Expeditions 7: Two Years Around the World on all Seven Continents.

"Farewell Iceland - one of the greatest overland destinations on the planet."

When you make the effort to go there, why spend such short time?
Iceland is worthy of several months

Bruce Dorn

Nice Instagrams, Sinhue!

I'm kinda hooked on the iPhone pix too. Haven't fallen in love with the iPhone for video, however, but that cool little Steadicam Smoothee makes it MUCH more fun to use when shooting clips. On the other hand, I really, really like the GoPro on the Smoothee - lot's of fun - but I must admit that I really, really, really hate typing the word "Smoothee"...

Looks like a great segment! Wish I coulda been along to shoot some helicopter footage for the team. Looking forward to hearing about the adventure :)

B

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
Absolutely incredible. Thanks for sharing your adventure.

Cheers,

MattScott

Approved Vendor
Nice Instagrams, Sinhue!

I'm kinda hooked on the iPhone pix too. Haven't fallen in love with the iPhone for video, however, but that cool little Steadicam Smoothee makes it MUCH more fun to use when shooting clips. On the other hand, I really, really like the GoPro on the Smoothee - lot's of fun - but I must admit that I really, really, really hate typing the word "Smoothee"...

Looks like a great segment! Wish I coulda been along to shoot some helicopter footage for the team. Looking forward to hearing about the adventure :)

B

Oh no! THE BRAINNNN

Bruce Dorn

Approaching Oslo today. We'll start the process of off-loading the E7 trucks and navigating Norway's customs later this afternoon, if all goes well...

DickyBeach

On Page 11 PMichaud wrote "You and the vehicles will be up for a challenge with the Canning Stock Route at that time of year. Average temps for those months: 100 Deg F (38 Deg C) and highest rainfall time of year 1.5 to 6 in (37 to 150 mm, highest during January). Should be a challenging route! Out of interest, have you sorted out a fuel drop yet?"

I would remark:

Not only challenging but extremely foolhardy.

Too many people come to grief (death) driving in the extreme Outback in summer and in many places the police will stop you from setting off.

Although the CSR has 50 wells over its 1800km length not all of them have potable water, and the hotter the sun gets the slipperier the sand gets in the Outback.

Good Luck !!!

Last edited:

DickyBeach

DIESEL FUEL

Hi Scott,

Given that your NZ-sourced TLCs will be tuned for Low Sulfur Diesel as is mandated for NZ, Australia, USA and Europe, what will you be doing to your engines to accommodate the High Sulfur Diesel that you will be using in South America, Africa, and Asia - it is my understanding that LS Diesel is not available in those three continents.

I'm planning a RTW trip and have found this to be a major stumbling block to my wish to take a late model diesel Cruiser.

Scott Brady

Founder
Given that your NZ-sourced TLCs will be tuned for Low Sulfur Diesel as is mandated for NZ, Australia, USA and Europe, what will you be doing to your engines to accommodate the High Sulfur Diesel that you will be using in South America, Africa, and Asia - it is my understanding that LS Diesel is not available in those three continents.

Fortunately, these motors are capable of running low sulfer diesel (with impact to service life), which is available in sub 2,000 PPM in all of the countries we will be visiting. The life is highly dependent upon fuel cleanliness, much more so than sulfer level. Pumps and Cats are the most fragile. The critical consideration is proper filtration, but the NZ spec. truck lacks the particularly problematic systems like DPF, urea injection, etc.

From our research, the critical level is around 2,000ppm and in recent years, sulfer content has dropped considerably, with South Africa now offering 50ppm LSD and Argentina shifting actively to a 500 or less PPM offering and two chains of stations offering ULSD to meet incoming EURO5 cars.

The countries along the route we are doing have been dropping sulphur levels for the past few years.

DickyBeach

Fortunately, these motors are capable of running low sulfer diesel (with impact to service life), which is available in sub 2,000 PPM in all of the countries we will be visiting. The life is highly dependent upon fuel cleanliness, much more so than sulfer level. Pumps and Cats are the most fragile. The critical consideration is proper filtration, but the NZ spec. truck lacks the particularly problematic systems like DPF, urea injection, etc.

From our research, the critical level is around 2,000ppm and in recent years, sulfer content has dropped considerably, with South Africa now offering 50ppm LSD and Argentina shifting actively to a 500 or less PPM offering and two chains of stations offering ULSD to meet incoming EURO5 cars.

The countries along the route we are doing have been dropping sulphur levels for the past few years.

Okay, and thanks for the quick reply. I will now do further research in the countries I want to visit. Quite encouraging.

MattScott

Approved Vendor

Interesting, I never would have considered that.

Scott Brady

Founder
The team is starting to arrive in Norway. I spent the last few days working with the port, our customs broker and importation/customs. The Norwegians are an efficient bunch. It was interesting to hear them comment on how few tourist vehicles come into Oslo via container - maybe a dozen each year.

The trucks arrived in perfect order and with no damage. Based on our experience, the cribbing is one of the most critical components of the loading/lashing process. Big hunks of 4x4 beam are used fore and aft of the trucks to keep the vehicle from rolling or rotating. Then 10,000lb straps from each corner, compressing the suspension. The final straps are 6,000lb units placed over the tires for safety.

It is always stressful to put a truck into a container and then a serious moment of anticipation before you cut the seal bolt and open the doors. Happy they are ok and ready for the next stage of the adventure.

428877_10151242230713275_1606260204_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger