Excursion Lockers

jdholder

Explorer
Ok, newbie question here - be gentle.

I have an 01 Excursion that I have started actually using (yes it's large on the trails) and would like to try and give it a little more ability off road.

I have been looking at lockers. I have had a 78 Blazer with a detroit locker in the rear and it use to pop and grind like crazy. Tough to have it as a daily driver.

My question is, has there been development in the Detroit Locker line that eases this popping noise? Or is there a better but almost just as strong and as high performace unit that I should be considering.

My Ex has the factory LSD, which works ok. Should I just leave that in the rear and lock the front? Or should I change out both.

Lot's of questions. Help. :)

Thanks!

FYI, I think the Excursions have Sterling 10.25 in the back and Dana 50 fronts. Whats out there available?

maximumrob

Adventurer
Any locker that's selectable is ideal for a DD.

Were it me, I wouldn't lock the front since your truck is so heavy. One miscalculation with the throttle and steering wheel could have you doing dangerous trail repairs. I use "dangerous" because BIG trucks usually break BIG parts!

Post pics, brother!

jdholder

Explorer
maximumrob said:
Any locker that's selectable is ideal for a DD.

Were it me, I wouldn't lock the front since your truck is so heavy. One miscalculation with the throttle and steering wheel could have you doing dangerous trail repairs. I use "dangerous" because BIG trucks usually break BIG parts!

Post pics, brother!

So would an LSD in the front help at all? Or would you not even think that would be a good option?

I will post pics ASAP. Have to get some non-poser ones (that's all I have right now :)).

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I have the same axle in the rear of my van, Sterling 10.5" with a Detroit. I've always loved them, even though you have to modify your driving style. It's great here in LA since all the roads are straight, and I love it in the desert and on trails. Mine has started popping a little more lately, and it's starting to get annoying. I also plan to relocate to the east coast soon, and I know the detroit won't be very happy about the mtn roads. So I'll be switching to an ARB soon. Also, I'm not too confident with the Detroit on ice or snow covered roads.

For the front, you have a Dana 50, so rule out a full locker right now. A good L/S will be great, like a Detroit True trac or a Powerlock. I run a powerlock in mine, and it's awesome. If you plan to use the rig offroad for the future, consider the Dynatrac free spin hub conversion. It will eliminate the unit bearings, and comes with stronger, 35 spline stub shafts. Hope this helps!!!

jdholder

Explorer
Thanks for the advice.

Is the Detroit Locker popping when you get out of the throtte? That's what my old one use to do in the 78 Blazer - it got old fast.

Beautiful Van Build! I would love to see it in person some day.

I guess it's ARB in the Rear and an LSD in the Front for me.

Now I just gotta schedule the work.

Thanks all!!!!

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
I'm not trying to talk anyone into anything here, but I am very happy with my front ARB locker. Mine is a D60. The rear gets used more often than the front, but the front locker has got me out of some really tough spots. I have only gotten the truck into one situation that the front locker would not get me out of, and that was when the truck was buried to the frame in soft sand.

Cheers
Mark

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
It's random...... sometimes under acceleration, or decel. I think the width of my tires is a factor. I had a Detroit in my old van, GM 14 bolt. It never acted up, but barked the tires more since they were 12.50's as opposed to my current 15.50's.

Also, with the D50 & 40's, a full locker will guarantee carnage........... no guarantees even with the L/S!!!!

I was just in Irvine last week!! I'm rebuilding an F350 for a long time customer, and I'm using the shop @ Extreme Trucks to do it. I'll be back down there in a couple weeks, so I'll let you know so we can hook up.

Last edited:

jdholder

Explorer
ujoint said:
It's random...... sometimes under acceleration, or decel. I think the width of my tires is a factor. I had a Detroit in my old van, GM 14 bolt. It never acted up, but barked the tires more since they were 12.50's as opposed to my current 15.50's.

I was just in Irvine last week!! I'm rebuilding an F350 for a long time customer, and I'm using the shop @ Extreme Trucks to do it. I'll be back down there in a couple weeks, so I'll let you know so we can hook up.

Awesome - pm me or e-mail jon at h3dv dot com.

Love to check the van out!

FROADER

Adventurer
ujoint said:

jdholder said:
Awesome - pm me

Love to check the van out!

Me too! :)

I've got a Detroit in the rear of my Explorer and the Detroit TrueTrac L/S in the front and they work very well together.

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
OutbacKamper said:
I'm not trying to talk anyone into anything here, but I am very happy with my front ARB locker. Mine is a D60. The rear gets used more often than the front, but the front locker has got me out of some really tough spots. I have only gotten the truck into one situation that the front locker would not get me out of, and that was when the truck was buried to the frame in soft sand.

Cheers
Mark

I agree with the front ARB (rear too for a DD).

When used properly, full lockers are LESS likely to cause broken parts. Especially selectable lockers. I wouldn't rule one out for fear of breaking, that is for sure. In my experience, locking front and rear give you the ability to slowly and easily crawly many obstacles that might require momentum or wheel speed in an open or LSD application. It is usually the shock loading that breaks parts and understanding proper driving technique will minimize the risks.

JMHO. :arabia:

(will be wheeling my 2500 Ram Quad Cab Long Bed next summer)

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
JeepN95YJ said:
I agree with the front ARB (rear too for a DD).

When used properly, full lockers are LESS likely to cause broken parts. Especially selectable lockers. I wouldn't rule one out for fear of breaking, that is for sure. In my experience, locking front and rear give you the ability to slowly and easily crawly many obstacles that might require momentum or wheel speed in an open or LSD application. It is usually the shock loading that breaks parts and understanding proper driving technique will minimize the risks.

You're right, for most vehicles.........but we're talking about a 9000+lb Excursion with a Dana 50. The stub shafts taper down, and they're prone to breaking with an open diff!! Add a strong diesel & 40" tires, and a locker will make things go pop. Also, it depends on what type of wheeling will be done and the part of the country/terrain.

jdholder

Explorer
ujoint said:
You're right, for most vehicles.........but we're talking about a 9000+lb Excursion with a Dana 50. The stub shafts taper down, and they're prone to breaking with an open diff!! Add a strong diesel & 40" tires, and a locker will make things go pop.

I wonder what I should put in the front to help assure something DOESN'T go pop? Dana 60?? 70??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78