Explores Offroad Teardrop

Explore

Observer
So let the Madness begin... Decided that an M101 I had earlier was not going to work, we started looking in a more comfortable stlye of camping. We plan on being in various climates so a hard shell is what we decided on. After a few months of searching and debating on build a home brew, we decided to go to SoCal Teardrops. Great decision on our part.
What you see below is our "BUZZ" edition, 5x9 vice the standard 4x8, 35s to match the Jeep, no rear hatch (short family), custom front box that houses the fridge, battery, stove, propane and H2O heater. The guys at SCT did a great job and we are thrilled with the outcome!
Already planning a few upgrades, but would like to hear from fellow Expos about what items/upgrades make a world of difference...

t1.jpgt2.jpgt3.jpgt4.jpgt5.jpgt6.jpgt7.jpgt8.jpgt9.jpgt10.jpg

NetDep

Adventurer
Congrats!! Great looking Tear!! Will be keeping an eye on this thread for sure!! Well - you got one of my major mods out of the way. I got matching tires/wheels for mine. The other first thing I did was get an awning for the roof rack. Throwing a few pics of mine to see what I mean -- the awning adds a lot. You will have a blast and please share tip/tricks along the way. Oh, not sure about your mattress but I also got a bedtopper thing to make the mattress livable.

Attachments

• Memaloose_Med_Galley_Blur.jpg
    Memaloose_Med_Galley_Blur.jpg
    451.4 KB · Views: 70
  • Memaloose_Med_Blur.jpg
    Memaloose_Med_Blur.jpg
    438.8 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_8881.jpg
    IMG_8881.jpg
    467.4 KB · Views: 68
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 81

silvrzuki77

explorer
Pretty cool setup! The tongue box is pretty awesome. I see you have a ecotemp, is there a water tank? If there isnt maybe mount a tank under the back rear to help offset the tongue weight. Looks great though!

Septu

Explorer
With the customizations done, I don't think price would have been the main difference... so why not the standard kitchen off the back, vs just a stove off the front?

Otherwise, damn it looks good!

Edit, also what does this loaded out?

Last edited:

Explore

Observer
We have been looking at the water tanks (SoCals setup w/ twin tanks) & awnings !! So Im glad we're heading in the right direction.. I guess the only stipulation is -is that the awning must be able to be closed in (walls), our dog will be with us the majority of the time and will not be inside the tear at night. too damn big..
Also we are looking into a RTT for my Sons, hoping that the annex would kill to birds with one stone. Any concerns with this route vice having a seperate awning?

@ Septu: No, price was not a conern as much as the height of the trailer and the height of my family members.. With not having the rear clamshell and kitchen we gained a ton of storage/room inside the tear and have our needs met by the box in the front. The family only goes out for max 4 days at a time, while myself... If the fish are there I'm there!
We keep things simple and I feel this setup allows us the best benefit. Hell, my wife and kids will still need a stepstool to comfortablly get into the tear and fridge. ha

NikonRon

Adventurer
Just a thought, RTT and annex one side, awning on the other. Would be nice if the awning would extend over your cooking/prep area. Ron

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
A distribution tree on your Propane tank would work well.
a lantern on the top, one line to the water heater, one line to the stove and one extra.
I use the same set up and it works great.

Very nice teardrop. I do like the added space without the galley.
I could see a custom camp kitchen that slides into a rear hitch receiver.

ManleyORV

Rugged. Reliable. Ready.
Looks AWESOME! Especially with the matching 35's. Crazy that they look bigger on the trailer than the Jeep!

-Josh

Explore

Observer
Nikon Ron: thats the idea we're working now, just have to see what option are out there for a "quick release" mounting system for the RTT on the rack. I only have maybe an 1 1/2in clearance for the garage door...

Mark Harley: I am going to look into the dist. tree for the tank -I like that idea.. we were planning on using the light on the rear bumper pst for visual on the stove and fridge at night but I like the idea of a propane lantern in addition. Thank you.
Additionally, when I was sketching up the M101 for an Expo trailer we designed a camp kitchen that fit into an alum. cargo hitch setup. (the simple ones found at harbor freight) would have worked but decided to go another route. still like the idea as a stand alone setup...

Manley: 1st off -I enjoy your FB post.. follow them constantly. actually talked to you guys when you first stood up! Thank you for the words and YES they look huge on the trailer. The frame sits at 24in off the ground and 30in to the base of the door opening.. kinda tall but I could not see dragging a trailer without matching wheels.. OCD on my part.

Justin

Septu

Explorer
We have been looking at the water tanks (SoCals setup w/ twin tanks) & awnings !! So Im glad we're heading in the right direction.. I guess the only stipulation is -is that the awning must be able to be closed in (walls), our dog will be with us the majority of the time and will not be inside the tear at night. too damn big..
Also we are looking into a RTT for my Sons, hoping that the annex would kill to birds with one stone. Any concerns with this route vice having a seperate awning?

@ Septu: No, price was not a conern as much as the height of the trailer and the height of my family members.. With not having the rear clamshell and kitchen we gained a ton of storage/room inside the tear and have our needs met by the box in the front. The family only goes out for max 4 days at a time, while myself... If the fish are there I'm there!
We keep things simple and I feel this setup allows us the best benefit. Hell, my wife and kids will still need a stepstool to comfortablly get into the tear and fridge. ha

Ah, that's what you meant by short. If you don't mind me asking... how short is short - at 5-9 I'm not that tall... Thanks.

Do you know what the dry weight is ?

Explore

Observer
Im the tallest at 5-5 by 3 inches... Until my Sons grow past me -that is...

I was told the Dry weight was 1250 lbs (approx), I have not weigh it yet. Will be really looking into it once I solitify the water taks and placement. The SoCal dual setup is located just above the axle towards the rear. I believe (not certain) but I hope this should even the weight dist. out afterwards. No issues at this time though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears