Exploring topless

cocco78

Adventurer
I have a soft top and never take it off, I don't really care for the sun beating down on you. I like to have shade and weather protection. I do however always have the side and rear windows zipped out, and sometimes the doors off. Best of both words, I even have a sunrider top and tried to fold it back one day and just thought that was dumb. I always think its funny when people take their soft top off then put a bikini top on...

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I have a soft top and never take it off, I don't really care for the sun beating down on you. I like to have shade and weather protection. I do however always have the side and rear windows zipped out, and sometimes the doors off. Best of both words, I even have a sunrider top and tried to fold it back one day and just thought that was dumb. I always think its funny when people take their soft top off then put a bikini top on...

yeah, I don't like direct sun either, especially with the dog(s) in back. The mesh netting works awesome to keep the direct sun off, and still provide some protection/breeze.
On the other side, I have a bikini top for the Scout, and it works great at keeping the sun off / occasional rain shower out. So I get why people use them. Plus they just look cool.

Took me a while to warm up to the Sun Rider as well. Now, I really like. Especially if I'm just running errands, because it's so fast and easy to open-close. Same reason I like it in the sierra's. During certain times of year, intermittent rain showers come out of nowhere. I can have top closed in a matter of seconds with the Sun Rider, versus all the way down and stowed in a boot.

Have you ever gone for a week or more of exploring with this Jeep? If so, how'd you set it up?

87Warrior

GP'er
I have a soft top TJ with the full steel doors and an original Viking top (the rear windows can be stowed in the roof, now sold by Rampage). On a recent trip to Colorado (13 1/2 hour drive) I managed to make it 13 hours in 'safari mode' with the window out and stowed, through two Kansas thunderstorms and some high country rain. The drive was cozy and quieter than with the full top up. As I was nearing my destination the Colorado weather persuaded me to go back to 'full top' mode when the rain dumped, the sleet and snow started falling, and the wind was howling. My gear was getting soaked in the back and to be honest I was getting cold.

I continued to try 'safari mode' the 6 days I spent touring the Rockies and I continued to put the windows back in daily. The wind blew and it rained on me more than I recall in the last 17 years. I was happy to have the windows with me everyday, to stay warm and to keep my gear dry. I left the top in 'full mode' for my drive back home out of pure laziness.

I certainly wouldn't travel without the soft top, unless you don't mind the blazing heat, all kinds of precipitation, the cold and wind.

Last edited:

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I have a soft top TJ with the full steel doors and an original Viking top (the rear windows can be stowed in the roof). On a recent trip to Colorado (13 1/2 hour drive) I managed to make it 13 hours in 'safari mode' with the window out and stowed, through two Kansas thunderstorms and some high country rain. The drive was cozy and quieter than with the full top up. As I was nearing my destination the Colorado weather persuaded me to go back to 'full top' mode when the rain dumped, the sleet and snow started falling, and the wind was howling. My gear was getting soaked in the back and to be honest I was getting cold.

I continued to try 'safari mode' the 6 days I spent touring the Rockies and I continued to put the windows back in daily. The wind blew and it rained on me more than I recall in the last 17 years. I was happy to have the windows with me everyday, to stay warm and to keep my gear dry. I left the top in 'full mode' for my drive back home out of pure laziness.

I certainly wouldn't travel without the soft top, unless you don't mind the blazing heat, all kinds of precipitation, the cold and wind.

Man, that must have been an experience!

I also sleep in the Jeep, rather than a tent, so having the top up, and windows on at night works better for that. During the day on the trail, it's awesome to just drop the whole thing though. Which is why I've stuck with the soft top.
Thinking about getting one of the window rolls that straps to the Sport Bar. Currently I slide them under the floor mat, between fleece sheets.
Jeep Tops USA has a very nice boot, and a roll like this. May see if they offer a discount for ordering both.
http://www.jeeptopsusa.com/online-store/!/SOFT-TOP-BOOTS-2007-2016-JKU-4-Door-AVAILABLE-IN-12-SOLID-COLORS/p/54028642/category%3D13551095
http://www.jeeptopsusa.com/jeep-soft-top-storage

LoD makes a rack that allows the top to be folded back, or dropped completely pretty easy. But I'm still struggling with the whole Safari Rack concept.
https://lodoffroad.com/LoD%20Roof%20Rack/index.html

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
The LoD rack looks too "space-y" for me, like the fab fours. I like the gobi MUCH better....and you can still run the soft top with it. The more I think about the soft top here, the more its not that great. I live in the land of rain. It is the wettest place in eastern north america, so the amount of time I would use a soft top I would rather spend that money on getting my teraflex nebo rack, diff covers, and rear table!

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Yeah the whole Safari Rack thing isn't my "cup of tea" (totally personal point for my specific rig), but it's the only way to support a large awning(s) with the soft top. May look at more of an exo-cage concept when that time comes.

If I had a roof top tent, I'd be very tempted to do the LoD rack, and fabricate brackets that wrap around the support frame, so the sliding portion could slide out from under the tent. This way the sliding portion would make a nice "porch".

Definitely agree with your point on rainy areas. I don't think I'd run a soft top if the weather was wet all the time either. the Freedom panels do a great job, and are very fast to put on/take off.

GFA

Adventurer
Soft top + Gobi rack = tons of noise and flapping top. I had that setup on my last JKU and sold the gobi when I bought my new JKUR. It sure was a nice poser setup but not practical in terms of noise and extra fuel burn unless you really make use of its carrying ability on a regular basis. I had a custom made rear cargo rack that I designed so that a fridge on a slide would fit under it. The rack made it hard for a lazy thief to make off with whatever I had under it as long as it couldn't fit through the small gaps on the sides. On top of the rack you can use locking cases with a cable lock to secure them to the rack. I also have a stuffy underseat lockbox but its main use is my pistol when I can't carry it along but it will hold flashlights, cash, tools etc. Did lots of 5+ day travels like this with no issue.

Post back if you find a decent top boot, I'd like to find one myself.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
From what I've *read* (no first hand experience yet), People who have the Jeep Tops USA boot seem to like it a lot. I haven't read any negative comments. So most likely that is what will end up on this Jeep. What I like about the design, is the whole top can be pivoted up out of the way to get to the stuff in the rear.

I'm with you. Just not enamored with the full on rack setups. I think they look awesome on someone else' JK. But don't want one on mine. It's giving me cause to re-think the whole awning deal.
This winter, I'll be doing some camping/exploring in the desert. So I may try a couple of different shade options, using poles and tying off to the Jeep.

Blue Baby Sound

A guy with a Jeep
I don't have any cool stories to share..... :)

I know you're familiar with both my jeeps, on Brutus I keep my front freedom panels with me at all times, if more than 30% chance of rain they go on. Haven't had the "top" on in several months. No overnight trips but I'm not a fan of sleeping in the back w/o a top so I'm looking at RTTs as a solution for overnight with him.

The top we put on the new Willys (trektop pro) would be better for multi-night camping. The rear portions slide out, top flips back and I can seal it up pretty quick for night or bad weather.

Pic below for reference, it's a great way to wheel and easy to button up afterwards.

Hope you're doing well :26_7_2:

SheepnJeep

I know a lot of people have already tossed their two cents in at this point, but mark me down for voting to have a top on for trips. I have taken my willys jeep on weekend trips without a soft top and it can be fun, although I usually feel sun/windburned by the time I get home. We recently took the jeep to the San Juan Islands for a week and had a full canvas top on sans doors. My dad and I made it and you can roll up the sides and back window. This is great middle ground as you can roll up the windows when it gets hot but still enjoy a little shelter from the sun and rain. Without a top you can't "hide out" in the car when you need a break or a nap. This was the most important to me. At the end of the trip it was so nice to snuggle up in the jeep and nap through the ferry rides protected a little bit from the wind.

-Jesse

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I agree scott. I love the look of the gobi on other peoples jeeps. I am putting the teraflex gobi on mine. I know its not useable with a soft top and what we are talking about etc...but its so low profile, no milage or noise hit....best setup imo.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
I am a fan of soft tops. I currently have a rampage frameless on my LJ. It is noisy at highway speeds, but other than that I have no complaints really. The top portion always stays on, the allure of going completely topless faded for me after too much sunburn and too many times caught in the rain, LOL. With the framelss top, as long as the weather is relatively warm I can go from full top to safari is 5 minutes or so. Windows lay flat up top. I can pull the half door tops off and stick them in the back and roll. On my former TJ, I loved the stock top. Super easy to put up and down. With the LJ, I found it to be a 2 person job or a PIA when doing it alone.

On point of the original question regarding organizing and storage, etc... I keep thingss as simple as possible inside the jeep and use cable locks when possible on items of value. Also I have several molle panel/bag set ups to take advantage of space not used. It is a constant ongoing project that never seems to be finished evolving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle