expedition VW beetle

s.e.charles

you may have to join to view the pictures, but i thought this a good contrast to the 3/4 mil $ rigs which have become commonplace:

463113.jpg

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I traveled/camped in '68, '69 in MO. in '73, 74 in Europe and '80 along the Gulf of Mexico. You can trick out a bug to go where no Jeep would dare, floating down a river. Bugs are cool, besides, they are quicker than those giant condos on wheels.

Hnoroian

Observer
My favorite vehicle of all time. I’ve had a few through the years with countless miles totaled up mostly across California and Nevada. Still have a ‘68 T1, but my last Baja went places my truck just couldn’t. Ultra reliable and easy to work on.

Thesamba is great info for those who need ACVW questions.

gnel

I´m sad to say that my over 50 years love affair with bugs/bajas/things has come to an end.

My first car at 16 was a 1967 bug (1500cc,1st year 12v) and being a surfer in southern California it was only natural to explore Baja wich led to a series of bajas and such.

I've owned a 63,65 (baja), 67,75 (baja),82 (class 11) and the 73 thing/safari I recently sold.

Those little guys have taken me all over Baja, Mainland Mex,Guatemala and the Rockies.

Great memories!

s.e.charles

if anyone has photos or links to how a beetle has been kitted out, please post!

i've gone the usual search route with limited success.

thanks

Jupiter58

There is a group going to be doing the TAT this summer in some Baja bugs. Should be an interesting watch!

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
Early bugs had a reputation for "falling over" in Oz, so we chose a '63 Mini 850 and drove it from Adelaide to Darwin (3,000km) and back for our honeymoon in 1967. It had a DIY roof top tent. The rear seat was removed to provide more space.

09.jpg

25.jpg

1967 Darwin 5 014.jpg

We did see a "bug" on the way north.
1967 Darwin 1 014.jpg

We then owned a '68 Mini Deluxe (998cc) and a '70 Mini K (1098cc).
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Hnoroian

Observer
if anyone has photos or links to how a beetle has been kitted out, please post!

i've gone the usual search route with limited success.

thanks
Try Google?
*VW Beetle camping
*sleeping in a VW Beetle

Seriously get thousands of photos everything from RTT’s to lay flat seats (that shifter is still a pain if you roll the wrong way). I have sport bucket seats that happen to lay flat and I have slept in them multiple nights on trips.

You won’t find much on this forum but you will in the samba. Did you recently pick up a T1, or the sorts?

s.e.charles

we're slowly getting there:

Last edited:

Hnoroian

Observer
Suspension wise, front and rear were torsion bars, so a click or two you have more spring for the extra weight. 73ish superbeetles came with front struts. A little more challenging but people swapped coils for more capacity.
Rear were all its however Pre ‘69 had swing arm.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding but you posted first about a beetle but the other two were about busses.

Hnoroian

Observer
The green one is a gorgeous split window with semaphores, can you sell invaluable!!
I really want to see the rack on it too, I’m sure it’s from the same era which is even more…So I guess Yes you can, and adding a rag to it is the ultimate dream as a collector/enthusiast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online