Experience With Preparing ISUZU NPS Camper: Brakes

engineer

Adventurer
when do they overheat?
How much does the exhaust brake assist?
Please describe the situation that creates the overheat

Thespoon

Observer
I've done now 90'000 kms in my NPS weighing fully loaded 5800kg and I have yet to overheat my brakes. (Done Tassie too, with all its hills) However they are some of the worst brakes I've experienced in my 53 years of driving all sorts of vehicles. Ecxept maybe that tractor built in the late fourties, I could only stop by pulling up the handbrake while stepping on the brakes with all my weight. (But I was only a 10 year old kid then)
Regards
Adrian

blackduck

Explorer
I've done now 90'000 kms in my NPS weighing fully loaded 5800kg and I have yet to overheat my brakes. (Done Tassie too, with all its hills) However they are some of the worst brakes I've experienced in my 53 years of driving all sorts of vehicles. Ecxept maybe that tractor built in the late fourties, I could only stop by pulling up the handbrake while stepping on the brakes with all my weight. (But I was only a 10 year old kid then)
Regards
Adrian

Did they have tractors back then Adrian
I was somehow picturing you behind the wheel of an OX :wings:

gait

Explorer
no overheating, exhaust brake is worth at least one gear and reduced revs downhill. Exhaust brake use in town depends on traffic and roads. Exhaust brake good when approaching roundabouts on open road. Depends on full moon which way the brakes pull when applied harshly. I briefly apply brakes in first couple of minutes every morning before I really need them. My driving style is such that I don't rely on the brakes.

Thespoon

Observer
Did they have tractors back then Adrian
I was somehow picturing you behind the wheel of an OX :wings:
Hey Stu....I don't think you know what an Ox looks like, because you will be suprised to learn that they actually don't have wheels and brakes and to pull them up all you have to do is shout "Woa"...... see, you can always learn something from a wise old man like me!!:ylsmoke:

blackduck

Explorer
Hey Stu....I don't think you know what an Ox looks like, because you will be suprised to learn that they actually don't have wheels and brakes and to pull them up all you have to do is shout "Woa"...... see, you can always learn something from a wise old man like me!!:ylsmoke:

"WOA" huh, tried that with a horse once
took me miles into the bush then let me walk home, I was screaming "WOA" all the way :Wow1:

franky

Hi Icedvovo & co. I am located in Namibia (Southern Africa) and have a NPS 300 4x4 (Single wheel application) camper truck. My brake experience is similar to yours as far as braking distance and performance is concerned (have not yet driven on a wet road to date). The truck also has drums at the front and back.
Have you by chance any news on this matter? What about your All Terrain Warriors crowd - they seem to have some experience. Furtermore is my front suspension very hard - any cure for that?
The Isuzu people in Namibia and South Africa are not very helpful to put it mildly. I have however noticed that lot of knowledge exits in Australia and hope that we can share the experiences.
Thanks Frank

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I have however noticed that lot of knowledge exits in Australia and hope that we can share the experiences.
Firstly, welcome...
You probably should dedicate some time to reading through this forum, as many of the things you want answers to have been discussed at length.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger