Expedition TrailBlazer Project

JamesDowning

Explorer
Thanks guys! I'm really happy with it... I remounted the license plate yesterday, now I need to run the wires for a light in order to be fully legal.

I also want to get a table somehow set up on the swingout... in due time.

The next project is building the on-board air system into the bumper... does it ever end!? I hope not... :ylsmoke:

John, I'm hoping to have a chance to get out to western MD in January, but my work has already booked me for some trips - hoping to still fit a little run in sometime. I'll surely let you know!

ratkin

Adventurer
Reflectors?

Quick comparison with a stock TB:
19.jpg

Thanks guys! I'm really happy with it... I remounted the license plate yesterday, now I need to run the wires for a light in order to be fully legal.

Awesome truck & bumper build! After looking at the stock bumper next to yours, it reminded me that we're supposed to have rear reflectors to stay legal in GA. VA, too?

- Richard

JamesDowning

Explorer
Thanks for the heads up. I believe it's a law here too. I actually stuck some on when I relocated the license plate the other day.

I still however need to set up the license plate light... just not enough time in the day.

JamesDowning

Explorer
Mounted the license plate and the reflectors.
20.jpg

It's also a bit dirtier this time.
21.jpg

Light mounted. Wires ran inside the tube.
22.jpg

Gas piston mounted to help control the arm. Quick disconnect on the left side of the piston. Got this idea from 02TahoeMD's rear tire carrier.
23.jpg

Details and wiring for license plate.
24.jpg

Also did a better job of mounting the gas can.
25.jpg

BryanJ027

Trailblazer modifications

alot of the modifications you have made to your trailblazer are really great and are just the thing ive been looking at doing to mine.

TKSC01

Adventurer
THe more I see this build go on, the more I lo0ve it. We had a 07 Trailblazer and we got rid of it. I wish I didnt, it looks like it can be an AWESOME four wheeler! WHO KNEW??!!!???

JamesDowning

Explorer
Thanks guys. It does make a very decent mid-size 4 wheel exploring vehicle - probably the last of an era, unless you want to go with something that's 4" off the ground and has IRS. So we get the benefits of some of the modern technology, plus a fairly stout suspension.

I'm in the process of a small rebuild due to a stupid error I made when reinstalling the passenger side CV... I guess I didn't re-seat the C-clip into the splines enough, and after many miles, it worked itself loose. It tore up a seal and a bearing, but no other apparent damage... not too bad.

Anyway, Bryan, if you're interested in similar modifications, you may want to head to offroadtb.com where I'm a co-founder. Lots of good info there that could help you out (in-case you haven't found it).

JamesDowning

Explorer
I finished up my OBA setup today. I used the tank in my rear bumper paired with my trusty old MV-50 superflow compressor. The combination produced a fairly inexpensive setup that should be pretty beefy, while occupying very little space.

The end result is a system that I can turn on anytime to charge the 4 gallon bumper tank with 110 psi of air. That air can be accessed from the quick-connect port on the rear bumper:

1.jpg

I'm using a 25 ft self-coiling hose with an ARB inflator with the OBA system. The inflator allows me to read the tire pressure instantly upon letting go of the trigger. That alone should save a good portion of time during air-up.

2.jpg

The hose doesn't have much trouble reaching the front tires, however the reach to the front passenger tire is getting towards the max reach of the hose. I'm not sure if I could air up another vehicle without having them reposition. In retrospect, I think 30 feet would have been perfect.

3.jpg

Here's the MV-50 getting prepared in the shop. The MV-50 has 3 ports, all different sizes (dumb design if you ask me). The intake port is a 1/4" NPT (where the red muffler/filter attaches). The gauge port (where I now have the output) is 1/8" NPT, and the old output (now plugged) is an M12x1mm thread. I never did find a M12x1mm ANYTHING, so I ended up jamming a M12x1.25mm plug in and cut new threads. All I needed was for it to seal anyways, and it seems to have worked ok when paired with some Teflon tape.

Downstream of the compressor, there's a one-way valve. Compressor heads can leak back through the cylinder, so I mitigated that by adding the valve.

4.jpg

Below is the MV-50 installed in the passenger side storage compartment. I wanted it to be easily accessible if needed (like if it caught fire... :shock: ).

I have heard that a big downfall with some of these MV-50 compressors was that their heads can get too hot (I've never had an issue with mine). So to try to keep the head's temperatures down, I installed a small cooling fan that runs with the compressor cycle and helps keep airflow around the head and down towards the motor.

5.jpg

Next you can see the hose routing and wiring. The hose runs from the compressor through a gasketed bulkhead fitting and into the tank port. From the tank, it runs to an aluminum manifold block. On the block, there's an emergency blowoff valve (set to 165 psi) in case the compressor switches or relays fail. There's also a pressure sensitive switch, to control the compressor, and a manual bleedoff valve, which I probably don't need. The empty ports may be used for future projects, but for now are just plugged - I wanted to make sure the system had flexibility and room to add in the future. From there, the tubing runs to the quick connect on the outside of the bumper.

6.jpg

As the gauge shows: compressor on at 90 psi, and off at 110 psi. My guess is from 0 PSI, it takes maybe 2 minutes to blow the tank up to 110 psi (but I didn't time it). The MV-50 didn't seem to have any issues with the pressures.

7.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the result so far, but only time will tell if it holds up to vibrations and abuse.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Great work as ever my friend.:) My only suggestion would be perhaps to fab up a cover or skid plate of some kind to cover the area shown in photo #6. Would hate to pick up an errant stick or other debris that may hang up on the hoses and wires and rip them loose. Love the cooling fan that runs with the compressor - wonderful idea.

Did you lose the end of your tailpipe or just have it off while doing the install work? :Wow1:

Time for an air horn!

JamesDowning

Explorer
I may create a simple guard plate for the stuff under the rear... good idea. It won't have to be much though - it's tucked pretty far up there. Maybe a plastic plate or something.

The stock TB essentially comes with a second muffler at the end, I hacked it off a few years ago and haven't felt a need to add a tip to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater