Evidentiary standard for tech

Maryland 110

Adventurer
Everyone I know of who runs a 1.002 LT230 also has an extensively modified truck. JL Morin(Oilburner) uses one behind his Cummins in his 109 and Dougal runs one behind the Isuzu 4bd1t in his RRC They both have non Rover axles + transmissions too I believe. It can be a useful gearset- I wouldn't mind a 1:1 LT230 for one of the projects I have been working on. The 1.22 ratio is kind of screwing up what I want to do without going to really big rubber.

JL is going to drive down to my place in Va in the next 2 or 3 weeks for a 110 roof , windsheild frame, and defender steering column for the next generation of that 109. Still only seen it in pictures. So like me those running that ratio all have non Rover engines etc. The defenders manufactured in Austrailia in the 80's using the ZuZu diesel had lt95's with a 1.1

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
JL is going to drive down to my place in Va in the next 2 or 3 weeks for a 110 roof , windsheild frame, and defender steering column for the next generation of that 109. Still only seen it in pictures.

You're in for a treat. It's a beast of a truck.

Yorker

Adventurer
JL is going to drive down to my place in Va in the next 2 or 3 weeks for a 110 roof , windsheild frame, and defender steering column for the next generation of that 109. Still only seen it in pictures. So like me those running that ratio all have non Rover engines etc. The defenders manufactured in Austrailia in the 80's using the ZuZu diesel had lt95's with a 1.1

Yeah for some builds the 1:1 makes a lot of sense. Really depends what axles /tranny you are running IMHO. The underdrive high ratio LR used made sense when you stick to 3.54 diffs across the whole line. It always seemed to me that LR probably felt the 3.54 was the strongest Rover type R+P ratio they had on hand so they dicked around with the t-case high range ratio rather than R+Ps like other manufacturers usually did. They had 4.7 and 3.9(?) Rover R+Ps ratios directly availible in the manufacturing pipeline they could have used.

For me, I have a 1.22 t case and 4 speed T-18 tranny going w/4.10 diffs. That is like running ~5.00 R+P in other applications. without an OD that doesn't work well for what I may want to do.

Maryland 110

Adventurer
You pull that with a 300tdi? Any other engine mods to increase power or torque?

Nah. Engine is a LR factory reman unit (they tell me these are new not rebuilt). The truck had egr and a cat which fell off somehwere. The injection pump has been tweaked and continues to be a refinement process-waste gate actuator shortened. Guessing I'm getting about 120bhp but thats it. Its not so much about hp but how you have the off boost fueling adjusted-ie getting the whole thing rolling when you let the clutch out @ low rpms. Turbo doesn't have much if any impact until 1750 rpm. I want to go straight pipe and ditch the muffler as the turbo and long a$$ed exhaust run should do all the muffling needed. Keith @ Rovertracks recently did a straight pipe on his 110 and the difference was "signifigant". No muffler reduces back pressure and lets the turbo "spool" a little easier.

Maryland 110

Adventurer
Sam,
Without a TSA issued TWIC card wouldn't be able to get you into any of the nations ports. In the good old days I used to take friends and they loved it. The first time you go into one of these high volume ports you stand in awe of the sheer volume of stuff coming and going onto these ships. Aircraft, heavy machinery,military hardware etc- anything that won't fit in containers, hundreds of acres of automobiles parked bumper to bumper. The container portion of the port is elswhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12