Expedition Camper Adhesive Advice?

I am planning to use korapop 225 for the assembly of my box (aluminum Exo to FRP Gelcoat panels). This part is at least decided

I'm looking for more information on the best prep advice including activator and primer. At this point my plan is to:
  1. Clean
  2. Sand to 80 Grit
  3. Vacuum/Clean again with isopropyl
  4. Sika 205 for Aluminum and Sika 100 for Gelcoat
I'm not super concerned about the gelcoat side but more so the aluminum. I plan to do some testing regardless but looking for advice/recommendations on whether or not I should use 207 primer. I spoke to a Sika rep and they recommended Sika207 Primer and no activator, but also noted that koraop 225 is a different chemical base then Sika252 and bonding cannot be guaranteed. So not sure if this is a safer choice really.

As someone new to using these adhesives it is hard to learn to trust the glue. It seems Total Composites @Victorian recommends just 205 activator for Korapop 225.

Anyone who used Korapop 225 for bonding their habitat with aluminum want to give their prep procedure (assuming your box is still one piece!)

hoodlum

Hello, have you considered 3M tape.? I spoke with Nic yesterday at 3M tech support.. very helpful.
I’m going with the VBH 4991 tape.
It will connect the aluminum studs to ,050 aluminum skin on the walls and roof.
With tape it’s an instant connection.

Big fan of Sika construction products.

just a thought.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I am planning to use korapop 225 for the assembly of my box (aluminum Exo to FRP Gelcoat panels). This part is at least decided

I'm looking for more information on the best prep advice including activator and primer. At this point my plan is to:
  1. Clean
  2. Sand to 80 Grit
  3. Vacuum/Clean again with isopropyl
  4. Sika 205 for Aluminum and Sika 100 for Gelcoat
I'm not super concerned about the gelcoat side but more so the aluminum. I plan to do some testing regardless but looking for advice/recommendations on whether or not I should use 207 primer. I spoke to a Sika rep and they recommended Sika207 Primer and no activator, but also noted that koraop 225 is a different chemical base then Sika252 and bonding cannot be guaranteed. So not sure if this is a safer choice really.

As someone new to using these adhesives it is hard to learn to trust the glue. It seems Total Composites @Victorian recommends just 205 activator for Korapop 225.

Anyone who used Korapop 225 for bonding their habitat with aluminum want to give their prep procedure (assuming your box is still one piece!)

We just recently went through some testing and compared the sika adhesives with the 225. Although the sika products had almost the same technical specs for tensile strength, curing time etc, we found the 225 much easier to work with. For one: the 225 has virtually no VOC . The sika 252 had quite a bit of off gassing. The 252 was very thick and much harder to get an even application.
Envisioning your assembly where you need to apply a great amount I personally would prefer the 225. You will see the biggest difference when you put the pieces together while trying to get an even uniform glue joint.
But no matter what PU based adhesive you are using, all need at least 2-3mm thickness for max bonding strength, around 18C working temperature and humidity to get the curing started.
Price, user friendliness , no off gassing, easy clean up with dish soap/water solution would make me select the Koemmerling 225.

Hello, have you considered 3M tape.? I spoke with Nic yesterday at 3M tech support.. very helpful.
I’m going with the VBH 4991 tape.
It will connect the aluminum studs to ,050 aluminum skin on the walls and roof.
With tape it’s an instant connection.

Big fan of Sika construction products.

just a thought.
I actually will be using 3m VHB as my spacer material to make the adhesive happy. I'm sure it could be used exclusively to make a box but I prefer the bonding strength of traditional PU adhesive! VHB sounds great for your application.

We just recently went through some testing and compared the sika adhesives with the 225. Although the sika products had almost the same technical specs for tensile strength, curing time etc, we found the 225 much easier to work with. For one: the 225 has virtually no VOC . The sika 252 had quite a bit of off gassing. The 252 was very thick and much harder to get an even application.
Envisioning your assembly where you need to apply a great amount I personally would prefer the 225. You will see the biggest difference when you put the pieces together while trying to get an even uniform glue joint.
But no matter what PU based adhesive you are using, all need at least 2-3mm thickness for max bonding strength, around 18C working temperature and humidity to get the curing started.
Price, user friendliness , no off gassing, easy clean up with dish soap/water solution would make me select the Koemmerling 225.
You have me sold on 225 (that I will be order through you once I get this all figured out!) Can you confirm the best prep-steps/activator/primer for 225 for bonding aluminum/fiberglass?

Thanks!

Victorian

You have me sold on 225 (that I will be order through you once I get this all figured out!) Can you confirm the best prep-steps/activator/primer for 225 for bonding aluminum/fiberglass?

Thanks!

Thank you! We use the sika 205 activator for bonding FRP to FRP and FRP to Metal. This was recommended by Koemmerling in Germany. You may wonder why we won't use the Koemmerling activator... Due to this being classified as dangerous goods, shipping it from Germany to North America would be VERY expensive and complicated. Simply not worth the effort.
In any case, we have seen a huge increase in the sale of the 225 adhesive through our online store... koemmerling-korapop-225-adhesive-600ml-white We have fresh stock coming in regularly but please plan for possible delays! Btw, getting the 600ml sausage type will get you the best value at twice the volume of the cartridge style. They also create less waste!

Cheers

Thank you! We use the sika 205 activator for bonding FRP to FRP and FRP to Metal. This was recommended by Koemmerling in Germany. You may wonder why we won't use the Koemmerling activator... Due to this being classified as dangerous goods, shipping it from Germany to North America would be VERY expensive and complicated. Simply not worth the effort.
In any case, we have seen a huge increase in the sale of the 225 adhesive through our online store... koemmerling-korapop-225-adhesive-600ml-white We have fresh stock coming in regularly but please plan for possible delays! Btw, getting the 600ml sausage type will get you the best value at twice the volume of the cartridge style. They also create less waste!

Cheers
Thanks! I'll put in an order today. I hope it's still in stock, it was when I checked a week or so ago! Just to confirm, you're using 205 on the FRP side too? do you bother scuffing the panels side beforehand?

Victorian

Thanks! I'll put in an order today. I hope it's still in stock, it was when I checked a week or so ago! Just to confirm, you're using 205 on the FRP side too? do you bother scuffing the panels side beforehand?
Thank you for your order! Yes, we recommend to scuff the FRP and the aluminum.

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12