Experience with Bruin pop-up camper by Oru Designs?

gwittman

Adventurer
I am interested in this camper because they are made near me, and they are fairly light weight. I am checking to see if anyone has any experience with them.

The only thing I have found is some of the early builds appeared to have some minor build quality issues. Mostly, I would like to find out more about durability off-road or any other issue I should be concerned about. I plan to go to their factory sometime to get a closeup look at them, but I will not need it until next year sometime. I just would like more input on them for now.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I don't own one but my Brother in Law did. He had one of the first ones they built. Only build flaw on his, from what I remember, was the exterior paint started to bubble and would fill with water when he washed it or it rained. He absolutely loved it. Got rid of it because he built his own truck camper. We've been out to the desert many times and he always kept up with the rest of us. I'll post up some pics that I have when I have a moment. I always liked how the sleeping area was on struts and you could raise it to access the bed.

The company is great and when you go you'll meet the owners. Love that they are a local San Diego company too. Pretty sure they have some new designs coming.

gwittman

Adventurer
Thank you for the information. The skins are aluminum, and they probably didn't use the right primer for the paint. Aluminum requires a special primer. They probably have that figured out by now.

They make a nice looking camper. Was going to be my choice until I picked up a used habitat. I still haven't ruled them out for a future build.

Rolo1738

I've had an Oru Designs Bruin for about a year now and am happy to answer any questions you guys might have. I live in Colorado and have taken mine to both coasts, the southern border, and through Canada over about 35,000+ miles and 100+ nights in it. Mostly chasing snowstorms through ski season.

I can't say anything about early build issues (mine is a pretty early build and a touch different than the current model) but I have not had any build or paint issues whatsoever, they powdercoat the aluminum and it is very durable.

Overall, I'm very happy with mine, talking with the Oru guys to get exactly the options I wanted was great, and it has proved to be exactly what I was looking for. I was a little nervous because I did not get to see one in person before I ordered, but I did get to see (and camp with) most of the other brands (OVRLND, AT, GFC, Hiatus, etc.) and while they were all good, none of them had exactly what I wanted. The Bruin's hardwalls are an absolute game changer in wind and winter conditions, and the pricing + turnaround time can't be beat IMO. I think I got mine in 6 weeks from order to pickup. The production quality is very good, and on par (or better...) with the other brands I've seen in person.

Attachments

• IMG_8537.JPG
    IMG_8537.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 30

gwittman

Adventurer
Great. What does the Bruin offer that the Hiatus did not?

I do a lot of rough off-road and get some chassis twisting. Have you done any of this and do you think the Bruin would stand up to it well? I am not talking about high-speed runs across the desert with jumps. Just moderate rock crawling sometimes and occasionally mogul type climbs.

Do you think the canvas corners are durable? Any issues with sweating through in long term rain?

I looks like you truck has an extended like I will have. Do you think a mag mount ham antennae will fit on the cab in front of the camper overhang?

Rolo1738

Great. What does the Bruin offer that the Hiatus did not?

I do a lot of rough off-road and get some chassis twisting. Have you done any of this and do you think the Bruin would stand up to it well? I am not talking about high-speed runs across the desert with jumps. Just moderate rock crawling sometimes and occasionally mogul type climbs.

Do you think the canvas corners are durable? Any issues with sweating through in long term rain?

I looks like you truck has an extended like I will have. Do you think a mag mount ham antennae will fit on the cab in front of the camper overhang?

The biggest thing is that with the Hiatus the sidewalls are not attached to the roof, so when you pop it up from the outside it goes up part way, then you have to go inside and push it the rest of the way up. While it's part way popped, there is a huge gap where the walls have not met the ceiling yet. So, if it's snowing, windy, or your camper is wet, all of that is getting inside and dripping on your bedding. Other campers (even canvas ones) do a better job of keeping the elements off your pillow. Additionally, it's kind of a hassle to go inside and do the 'second' part of the pop-up. On my Bruin (and most others) the pop-up all happens in one motion from the outside and is very easy and seamless. Hiatus are heavier (+150lbs~ over my Bruin), twice as expensive, and take around a year from order to install. They do use a thicker wall material which is probably better for insulation, but I don't know if it's better enough to justify the other drawbacks.

Yes, I'm lifted on 33"s and frequently go offroading with my camper on. I don't do anything crazy, moderate Front Range, Moab, and San Juan wheeling but I have not noticed any real difference in performance with the camper on vs off. I have no doubts the camper can hold up to the abuse just fine I know some other guys really put these things to the test more than I do.

The canvas corners are great. I've zipped mine up and down hundreds of times and have not had any issues with them. They certainly do not let any moisture through, the material they use is a lot thicker than it looks. It's not like a lightweight tent canvas it's much beefier.

I bet you will have room for your antenna, but if you want to check, the top cabover section is 9' long even from front to back. So just measure 9' forward from your tailgate and you'll know how far over the cab the camper will go.

gwittman

Adventurer
That is very good information. I suspected the canvas on the corners is a thicker material, I just didn't know if it is durable. I will have a 6' bed so that will have an overhang over the cab of slightly less than 3' with the gap between the cab and bed. I agree it seems like I will have enough room for the ham antennae. Now I need to figure out what to do about the little antennae on the roof for my FM radio.

Thank you for the explanation of the Hiatus. I knew it was a little heavier and how it opened but was not aware of the gaps when being opened. I like the fact that it is totally a hard side without canvas though. With the options I want with the Bruin, I don't think the Hiatus is quite twice the cost. The Hiatus is more expensive though and a longer time to get it. Plus, Oru's factory it not that far from me.

I am looking forward to going to Oru's factory to get a close look at how they are built and talk with them. I appreciate your time to give me more details.

Rolo1738

Oh yeah plenty of room. I highly suggest going to check out the warehouse in person, they have a few model trucks with different campers on them so you can get a feel for different add-ons and stuff. I've been back a few times since getting my camper just to hangout and see what's new over there, cool group of people.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior