenly claim "not enough chargers" and EV community unhappy!

Wrong. I showed evidence days ago that there were often too few chargers at the affected locations even in better weather, and even very late at night, in the form of charging site reviews from owners who used them.

What changed? same number of EV's, same number of chargers!! So why the sudden problem? That's right!!! as I have claimed all thru this discussion it's the frozen and unable to charge batteries that caused ALL this!!!

Extreme cold makes the situation worse. Slower charging, less range, etc. If there are actually plenty of chargers, then EV owners can normally deal with the effects of cold without major issues, as evidenced by the vast, vast, vast majority of EVs that didn't get stranded despite similar weather across much of the northern US.

But combine extreme cold with insufficient infrastructure, and you get what happened in Chicago (but not many other places in similar magnitude).

So, yes, extreme cold is a major component, and so is insufficient infrastructure.

Strandings and dead batteries are rare even if one of the two are present, but put them both together, and you get Chicago.

So your claim that there were "plenty of EV chargers" isn't true. And it was a major contributor to the issue, as I claimed from the beginning. It's the main difference between Chicago and the many other areas where EVs did fine in similar weather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12