Expedition Shovels

Teamjeff

Observer
I carry the High-Lift Handle all in the Landy all the time - either "locked" under the back seats or in a Pelican case. I LOVE it. Yes, the three piece design is a bit cumbersome & you *really* should wear some good gloves while using it, actually, I use rubber/kevlar plumbers gloves to help prevent the steel handle from slipping - AXE!

I've been thinking about adding "regular" shovel to the truck though, that way friends can help dig too :ylsmoke:

Attachments

• DSC_0133.JPG
    DSC_0133.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 83

TEJASYOTA

Adventurer
This is what I use.
IMG_0042.jpg

The axe is from True Value Hardware - it was cheap.
But I have been eyeing the Fiskar/Greber version.
The shovel is from lowes... Ridgid version.

They are mounted on my bed bar.
Note the axe is now mounted blade down. :D
IMG_0040-1.jpg

trailsurfer

Explorer
Asking again: anyone tied A/Ts new shovel described above?

Ace, I bought the shovel you described from AT a couple of weeks ago. Seems to be a quality tool, and I think it will do the trick for most recovery situations. Merry Christmas, and hope to see you at Expo!

Tdaz250

I just keep a high quality regular sized shovel in the back. I think its a ridgid or something. Its pretty nice

roger352

Just got the carter shovel direct from Richard Carters for £26.99 including P&P. Theres a great guy there called Will a 4x4 guy he provided excellent service and great advice on choosing an expedition shovel. Can highly recommend the company and the product.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
roger352,

How did you order it from them? Did you just call them or was it through email? I would love to get a replacement handle for mine.

windsock

Adventurer
It makes me smile when I see all the short handled shovels here in this thread. Does no one else get stuck on their diff pumpkin anywhere else? Short handles are no good when it comes to reaching in past mud and rocks to get some clearance around the diff pumpkin. Neither are they any good in ruts where the stuck part of the wheel is inaccessible for short shafted jobbies. Great for storage though...

A shovel needs to be able to reach the diff heads on your vehicle without you placing your body/head/shoulders in a dangerous position under or near to under the stuck vehicle. I have an old forged steel spade with a "D" shaped handle and a long pipe shaft welded in place to make it able to reach down into ruts, and under my truck to free up stuck diff heads. Heavy but able to reach those hard to reach places...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger