Exiss 3 Horse to ATV trip toy hauler.

Wraytex

once I got the spool gun in i practiced on some 1/8" scrap in the garage then finally on the actual sections of wall that i cut off and in the vertical plane as well. fwiw, you've got to really move the spool gun faster that what you're accustomed to if you haven't migged aluminum before.

159431412.DaljEGuU.jpg

During this time I also went to a trailer repair shop and picked up a new sheet of .050 painted aluminum. I didn't have a choice on the color of white and I really wasn't trying to be too particular here. I told the wife to consider it one more layer of theft protection.

159431414.1xazgThz.newexterioraluminumsheet.jpg

Wraytex

CC thanks for the Aluminum weld history, I didn't know that. I had read where the big slideouts on aluminum trailers really compromised the rigidity of the trailers and to probably stay away from those.

Wraytex

I removed the old door, drilled out all the affected rivets and put the new sheet in place. The color match although noticeable, is closer than I had feared it would be.

159431784.9p3FdRPT.jpg

I picked up some aluminum tubing one weekday at lunch and boy is that stuff pricey.

159431785.B82P0VLk.jpg

Wraytex

I welded in the wall with the new studs

159431827.IJK2BUib.photo1aa.jpg

I welded up the cracked door frame, this was typical of my welds on the wall and the door frame, three passes.

159431828.De4komv4.jpg

Wraytex

I then began framing up the stud and framework for the refrigerator vent
159431834.b58Lsm3t.006s.jpg

I cut the sheet after putting it back and marking the hole location

159431787.qmifrVIm.007s.jpg

Wraytex

Which brings this thread to the current status of the project. I ordered some clecos and larger rivets off of ebay and have the sheet on there with them at the moment.
I should have it riveted on this weekend and hopefully onto the subfloor framing. This picture shows the color difference pretty good.

159431788.sAdq14m2.jpg

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Looks good. Thats going to be a nice gear hauler with an apartment when your done. Lots of these trailers out there today surprised we don't see more folks doing this actually. I doubt your going to be hauling the type of weight we were dealing with when hauling horses. Even just our old two horse rig with horses and tack some feed etc that trailer was insanely heavy! One of my horses tipped in at 1400lbs he was big but the others were not much smaller then you can imagine all the extra crap that goes with the horses and your packing some serious weight in the trailer. Your set up and use should work pretty damn well with that trailer.

Wraytex

Thank you CC, our Canam outlander weights less than 800, if we ever switch to one of the polaris side by sides, I think we would then be just over 1000 pounds. I am trying to source a narrow profile water tank to put in front of the four wheeler, I've located some pricey ones with shipping pretty high too. The 50 gallon one I'm looking at would add another 400+ pounds, but still a pretty light setup over all. I added airbags to the dodge after getting the trailer, not for the ride but to keep other drivers at night from getting offended.

Wraytex

Follow Up... Not finished but this was the state as of our late September trip to Utah. Swapped out all lighting for LED's, added the cooktop, 16,000 btu furnace, 50 gallon fresh/30 gallon gray/ and a shower pan/toilet combo. Tight fit but works pretty good. The insulation added really made a difference on the cold mornings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998