Expedition Shovels

S

Street Wolf

Anyone know of a shovel that had a metal handle, such as the Hi-Lift handle all?

handleall.jpg

rezdiver

Adventurer
metal handle tools such as shovels, hammers, picks, etc.. get really old really fast. the reason wood is used is to absorb the shock transfered to your body when using it, i would hate to be digging with a shovel with a steel handle and hit a rock under the dirt, it hurts enough with a wood handle let alone a metal one.
on another note, i just hand dug and hand poured a complete foundation under my 1300sqft house ( at least 60 yards of materials shoveled) with the use of 2 old used garage sale shovels i bought for 5 dollars each, sadly one just broke, after everything we wet through together, i cant bear the thought of throwing it out, i may treat it with a new 2 dollar handle from another garage sale.
I think there is way too much money and thought being spent on such a simple tool, and manufacturers are just eating it up. your friendly local garden center is your friend, so spend the 10 dollars and support your local community and dont waste your money on a 200 dollar hilift shovel thats too shiny to use in the dirt, and comes with a metal handle.:ylsmoke:

Patman

Explorer
Steel will wear you out twice as fast as a wood handle. They weigh more, and transmit more shock to your hands and arms. Wood is much more forgiving.

I used to agree, I only picked it up after breaking countless wood and glass handles in the sandstone of my old acreage. After years, I have to admit that it is a little rougher on me, but the design has some give so its not as bad as it seems. The durability more than makes up for it.

jesusgatos

Explorer
I usually pack a folding Gerber shovel, but went ahead and bought a nice D-handled shovel at Home Depot for about $25. Made a really simple mount using a door handle (like this), which the tip of the blade fits into nicely. Drilled a hole in the handle and welded a 7/16" clevis pin to my rollcage and whammo - all done. I love it when there's a small project that I can actually complete with small parts that I can find at a local hardware store.

c3384d72-b9ca-42ea-b514-b2d2c9bd8652_300.jpg

tacoma_bedcage_tools_mounted.jpg

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I had to laugh about all the comments on how many pages were devoted to choosing a shovel, but here I go adding my 2 cents. I currently carry a USFS combi tool, basically a long handled E-tool. Pros: shovel and pick and can be set at 90 degrees to work as a large hoe. Cons: too small to shovel much dirt (or just shovel faster!), shovel blade angle is too shallow for efficent digging, locking ring is often frozen in place due to rust even though I try to oil it after each use and its not very rugged.

Just a couple of days ago I saw a new shovel on A/Ts website that looked pretty good. It has a 2 piece handle that can be configured as a short d-handle or a regular long handle model. Quite expensive at $129 and it appears to have a straight shovel blade. Anyone had any experience with this shovel? Do the joints fit tight and easy to change? Is it worth the cost as compared to dozens of other shovels noted in this thread?

Alan

Asking again: anyone tied A/Ts new shovel described above?

fishEH

Explorer
I've got a Jackson Titanium Powerstep something blah blah shovel. Picked it up from Lowes for $25. Fiberglass handle, titanium coated, and a nice large place to put your boot.
Here it is mounted to my ladder with some Yakima mounts.
P1270023.jpg

geo.greg

Observer
to mount shovel and axe i used
2 orgnial quick fist mounts (ebay) 4.00 each x 2 = $8.00
2 Yakima universal mighty mounts (4 for 40) = $20.00
4 7/15 x (forget) bolts
4 flat washers
2 fender washer
2 lock nut
hardware $2.00
total: $30.00

folded flat for storage

Attachments

• shovelrooftop.jpg
    shovelrooftop.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 28
  • bracket.jpg
    bracket.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 23

TreeTopFlyer

Adventurer
I've got a Jackson Titanium Powerstep something blah blah shovel. Picked it up from Lowes for $25. Fiberglass handle, titanium coated, and a nice large place to put your boot.
Here it is mounted to my ladder with some Yakima mounts.
P1270023.jpg

If that's a jackson shovel be careful. That handle(not the yellow fiberglass shaft) is not a solid piece of plastic. I found out the hard way. Mine broke. There is a piece of plastic running thru the blue rubber, it's not a solid rod of plastic but a + shape with rubber around it. Very flimsy. The rest of the shovel is built well, but the handle is a bad design. I hardly used mine and it broke one afternoon while camping, hit some hard dry dirt. No rocks, just hard firm dirt and it broke. I am gonna make a steel handle for it.

I'll post pics of the handle when I get home.

fishEH

Explorer
If that's a jackson shovel be careful. That handle(not the yellow fiberglass shaft) is not a solid piece of plastic. I found out the hard way. Mine broke. There is a piece of plastic running thru the blue rubber, it's not a solid rod of plastic but a + shape with rubber around it. Very flimsy. The rest of the shovel is built well, but the handle is a bad design. I hardly used mine and it broke one afternoon while camping, hit some hard dry dirt. No rocks, just hard firm dirt and it broke. I am gonna make a steel handle for it.

I'll post pics of the handle when I get home.

Dammit! Oh well, guess I'll just use it till it breaks. :D

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
i built my shovel about 8 years ago. I still have the damn thing.

i used an old shovel head, 1x1 square tubing and a welder. Cost =$0

:victory:

i just take out my grinder and sharpen it once every 3 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears