Expedition Portal: The Land Rover 109 IIA Build

aka rover

Adventurer
For the record, if I was to upgrade down the road, It would likely be to a factory salisbury unit from a SIII. Perhaps with an ARB,

This is the route I am taking, I am going with a detroit locker as its a drop in unit and will go selectable in the front but for now I will leave it open and spend more money on other areas.

Nice buildup.

Ed

AFSOC

Explorer
My own rear end drove for at least 300 miles since I've owned the vehicle with no lubrication, and who knows how many miles with the previous owner, the same rear end has also powered some of the most adventurous expeditions the world has ever known; I'd call that quality equipment. :)

You've had real change of heart regarding the Series Rover third member in this past week.

The factory axles are a weak point, I'm trying figure out if it makes more sense to swap a Salisbury rear end, or to upgrade the differential to a 24 spline with HD Shafts.

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Here was the project for the early afternoon!

I installed a very nice Adventure Trailers storage drawer, and a Waaco Fridge (on loan from ClarkWhite) It's starting to pan out to be a nice little vehicle.

MAT_4028.jpg

A quick word on the AT storage drawer - the unit I got was in the Jeep JK Overland, It's been sitting outside for some time now. It's still flawless, one of the benefits of the composite is that it doesn't rot, or warp, this system has seen some serious abuse, and is still like new to me. I love AT's products, and not to mention they're great people. Here's a link to their drawer systems.

Matt, we're happy to see the drawer come out of the rain and take on new purposeful life in your Land Rover. Looking forward to watching your build and the path you take making it the ultimate getaway rig.

AFSOC

Explorer
It is the Land Rover reality distortion field

:iagree: Guaranteed to occur within one week of ownership or 300 miles…your mileage may vary

At least Matt will never feel betrayed by his Series for breaking down…unless the walk back to civilization is one week or 300 miles. :hehe::hehe:

Have fun with your rig Matt. I hope you enjoy many adventures. :smiley_drive:

TeriAnn

Explorer
I'm a bit late to the thread.

First, the 109 is murder on rear 10 spline axles. I broke 7 of them before switching to a Salisbury. The Salisbury is standard fitment on SIII 109s. It is a bolt on swap. What people haven't mentioned so far is that you should use a SIII rear prop shaft with a Salisbury and not the stock SIIA rear propshaft. Go with a Salisbury and everything is stock off the shelf SIII components.

I would upgrade the rear axle first thing and work on getting the entire vehicle into factory spec. I suggest doing all the maintenance items listed in the factory maintenance list in the owners manual.

Yes a gear reduction starter is a good idea as is an alternator. Ike has alternator brackets that makes the install easy.

Just drive it and get a feel for it. Learn its limitations.

One word of warning. The front brakes have only leading shoes. No trailing shoes. This means it stops fairly well in the forward direction and poorly in the reverse direction. If you are forced to come to a stop on a steep uphill you may have a very hard time keeping it from rolling back. Drive accordingly and keep the mechanical brake well adjusted.

If you ever want to talk 109s I'm just up the hill in Flagstaff just off 89A & S. Lake Mary.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader

First, the 109 is murder on rear 10 spline axles. I broke 7 of them before switching to a Salisbury. The Salisbury is standard fitment on SIII 109s. It is a bolt on swap. What people haven't mentioned so far is that you should use a SIII rear prop shaft with a Salisbury and not the stock SIIA rear propshaft. Go with a Salisbury and everything is stock off the shelf SIII components.

One word of warning. The front brakes have only leading shoes. No trailing shoes. This means it stops fairly well in the forward direction and poorly in the reverse direction. If you are forced to come to a stop on a steep uphill you may have a very hard time keeping it from rolling back. Drive accordingly and keep the mechanical brake well adjusted.

If you can get a later Salisbury, like the one in my 110, you also get disk brakes on the rear. :)

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Coiler salisburys are different than leafer salisburys. They are not a direct replacement. Requires cutting and welding plus I think the coiler axle is wider, different gear ratio.

MattScott

Approved Vendor

I would upgrade the rear axle first thing and work on getting the entire vehicle into factory spec. I suggest doing all the maintenance items listed in the factory maintenance list in the owners manual.

Yes a gear reduction starter is a good idea as is an alternator. Ike has alternator brackets that makes the install easy.

Just drive it and get a feel for it. Learn its limitations.

If you ever want to talk 109s I'm just up the hill in Flagstaff just off 89A & S. Lake Mary.

I've read on the lack of a trailing shoe - and experienced it first hand while doing some training exercises with Scott It's surely interesting, but all part of the vintage.

I'd love to check out the dormobile!

blue bomber

Adventurer
Great basin rovers has series width 24 spline axle shafts and the trutrac.
If you are running 4.70 gears a ring gear spacer and bolts will also be required.
Cheers , Matthew

TeriAnn

Explorer
I've read on the lack of a trailing shoe - and experienced it first hand while doing some training exercises with Scott It's surely interesting, but all part of the vintage.

And adds a sense of do or die to steep ascents. That's why I converted to disc front brakes. They work just as well in both directions. Then there is the novelty of having brakes when you finish a water crossing.

If you are swapping out the rear diff for a Trutrac or ARB, you might consider going to the 4.75:1 R&P gear that Great Basin Rovers offers. Much, much stronger and no spacing plate required.

Frontdiffs.jpg

Left diff: Rover pumpkin, Trutac 24 spline, 4.75:1 ring gear
Right diff: Rover pumpkin, Quaife 10 spline, stock 4.7:1 ring gear & spacer.
Underneath: Part of 24 spline Seriestrek 24 spline front axle

Notice how much more massive the 4.75:1 ring gear is compared to the stock Rover 4.7:1. If you are going to upgrade, do it right the first time.

Great Basin can provide a ready to install pumpkin with trutrac & R&P gears preinstalled and already properly set up. It becomes a straight install with no adjustments. That's how I got the one on the left which is now in the front of my truck along with the Seriestrek 24 spline front axles.

blue bomber

Adventurer
The 4.75's are nice but not a necessary swap. A 4.75 will require a late style third member or bearing sleeves in an early housing. Also the late housing will need to have to a fill plug drilled and tapped into it. Pick your poison!?? With a 4 banger I wouldn't be too worried about using longer BSF bolts and the spacer. I ran this set up for a few years .The replacement stock 4.70 gears have sae fine threads, if bolt strength is a concern . The stock R&P's fail due to the stock 2 pinion carrier flex, both 3.54 and 4.70. More handy trivia, a 4 pinion RR hse 4.6 rear carrier has the same gear spacing as the 4.70. Go figure?? This 24 spline carrier can also be used in an early housing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior