Expedition To Wabar Meteor Crater In Empty Quarter of Arabia

maxingout

Adventurer
More than 400 years ago, a massive meteor struck and buried itself in the sand dunes of the Empty Quarter of Saudi Arabia. We decided to make an expedition to the Wabar meteor crater in our Land Rover Defenders.

Not all sand dunes are created equal, especially when you travel in the dunes of the Empty Quarter. The Empty Quarter is a massive sandbox with more than a million square miles of sand.

In the northern Empty Quarter, sandy gravel plains gradually give way to small rolling dunes which eventually evolve into isolated crescent shaped barchan dunes. Over time, these dunes coalesce and grow in height becoming progressively larger the farther south you travel. On the southern reaches of the Empty Quarter you encounter massive mountains of sand.

This article is about driving in sand for nearly eight hundred kilometers in the Empty Quarter with a specific destination in mind. We are driving to Wabar close to the center of the Empty Quarter to examine a site where a large meteor augured into the Arabian Sands.

At Wabar, an iron meteorite traveling in excess of 25,000 kilometers per hour broke into four fragments and plowed into the Arabian sands with an impact rated as a 13 kiloton explosion similar in energy to the nuclear weapon that destroyed Hiroshima in world war II. Nobody knows for sure when the meteor strike occurred, but estimates place it about 400 years ago. The largest known chunk of the iron/nickel meteorite is on display at King Saud University in Riyadh. This chunk weighs in at nearly two and a half tons.

Our expedition will drive through the Arabian sands using three vehicles giving us good redundancy just in case a vehicle breaks down in deep desert. It's highly unlikely that three vehicles would have mechanical failures on such a trip.

I have driven to the Wabar Crater three times by three different routes. The difficulty of the trip is directly related to the selected route and the season of the year. If you go in rainy season just after the rains, the trip is much easier. If you travel in June, July, or August when the desert sands have zero moisture, you are asking for an extremely difficult and arduous trip, and if you make a serious mistake, you can be dead in a few hours in the 140 degree F heat. If you travel in a shoulder season with more temperate weather, you should be fine as long as your vehicles are well equipped for deep desert exploration and survival.

To read the story of this expedition, visit: http://MaxingoutOffroad.com

Attachments

• Wabar-map.jpg
    Wabar-map.jpg
    348.8 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
Dave - wonderful report. Thanks for sharing.

Question - the amount of weight on your roof I also found stunning. Did you find the high concentration of weight to be a challenge? You must have had 400+ pounds of gear on the roof rack.

maxingout

Adventurer
Dave - wonderful report. Thanks for sharing.

Question - the amount of weight on your roof I also found stunning. Did you find the high concentration of weight to be a challenge? You must have had 400+ pounds of gear on the roof rack.

The weight is not a problem because we have vertical struts going down to the waist of the vehicle, so the weight is not on the gutters. Forward, the weight goes to the windscreen clamps. In the back, the rear struts attach to the waist of the vehicle. I have had three Defenders configured this way without a problem.

We drove in the dunes with other Defenders with the same roof rack set up, and I have never seen one of them tip over with a fully loaded rack.

The full load freaked me out at first, but after I got used to it, it was no worries. We are not cowboys. We don't do anything that could damage our vehicles. In tens of thousands of miles in the dunes, I have never had a problem.

Land rover would not officially approve what we put on top.

Cheers.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Hi Dave,

I am really enjoying reading about your trips. When did most of these happen?

Also do you think you could post them here on the portal? That way I think more of our Portal members will read them and learn about these amazing places. I think a lot of people don't follow the links because they don't realize the stories at the other end of them.

Cheers

Ray

maxingout

Adventurer
Hi Dave,

Also do you think you could post them here on the portal? That way I think more of our Portal members will read them and learn about these amazing places. I think a lot of people don't follow the links because they don't realize the stories at the other end of them.

Cheers

Ray

I was in Arabia for sixteen years and I left for the final time in 2003, at which time I went on my catamaran and finished our sailing trip around the world sailing from Australia back to the USA. Our sailing trip took eleven years because I popped in and out of Arabia to earn cash to finance the adventure.

When we were in Arabia, we did deep desert trips, and when we were outside of Arabia, we were sailing around the world. We had one Toyota Land Cruiser, and three Defenders over the years.

maxingout

Adventurer
Hi Dave,

Cheers

Ray

I could not figure out how to post the stories on the portal. I would be happy for them to be there, but the have thirty to sixty pictures plus interspersed text, and I am even having trouble posting pictures. When I put them up on a web site page, it takes about two days to crop the pictures and write the stories. Putting them up on the portal would be one more layer of challenge to figure out.

I have a bunch more trips to post, but it will take probably a month of work to get them up. I work full time as a flying doctor with the Indian Health Service flying out to the Apache, Hopi, Havasupai, Hualapai, and Mohave reservations each week. I am also running 200 web sites, and finally I am getting around to writing up the trips from Arabia.

I am planning a driving trip around the world, and so I decided it was time to get started with some over landing websites and stories from Arabia. Doing the write ups gets me excited and thinking about what I need to do to get ready for the trip. Too much to do, and too little time.

When I am not overlanding or sailing, it does not take long for my dreams to recede into the distance. I forget about my dreams, I start listening to the naysayers, and sometimes I begin to feel like my dreams are impossible. I don't want that to happen.

Cheers

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
If you need some help you can email me the text and pics and I can get them posted up on the portal.

I will PM you my email address.

Cheers

maxingout

Adventurer
In ten years of driving in the Arabian sands, it is rare to see damage to a Defender from something that you do on purpose.

1. Popping a Defender up and over a four foot slip face going against the slip face has caused two incidents. Once it broke an engine mount, and once the rear differential broke a gear from the shock loading of hitting the slip face and the gears had to be removed from the rear differential to continue the trip. Both of these were preventable damage.

2. One time a Defender broke a right front half shaft when it hit the bottom of a slip face. Usually the bottom of slip faces is gradual, but in this case it ended abruptly putting an instantaneously high strain on a forward half shaft with instant destruction.

3. One time a Defender was foolishly driven down a slip face while there were broken engine mounts, and of course, the engine slid forward engaging the radiator with destructive results. This person had been warned to not drive with broken mounts. He not only drove the vehicle, he proceeded to drive it in the sandunes with predictable results. The Defender had two forward engine mounts that were broken, and it was only the transmission mount that was keeping the engine in position when driving on the highway. We saw the vehicle being towed out of the dunes, and they told us what had happened. Obviously, this was preventable.

4. One person drove off a slip face that he did not see in a Defender, and hogging of the frame placed a crease in the sheet metal in the low left rear tail light area.

5. On another occasion, I was giving sand driving lessons in the dunes, and there was an Italian vehicle that was going down two slip faces in quick succession, but he forgot about the second slip face. He nosed in at the bottom of the second slip face with the engine instantly engaging the radiator dumping all the coolant quickly on the ground.

Driving in all sizes of dunes with fully loaded expeditionary vehicles requires care and vigilance. If you don't do stupid things, and if you treat your vehicle and the sand dunes with respect, the odds Are in your favor that you will have a great trip.

Last edited:

suntinez

Explorer
It's hard for me to wrap my mind around this much sand. :Wow1:

What a great narrative and pictures, thanks much for sharing it! I can see I'll be looking for more of your stories.

Empty-Quarter-3000.jpg

Empty-Quarter-300.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger