Ever tried to make your own roof top tent cover?

tantoco

Observer
In need of replacing my cover, not only is the color I would like not available but wow the price, on average $245 before tax and shipping, and typically need to be replaced every 2 years. Has me thinking about making my own, a quick search turned up these 18 oz. vinyl coated tarps for a fraction of the price of a branded cover: http://www.canopiesandtarps.com/tan-vinyl-coated-tarps-18oz.html. Of course it wouldn't have some of the features like the ratcheting tie-down and clips, but I could live with a string pulled through grommets underneath and save a few hundred dollars every couple years. Any feedback is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

tantoco

Observer
That's a great idea fullmetaljacket. I have a Eezi-awn T-top 1600, it's basically a rectangular box, 48x63x11. Will look around. Thanks.

tantoco

Observer
The Tepui cover is much cheaper than the Eezi-Awn, but the dimensions are 48x72x12 vs. Eezi at 48x63x11. Does anyone know how the Tepui cinches down around the edges and if the extra 9" of width would be a problem? (essentially a 4.5" overhang centered on each side)

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: My Tepui Kukenam cover is 48x56x12-w zipper strip to match

It's for sale for $75 bucks-+ shipping-

Color Gray, brand new--used one--
001_zps3125b80c.jpg

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

tantoco

Observer
Jimbo, thanks for the offer, that's a great deal, regrettably that model Tepui cover is 7" too short. Looks like the Gran Sabana is big enough, but 9" too wide, don't know if it's possible to cinch that much additional material around the bottom. How does it close at the bottom, the Eezi-Awn uses a webbing that is ratcheted inside a loop around the bottom, if similar I could see the bigger size just being ratcheted down more to make it fit. Thanks again.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
You can use the HD truck tarp material, it is pretty tough. Get the heaviest material that you can find and add internal upsets to reinforce the corners and other high wear spots. Use seam sealer.

The main problem is getting a fit that is tight enough not to flap in the wind (this is a primary reason for wear and failure), but at the same time it must be easy to get on and off. The ratchet strap idea solves this problem, sort of.

tantoco

Observer
Thanks Mike, it's a tough decision. In AZ the covers only last 2 years and having to drop $250+ every 2 years is a lot. The alternative like you noted could work but like you also point out could be a pain in the butt with lines running through grommets taking away one of the benefits which is speed of setup and take down. Was thinking of maybe a vinyl paint also that could put a few coats on the old one to make it last a little longer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78