Expedition Portal: The Land Rover 109 IIA Build

aka rover

Adventurer
I just bougt the ROAM offroad TIMM COOPER disc brake conversion and it is a sweet kit and all made in the USA and no special machined rotors.

If interested I have all the brake bits off my 2.6 NADA 109 that I wont be using.

blue bomber

Adventurer
This is a testimonial for the Roam conversion.

AKA: The Blue Bomber SII 88” with Vortec 5.7 V8, "granny" four speed with adaptors by Advance Adapters for both transmission and original Land Rover transfer case. Conversion date: 2004

"After running one of the front prototype sets since 2004. I can say this brake conversion is by far the best aftermarket braking conversion you can purchase for your Series Land Rover. On the latest incarnation of my Series, I have installed the rear set. Fantastic , no more drum brakes. This kit is not only for a person with a V8 swap or large tires. The average plain vanilla series vehicle, in my opinion, needs this brake conversion to be safe for the operator, family and other drivers, in today's conditions"

I'm not getting out of this, just to let you know. It's just good stuff.

Last edited:

greenmeanie

Adventurer
I've never seen the point is spending that kind of coin on Whitworth. Metric will work on almost all of them although you might have to gently tap a socket on depending on the quality. Other than that I would just buy a normal metric spanner and spend a couple of minutes with a file for a perfect fit at a fraction of that cost.

david despain

Adventurer
46 Bucks for 1 wrench?

If I bought a set that would be worth more than my whole truck!

I will keep looking for used ones I think.

meh. it wouldnt be the first nor certianly the last wrench or tool i spent that much on, if not more.
dont think of it as a $46 wrench; think of it as 20 bucks week.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
I've never seen the point is spending that kind of coin on Whitworth. Metric will work on almost all of them although you might have to gently tap a socket on depending on the quality. Other than that I would just buy a normal metric spanner and spend a couple of minutes with a file for a perfect fit at a fraction of that cost.

Agree 100%. I've never had a nut or bolt on any of my rovers that couldn't be removed with an SAE or Metric, 6 point, 12 point, deep or shallow socket or open end. I have no problem with someone spending their money on whitworth tools if they choose but in my experience it isn't necessary.

greenmeanie

Adventurer
Good old dino oil works just fine in these engines. I ran my 88 hard for 100K miles plus down onthe desert floor using plain old Castrol GTX 20W50 and a RM spin on oil filter adapter. Changed every 3000 miles that engine was as clean as a whistle inside for its age. If your engine is a bit funky and gunky inside a couple of cap fulls of marvel mystery oil a about 200 miles before an oil change helps to shift it. On these older engines its more about frequency of oil changes than the highest quality oil.

LR Max

Local Oaf
I run the cheapest I can find. Typically Advance auto oil (comes out of the same box as Havoline). 20w-50 and no problems.

Spin on oil filter brings the win, btw.

tacr2man

Adventurer
Dont get using fancy 5/50 synthetic as you will never have to do an oil change ,but just keep pouring it in !!

aka rover

Adventurer
Does anyone have an oil recommendation for the 2.25?

I have been using valvoline VR1 on the older motors because it still has the additive ZDDP still in it. Im not into "Snake oils" but the ZDDP makes a difference in the really old techno motors. I have seen it first hand on camshafts and rocker arms etc. the bearings will be fine but its anywhere there is a constant metal to metal wear area. Google ZDDP and make up your own mind.

Cheers Ed

greenmeanie

Adventurer
One nice thing about the Rover 2 1/4 is that it has roller tappets (cam followers in US speak?). This makes the valve train far more tolerant to modern oils than those with flat tappets. Then again, as all Rover owners know a little zinc never hurt anyone. I wouldn't seak it out specially though.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
So today was a really productive day for the 109.

I was able to replace the rear differential, replace a few interior bits, and install a new vent latch.

I'll be taking it on a 60 mile off road excursion tomorrow to test everything. It's driving like a charm.

Unfortunately pictures were limited on the Diff install because I did it all on my own :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998