Expedition Trailer - Custom Build

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Wow...great ingenuity and layout...also working around some nice rims and wheels!!

Keep up the good work!!

Pat

Box Rocket

Good looking trailer and I like the overall design. Some nice ideas.

Maybe it's just me but I hate the look of treadplate for anything not meant to be "tread" upon.

AlexJet

Explorer
Good looking trailer and I like the overall design. Some nice ideas.

Maybe it's just me but I hate the look of treadplate for anything not meant to be "tread" upon.

It's Heavy Duty and will get scratched off-road while going through the bush, so first with checker plate it's not that noticeable and easy to touch-up, second it gives rough design.

maXTERRA

Adventurer
I went back and looked this thread over on my pc. Hard to see a lot of detail on the iphone screen...
Outstanding job and I really like the suspension, and using the using the much longer and substantial automotive srpings with supported spring eyes, HD shackles and spring mounts.

I'm thinking on an off-road trailer for myself, and leaning towards the solid axle/leaf spring setup (in lieu of independent airbag that I was first looking at) but definitely proceed as you've done with your suspension.
I believe I've already got a few sets of leaves and LOTS of shocks from all the past suspension mods I've done to other vehicles.

Awaiting more pics of the progress!:elkgrin:

AlexJet

Explorer
I went back and looked this thread over on my pc. Hard to see a lot of detail on the iphone screen...
Outstanding job and I really like the suspension, and using the using the much longer and substantial automotive srpings with supported spring eyes, HD shackles and spring mounts.

I'm thinking on an off-road trailer for myself, and leaning towards the solid axle/leaf spring setup (in lieu of independent airbag that I was first looking at) but definitely proceed as you've done with your suspension.
I believe I've already got a few sets of leaves and LOTS of shocks from all the past suspension mods I've done to other vehicles.

Awaiting more pics of the progress!:elkgrin:

Those are Jeep YJ 1.5" front lift Superride spring. They should be soft enough to give me right articulations and handle the weight. I calculate that they should be right at the trailer loaded weight.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Nice work. You do all that yourself in that little garage? Next year maybe we'll have to have an off-road trailer section at CampNL. ;)

AlexJet

Explorer
Nice work. You do all that yourself in that little garage? Next year maybe we'll have to have an off-road trailer section at CampNL. ;)

Yes, I do. You're right Rob. Most things you see on my trucks are done in the same garage and driveway as well.
It's a good idea to bring up at Camp NL....

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I ran Old Logging on Sunday (if I remember right) and I've been thinking about trying my trailer out on it. I think it was a level 2, which is as much as I want to do with my trailer.

I'm even second guessing about going next year. We'll see. I'm just not sure on the cost/benefit of it. I absolutely needed the instruction, especially in the first year. But my need for the guides, or more importantly trust of them, has waned. Some of them are great, some aren't, and you really don't know what you're going to get until you're out there.

AlexJet

Explorer
I ran Old Logging on Sunday (if I remember right) and I've been thinking about trying my trailer out on it. I think it was a level 2, which is as much as I want to do with my trailer.

I'm even second guessing about going next year. We'll see. I'm just not sure on the cost/benefit of it. I absolutely needed the instruction, especially in the first year. But my need for the guides, or more importantly trust of them, has waned. Some of them are great, some aren't, and you really don't know what you're going to get until you're out there.

I'm totally with you. This year was Ok, as some years before there was a huge problem with guiding. 2 years ago all major even were cancelled in Ontario and everybody registered for CampNL. Spots were sold in 18hr. Many who couldn't get a spot decided to take part in NL as guides and that year was the worst. I bend my quarter panel because one of those guides.
What you need to do is ask others who have been on those trails last year or whenever. It will give you an idea of how hard it is. Then there are a few nice guys there (organizers and some guides) who can give you a very good advice of would you be capable of making it through and at what cost. Be aware as many will tell you - yes, sure, you'll have fun. If you'd have any issues, just find me and I'll help you. I run most of the trails there and I'm always concern on cost as I know that the vehicle has to get my family back home. I'm for the challenge, but at reasonable cost (not loosing a vehicle on the trail) This means that if I'm or my truck is not ready for something, I may consider another trail. I usually have much information on conditions and toughness of the trails. Will be glad to help you.

P.S. I've done Old Logging on Friday and I think it was too easy for me and my truck, but would of been interesting for truck + trailer. See sometimes low level trails may give you challenge if you think how to find it.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I kinda did tow something through Old Logging on Sunday. Had a stock KJ X 2-door with factory tires on it. Dunno how many times I had to tug him. :coffeedrink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman