Expedition build platform

jmjnewbold

I'm new to off-roading, but I know what I would like to do. I am looking to build an expedition type vehicle with the capability to run trails like Rubicon and other legendary trails. Important factors to me are 1. the ability to comfortably seat my family of four. 2. Good aftermarket support. 3. Decent gas mileage. I have heard many good things about the Fzj80, but with a straight six gas mileage stinks. If there is a vehicle out there with all the positives of the 80, but with mileage in the low 20's that would be awesome.

CaliMobber

Adventurer
Your not really going to find a vehicle with the capabilities of the cruiser 80 that gets over 20mpg. You can compromise like the solid front end and open your prospects but you will either need to go smaller or get like a pricey hybrid sequoia or something but I dont know anything about those.

From what ive heard people who drive very conservative and take care of the land cruiser can get like 17 hwy. So you will just have to get your priority's straight first.

Grease Cruiser

Adventurer
I'm new to off-roading, but I know what I would like to do. I am looking to build an expedition type vehicle with the capability to run trails like Rubicon and other legendary trails. Important factors to me are 1. the ability to comfortably seat my family of four. 2. Good aftermarket support. 3. Decent gas mileage. I have heard many good things about the Fzj80, but with a straight six gas mileage stinks. If there is a vehicle out there with all the positives of the 80, but with mileage in the low 20's that would be awesome.

The only thing better than the 80.....is a diesel 80 or any diesel Cruiser for that matter. :sombrero:

With a diesel, you will get 20+ mpg in an 80. The unfortunate thing is that Toyota never imported these to the US. However, there are quite a few conversions floating around and even a few gray market vehicles.

The other option is to buy an 80 and do a diesel conversion on it. If you are mechanically inclined, you could do it yourself. Or, you might find a shop to do it for you. The shop I work for (Proffitt's Cruisers), can do it for you if you like. Or, there are other shops out there too. There is a lot of information concerning a diesel swap and I suggest you do your research and a lot of it. If you would like to discuss the pros/cons, you can contact me through the website www.proffittscruisers.com or you can call me at 1-877-PROFFITT

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Do ANY of the modifications ever help us to recoup the cost of the vehicle?

"Investment" is probably the least of anyones goals when building up their vehicles...

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
Do ANY of the modifications ever help us to recoup the cost of the vehicle?

"Investment" is probably the least of anyones goals when building up their vehicles...

Some mods are "necessary" in order for us to achieve our particular goals and/or provide more capability, capacity, etc.

Swapping in a diesel to achieve better gas mileage accomplishes basically nothing. The vehicle already has a capable, reliable and proven engine. Spending thousands to swap in the same thing (an engine...both types do the job) so you can get a few MPG's better makes no financial sense whatsoever. If one is worried about future gas costs then slap the $4000 in the bank instead and withdrawl as needed to pay your gas costs. You'll have money in the bank 10-year later.

eric1115

Adventurer
Some mods are "necessary" in order for us to achieve our particular goals and/or provide more capability, capacity, etc.

Swapping in a diesel to achieve better gas mileage accomplishes basically nothing. The vehicle already has a capable, reliable and proven engine. Spending thousands to swap in the same thing (an engine...both types do the job) so you can get a few MPG's better makes no financial sense whatsoever. If one is worried about future gas costs then slap the $4000 in the bank instead and withdrawl as needed to pay your gas costs. You'll have money in the bank 10-year later.

Lots of folks do a diesel conversion for the extra range, not fuel savings. If you're limited to, say, 70 gallons (extended range tank plus aux tank, no more room for more fuel), you can go 700 miles at 10 mpg, or almost 1300 if you can pull down 18mpg with a diesel. Not LOTS of places where you'll be going that far between places you can fill up, but many folks on here like to explore those few places where this is the case.

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
Lots of folks do a diesel conversion for the extra range, not fuel savings. If you're limited to, say, 70 gallons (extended range tank plus aux tank, no more room for more fuel), you can go 700 miles at 10 mpg, or almost 1300 if you can pull down 18mpg with a diesel. Not LOTS of places where you'll be going that far between places you can fill up, but many folks on here like to explore those few places where this is the case.

Oh, very true...but that was not what we were discussing. It was U.S. use, gas vs diesel swap to save fuel dollars, etc. Plus, I didn't even brong up the fact here in the US about much higher fuel prices on diesel.

Last edited:

eric1115

Adventurer
Oh, very true...but that was not what we were discussing. It was U.S. use, gas vs diesel swap to save fuel dollars, etc. Plus, I didn't even brong up the fact here in the US about much higher fuel prices on diesel.

Yes, I was just making the point for folks who might be reading trying to decide if a diesel conversion suits their purposes. I did a bit of figuring; with some assumptions ($3 gas, $3.50 diesel; 12k miles per year; $4k cost of swap; 12 mpg gas, 18 mpg diesel), it would take 6 years to break even.

(That's assuming you were to stuff the $4k under a mattress... 5% interest gives you an extra grand or so after 6 years; it takes 10 years, 120k miles to get your money back out if you factor in interest)

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
Yes, I was just making the point for folks who might be reading trying to decide if a diesel conversion suits their purposes. I did a bit of figuring; with some assumptions ($3 gas, $3.50 diesel; 12k miles per year; $4k cost of swap; 12 mpg gas, 18 mpg diesel), it would take 6 years to break even.

(That's assuming you were to stuff the $4k under a mattress... 5% interest gives you an extra grand or so after 6 years; it takes 10 years, 120k miles to get your money back out if you factor in interest)

Kinda like buying a Hybrid, huh? One can own a way better Corolla for thousands less than a Prius. One rarely gets their return with a Prius and they have to live with it insteadof a nicer car.

eric1115

Adventurer
Oh, for sure! Nothing (well, few things) make me giggle like seeing someone who bought a brand new Prius "for the environment" or "to save money". Either way, shoulda bought a Civic, a diesel Golf, a Corolla, etc.

Environement? Brand new car with significant environmental impacts from producing the batteries! How much better to keep a 10 year old Civic out of the crusher? And give up what, 25% in fuel economy?

Save money? Same deal! A clean 2000 Honda Civic goes for what, $5k? A new Prius, 20k more? At $3.50 a gallon, it takes 660,000 miles to save 20k in gas going from 50mpg to 35mpg. Repairs? Battery replacement? hmmm...

Or a Golf TDI. Way more fun, way better build quality, same mpg

Grease Cruiser

Adventurer
Originally Posted by Grease Cruiser View Post
The other option is to buy an 80 and do a diesel conversion on it.

And you will NEVER recoop the money it cost via fuel savings.

Interesting remark: I never said to take out a perfectly good engine to replace it with a diesel. I said to just buy an 80 and transplant a diesel. The OP said he wanted a vehicle for his needs and a diesel transplanted FZJ80 fits his needs.

There are plenty of 80's out there with high mileage or blown engines that can be had for cheap. I bought a 1993 almost a year ago with 346K miles on it for $2000 and with factory lockers. The PO could not sell it for his asking price of $3500 as no one would touch it with that kind of miles. The miles did not bother me as I was planning on doing a diesel conversion anyways. I started driving the thing and it runs so well that I just keep driving it. It now has 357K miles on it and I drive it 70 miles commuting every day. The gas mileage is killing me at $75+ week and I need a Honda Civic. But, I can't complain for a $2,000 80 series.

I won't even go into the part about running bio-diesel or veggie oil. You can save quite a bit of money if you run these fuels and you brew it yourself. The fuel savings with a diesel conversion will pay for itself over time......a long time perhaps. But you can also look at it from the angle of, you are saving a Cruiser and giving it more life. A high mileage 80 or a blown engine is not the end of the world....it is a new beginning.

No, it does not make sense to go out and pay top dollar for a low mileage 80 series and then yank out the perfectly good engine and go with a diesel. You are correct on that. However, to make such bold remarks as "you will NEVER recoop your money in fuel savings" is poor advice. You need to look at it from all angles.

Also, some people just want to have a diesel Cruiser and they will do what they want; myself included. If you have never owned a diesel Cruiser, then I don't expect you to understand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears