"EXPEDITION" SHOWER MAT ON THE CHEAP

General Automag

Adventurer
I saw this very neat camping shower mat several weeks ago: http://www.expeditionops.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=170. It was listed for $119, and the price made me start thinking...

I had a few left over decking balusters http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...0053&langId=-1&keyword=baluster&storeId=10051 or "spindles" as some people call them, so I decided to make and "expedition" mat myself. I spent about $12 on a quart of spar polyurethane and gave the pieces several coats. I used a 5/16" bit to make two holes in every piece in order to connect everything together with some rather narrow bungee tie downs I had laying around http://www.amazon.com/Keeper-Corporation-Bungee-Cords-Count/dp/B00004Y62H. I have at best $25 invested in it. Of course it's not teak, but it should last just as long, and the extra $100 saved will buy us several gallons of fuel for our rigs.

I'll post pictures shortly, so tell me what you think.

Attachments

• showermat1.jpg
    showermat1.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 1,320
  • showermat2.jpg
    showermat2.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 1,296
Last edited:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I did pretty much the same thing with some left overs from some office furniture. Rather than varnish, I used some of the left over Danish Oil from the bookshelves. I usually have 20 - 30' of shock cord laying around, so the only thing I had to buy were the rubber o-rings that I used for spacers between the pieces of wood.

General Automag

Adventurer
Pictures of do-it-yourself "expedition" shower mat

Here are some pics of our homemade "expedition" shower mat (the expedition moniker still makes me chuckle :) ). I just couldn't see paying $120 for a camp shower mat... For the handle, I just wove together pieces of the bungees that I cut in order to get the plastic "balls" which I used for spacers, and it all rolls up nicely. What's great is that you can make one to any size that best suits your needs. :camping:

Attachments

• DSCF0117_2.jpg
    DSCF0117_2.jpg
    633.4 KB · Views: 131
  • DSCF0118_2.jpg
    DSCF0118_2.jpg
    643.2 KB · Views: 94
  • DSCF0116_2.jpg
    DSCF0116_2.jpg
    607.6 KB · Views: 96
  • DSCF0114_2.jpg
    DSCF0114_2.jpg
    601.1 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCF0120_2.jpg
    DSCF0120_2.jpg
    604.8 KB · Views: 76
  • showermat.jpg
    showermat.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 1,152
  • showermat2.jpg
    showermat2.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 1,146
  • showermat3.jpg
    showermat3.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 1,133
Last edited:

overlander

Expedition Leader
a rubber floor mat from the front seat of a vehicle would also work well, and prove double purpose.

General Automag

Adventurer
ANOTHER GREAT COMPANION TO THE EXPEDITION SHOWER MAT

Just today I saw this "companion table" to the "expedition shower mat." You can easily use pressure-treated decking balusters again, and it looks like you could use dowel rods or threaded rod to keep it all together. From the pictures, it looks like you could use copper pipe to make the pieces or spacers that go in between each piece of wood which should probably need to be cut approximately 1/2" long. The dimensions from the video are 1" thick by 18" long by 17" wide which works out perfectly if you use standard 1" deck balusters. With 36" deck balusters, you would only need 12 pieces. Cut all 12 pieces in half and use 10 pieces for the top and 4 pieces for the legs.

It looks as though there is a slight notch cut in the tabletop pieces where the table legs fit, and it seems you would simply need to tighten it up just enough so as to allow you to fold the legs. I love functional projects like these that you can build with the family and kids. My guess is that it will cost less than $25 to build the table, and it will be interesting to see what the vendor sells the teak table for at retail. My guess is that it will be roughly the same price as the shower mat around $120. (Thanks again to Expedition Ops for the idea!).

Attachments

• showermat4.jpg
    showermat4.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,148
  • showermat5.jpg
    showermat5.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 94
  • showermat6.jpg
    showermat6.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 1,120

ScottReb

Adventurer
Exped ops stuff rocks and Jeremy is a great guy. I completely understand doing it yourself, I built my last house myself. Jeremy source recycled wood for his mats and tables. They are also very nicely constructed, I ordered the mat while at OX 10.
He should be flattered since imitation is the sincerest form.

DontPanic42

Adventurer
I made a similar mat from scrap cypress that I got from a friend who is a wagon maker. I rubbed it down with mineral oil.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Great ideas here. I have the folding one, think it is from GSI and was $30. It isn't gonna last much longer. I was gonna get another 30 dollar one from BBB.

chet

island Explorer
I was thinking of making a shower mat from 1" PVC pipe with caps on the end... got lots of that around.

Or forget the caps, the holes for the connecting strings will allow water in. That's a good idea too. It'll be a lot lighter than the wood version too!

Xterabl

Adventurer
Was in singapore a while back and picked up a thin bambo slat bathmat for around 15 USD for exactly this purpose. It's threaded with something kinda weak like fishing line, so we'll see how long it lasts. I'll take and post a pick if I can find the darn thing.

womacje

Adventurer
Thanks for kind words. I love making these mats, they certainly serve the purpose I designed them for and more. After working in Big Box furniture design it was time to make a product that I didn't feel guilty about filling up a landfill, so Reclaimed Redwood, recycled Copper and Stainless steel were the ticket.

Thanks for the compliments and the link backs to the product page.

Keep making and keep enjoying the backcountry!

Jeremy

Ps. If you don't have the means to make one, I'll be happy to sell/make you one. Sale price is $98.99. Stand by for the finished version of the table!

frgtwn

Adventurer
How about someone notching this up a bit and making a dual purpose shower mat/traction mat? Doesn't look that difficult.

brentbba

Explorer
Jeremy - imitation is the greatest form of flatery isn't it?

I've also 'copied' the shower mat design. I didn't have any reclaimed wood around to use so I purchased a 1"x8"x8' piece of African Mahogany (had it ripped to size at the lumbar yard as I don't have a table saw), some copper tube, copper stops and plastic coated galvanized wire to make mine. I went a little bigger at 22 pieces all 22" long. Love it as both a door mat for the tent and as a shower mat. Came out so well, I made another for a buddy. With the leftovers from the two mats I'll have enough to make the new table too! Purchasing the mahogany, copper tubing, etc. all new, I've got about $35 into mine. With the time to sand the edges of each piece of wood with my belt sander overturned, cutting the copper tubing with a pipe cutter, etc. I put about 2+ hours of labor into it. Mahogany is a great outdoor wood as is, so I currently do not have any finish, oil, etc. on the wood. Wood alone ripped was around $20. I priced out teak in the same size and it would have been $95! Passed on the teak even though it would have made a beautiful piece of artwork!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior