Expedition trailer build - old utility trailer

MikeyMagic

Hello everyone,

After browsing this forum for countless hours I have decided to take on a trailer build. I do not have experience with metal working, so I will be learning along the way. I look forward to hearing constructive criticism and suggestions on how I can improve my trailer. Before I began the search for a trailer platform, I gathered my thoughts on what I exactly wanted in a camping/expedition trailer. The following were my thoughts:

-fully enclosed
-atleast 2,000 lb capacity
-LIGHT
-tires matching my jeep
-small, 4x6?
-rtt?

Recently I picked up the donor trailer and brought it back home. Here it is: (my apologies for the bad quality pics, will get more up tomorrow)
S30A0075.jpg

It is in rough shape. Hope im not in over my head!

I like this trailer mainly for the fact that it already has a metal enclosure.

The axle, hubs, leafs, leaf mounts, axle perches, coupler, and quite a bit of 2 inch square tubing have all been ordered.

The steel tubing will be used to construct the new frame.

Here it is mocked up with larger tires for reference. No clue what I'll do for fenders...
S30A0084.jpg

S30A0082.jpg

Tow vehicle:
imagejpeg_2.jpg

hikingff77

Adventurer
Good luck with it and whatever you do to it. I'd love to be on my own trailer project, just too many other things to be concerned with right now. You made me miss my tj even more.

MikeyMagic

It's going to take a lot of work to get that little old Sears trailer to reliably hold 2k pounds, here is a clean example of the one you bought http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/pts/3407569558.html

Thanks for the link, nice to learn a little more about it. I had no clue it was a sears trailer. The new frame will be built from 2x2 11gauge steel tubing, I have the 2,000 lbs axle with bigger leafs and new hubs. And in all reality it's going to be tough for me to fit 2k lbs of gear in this little trailer, but after I'm done I'll be confident in the load capacity.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Yellow with a black top would be cool!
The only bad part of black is that it gets HOT to the touch.

If you go all Yellow The texters can't say they did not see it!

MikeyMagic

Yes I would really be sticking out! I dont know about the paint yet, have really just been working on the frame lately. If I go yellow I would almost have to buy chrysler solar yellow to match the jeep, anything else would be way too tough to match and if the yellows dont match its guaranteed to look like hell. Im kinda thinking all black, or wait, I do already have that gallon of "hot rod red" eastwood paint in the basement leftover from another project...hmmmmm.

Tons of parts came today. Having a major problem removing the old frame from the trailer box. Not bolted and no visible welds, will be working on it more today. Nice to have the whole week off of work to get the important stuff done! Will be picking up the steel for the frame today.

P1060496.jpg

P1060495.jpg

P1060494.jpg

P1060492.jpg

P1060490.jpg

P1060488.jpg

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Just do like the M416 trailers make some mounting tabs and mount the tub.
You could use the front and rear spring mount location for the tabs.

I like the way this member mounted his whole tub and frame onto his new extended frame.

Attachments

• Photo0208.jpg
    Photo0208.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 78

MikeyMagic

In the pictures above, I just pieced everything together to get an idea of where it will all be. I may move the axle back a bit more. And the rectangular tubing in the background will be used to reinforce the lid (in preparation for a roof rack type setup).

MikeyMagic

Just do like the M416 trailers make some mounting tabs and mount the tub.
You could use the front and rear spring mount location for the tabs.

I like the way this member mounted his whole tub and frame onto his new extended frame.

Hmmm, wish I saw that before I started cutting the old frame up with an angle grinder... and destroyed 3 cutting wheels in the process. Not sure what the next way of doing this will be. I don't have a sawzall, but that might be the ticket.

MikeyMagic

Everything is welded together and the axle is mounted up. Will be painting the frame this weekend and hopefully get the box mounted up. The tires are just junkers for now, will be putting on fullsize 33" duratracs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12