Expedition Overland 2013 Tacoma Build

J

JWP58

The whole travelling with a gun for protection is just so foreign to me, I just have never had an experience here in Australia or OS where it was ever an issue of any sort. Have you had the need to use a weapon for defence ?

Genuine question not having a go, just curious as obviously the American gun culture is very different than here. I understand the need/want for hunting

Anyway cool buildup can't wait for the next season of the show

Do you carry extra parts for your vehicle? What about recovery gear??? Do you always need all the crap you bring? NO. Is it nice to have when you need it? Hell yes. The same principle applies to firearms.

Have I ever had to use my weapon in a self defense situation? Nope, not yet, but if I ever do it will be on my right side ready to go ( I hope I never have to!).

The topic of self defense has nothing to do with "American culture". It has every thing to do with common sense. Why in the world would you leave on an expedition without parts, tools, and gear for your vehicle? You wouldn't. Same as I wouldn't leave my home without protection (i.e. a firearm). (it also has nothing to do with hunting, which I love as well).

Unfortunately the poor folks of England, Australia, and countless other places have been legislated into being victims.......and the U.S.A. isn't far behind.

Sweet build by the way.

grimbo

Explorer
I'm in no way a victim when I travel without a gun, it just plays no part in my life or upbringing.

It was not an attack on those who carry a weapon it was a question because there is very defined an American gun culture which is different to that of other countries. I'm not attacking it just saying it is different and getting some insight into what situations were being prepared for.

I know why you take spare parts etc so calm down, don't read more into the question than was there.

With the upcoming trip how many vehicles will be taking part? Will the bike from last season be involved or will it be all 4wds?

Benbacher

Observer
Absolutely. I just realized that I didn't need half the lights we see on TW lol. I still WANT them, but in no way do I need them for wheeling. I may be able to convince myself yet for daily driving though :p

FireGuy

Adventurer
The whole travelling with a gun for protection is just so foreign to me, I just have never had an experience here in Australia or OS where it was ever an issue of any sort. Have you had the need to use a weapon for defence ?

Genuine question not having a go, just curious as obviously the American gun culture is very different than here. I understand the need/want for hunting

Anyway cool buildup can't wait for the next season of the show

This has nothing to do with being an "American gun culture" thing. When you are many miles off road there is aways the possibility that you will run into people who have ill intentions towards you or your belonging. You cannot call 911, no police are coming to help you out. I've had two separate incidents where just brandishing a firearm was enough to convince some unsavory types that I was not the guy to rob, or torment. While we are all good people who venture off road to relax, enjoy nature, spend time with family, etc there is a certain element of society that unfortunately ventures off road for other reason. Just here in Vegas within the last year they have found several major pot farms up in the mountains where we going wheeling. I'm talking big farms, $20 million worth of pot. I can assure you if you were to accidentally stumble across one of these farms they would not treat you too kindly. I for one would prefer to have a firearm as a last resort seeing how you won't have the option to call for help. It is not a culture thing, it is a self reliance thing. You are 100% responsible for your safety off road. If you want to drive around and believe you will never encounter a bad guy off road have it it. Experience has taught me otherwise.

grimbo

Explorer
Experience has also taught me my viewpoint from travelling all over Australia, SE Asia, Canada, the US and Europe.

It's fine lets not hijack further, I was curious and forgot about the bear danger

Freezer

Observer
Cool Build! Can you post any close up shots of the hawse fairlead on the ARB-bumper? I have a similar setup and had to order an offset fairlead that will hopefully work with the bumper.

Given the choice i would definitely travel with a gun too. It's just a tool. The problem is that in most parts of the world people do not have the FREEDOM to choose to do so. Nice setup BTW!

ExpeditionOverland

Supporting Sponsor
Did you check out page 22? let us know if you need something more.
Cool Build! Can you post any close up shots of the hawse fairlead on the ARB-bumper? I have a similar setup and had to order an offset fairlead that will hopefully work with the bumper.

Given the choice i would definitely travel with a gun too. It's just a tool. The problem is that in most parts of the world people do not have the FREEDOM to choose to do so. Nice setup BTW!

Freezer

Observer
Got a good look when i enlarged the photo on PB. Thanks!

Looks like it's working just fine for you. Maybe they(ARB) enlarged the opening on the newer bumpers. On mine ('02) the rope would definitely drag the lower edge of the opening with a standard hawse fairlead.

Did you check out page 22? let us know if you need something more.

Tbird

Observer
Got the opportunity to see the Expedition Overland rig in person at the EXPO last weekend. WOW...I spent more time looking over this rig with Clay and Jeff than I did anything else there. Great to meet such friendly people...Clay, his wife, Jeff, etc. Thanks for taking the time to give my wife and I such a thorough walk-around on the truck. A lot of great ideas incorporated in the rig...and so very well thought out. I'll be copying a lot of the stuff they've done. The wrap is super cool...I plan to use a part of it for my hood blackout...I already had the exact same idea but hadn't found the image file I wanted.

Can't wait to follow the expedition!

:bowdown:

Kole

Adventurer
Got a good look when i enlarged the photo on PB. Thanks!

Looks like it's working just fine for you. Maybe they(ARB) enlarged the opening on the newer bumpers. On mine ('02) the rope would definitely drag the lower edge of the opening with a standard hawse fairlead.

Freezer, I think you missed post 194 where it shows how they modified the bumper to accommodate that fairlead.

AngletwoofBarcut_zps8f64b0ea.jpg

getoutside

Observer
I give up on the NAV and mapping question....... but love the build and the webisodes none the less.

SFC Morgan Merrill

Lecoq

Explorer
Unfortunately the poor folks of England, Australia, and countless other places have been legislated into being victims.......and the U.S.A. isn't far behind.

Sweet build by the way.

:Wow1:

Look at the crime rate for each one of these countries you have listed and you'll understand why most of us don't need a gun when we travel. It's a different story in the U.S.A. where everyone has one, but up here in Canada I think you'd be good to venture anywhere off the beaten path with a can of bear spray.

I love how fast this build is progressing. Truck is looking great!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78

Members online