Expedition Mitsubishi Challenger

mrbishi

Adventurer
iPhone all mounted up now.

I've got one cable (the dock cable) running from the iPhone into the dock (which is hidden behind the dash). Out of the dock runs a 3.5 aux into my deck and a charger input - works out rather neatly.

Take 1 ebay dock:

dock.jpg

Crack it open:

dockopen.jpg

Wire it all up and voila:

iphonedock.jpg

The ram mounts are impressive - I'll be getting another to replace my flimsy Garmin mount.

Crikeymike

Adventurer
I decided to go with some Boss 12 way Adjustable shock absorbers. They are a pretty new brand over here but a lot of hardcore trucks are running them and they are proving to be really good.

Some of the features:

* 12 way adjustable dampening
* 60mm body
* 22mm shaft features female thread to enable any combination of top mounting
* female thread in the base of shock bottom for combination of bottom configuration
* Oil/foam filled twin tube construction
* Durable rubber boot protection
* virtually any length available
* can be mounted upside down for less unsprung weight
* forged pin or loops, chrome plated for durability

Are they valved specifically for different vehicle models?

How are you getting 3" of lift out of it? Did you lower the torsion bar mounts, or just crank them up?

mrbishi

Adventurer
New shocks installed after a bit of wrenching last night - turned out to be a bit harder than expected (always happens!). The lower bushes were about 10mm to wide to fit the mount and had to be trimmed and one of the old shocks top pin bolts decided to round itself.

Old vs New - the old shocks were in pretty good cosmetic condition but one push of them found them to be notchy and gritty after years of abuse.

shockcomparison.jpg

Installed at last!

shockinstall.jpg

I've tried them briefly on setting number 1 which will be great offroad, and setting 6 which seems to be good onroad. When I get the rears in I'll be able to give a full report but so far much better than the old busted ones.

mrbishi

Adventurer
Well knocked off 2 projects today - installed the cargo barrier and built a flip out table that extends off my existing slide.

Sorry the pictures are so crap - will take some better ones tomorrow when its light.

The cargo barrier:

cargobarrier.jpg

The rear table - its 86 wide by 60 deep - lots of space to setup for cooking and preparing dinner. Also my LED light mounted on my boot lights up the area perfectly. Its got an aluminium top and fold out legs that can adjust in height so uneven terrain is no worry.

Open without the slide extended:

storage1.jpg

Closed (closes perfectly over my top shelf):

storage2.jpg

Slide extended and table out:

storage3q.jpg

storage4.jpg

mrbishi

Adventurer
600watt inverter now hooked up for camera battery/rechargable battery/occasional laptop battery charging duties.

inverter.jpg

apsilon

Observer
I like the table extension idea :cool:

You're probably going to use it for other things given 600w is fairly beefy but I was considering an inverter recently for battery charging but found it cheaper/easier to just buy 12v chargers for the camera and netbook. In fact just last weekend I installed 2 cig sockets at the rear of the centre console for just that.

mrbishi

Adventurer
The inverter was actually a gift I was given 3 years ago and I just never got around to installing it. With the cargo barrier it was just too easy and I had to :D Not that I've ever had a need for 240v in my car but its nice just to have another "toy" :p

Few more little project to tidy up and get her ready for a 5 day trip in 2 weeks into some remote terrain.

Last edited:

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Nice build up thread!

Its got an aluminium top and fold out legs that can adjust in height so uneven terrain is no worry.

Finally had a quick run through your build up thread, well done. Looks like you are getting out there and enjoying the country.

Cool fold out table. Where did you get the table leg hinges that allow them to fold out? I'm thinking that for the legs, you could simply pick up some adjustable tent poles but not sure where to source the folding part of the fold out legs.
Cheers,
P

mrbishi

Adventurer
thanks mate - they actually are adjustable tent poles cut down to size :D

The "hinge" and the "eye" are high density nylon parts picked up a large camping store (I think BCF or Anaconda) in the tent pole section :)

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
thanks mate - they actually are adjustable tent poles cut down to size :D

The "hinge" and the "eye" are high density nylon parts picked up a large camping store (I think BCF or Anaconda) in the tent pole section :)

Ah, I thought they looked strangely like tent poles! I'll have a look for the "hinge" bit the next time I'm out at the camping store.

Cheers,
P

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior